Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gmt4
Banks aren't blogs. Banks can survive downturns by virtue of their diverse revenue streams. Blogs depend on traffic and sign up bonuses in any environment. That's all they have. TPG faces a distinct challenge to fund their large overhead of staff and office space. In an environment where unemployment is at historical highs, credit issuers aren't as loose with granting it, and there is the unknown and open ended question of COVID the question isn't whether the downturn is temporary or not, its whether they can stay both relevant and viable. Right now they are neither.
TPG is owned by a firm with diverse revenue streams. I don't think they'd shut down a site they own in a downturn, if they can just move people to other sites they own as they seem to have been doing. RedVentures literally bought a publicly traded company for over a billion dollars and took them private, adding to the companies and sites they already owned. In the scheme of things do you even think TPG made up a material portion of Bankrate's billion dollar price tag? And Bankrate is one of many companies they own, so what portion of the whole is TPG? Let's be real, they're not going anywhere. TPG will continue to be around whether we like it or not.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stuck720
TPG is owned by a firm with diverse revenue streams. I don't think they'd shut down a site they own in a downturn, if they can just move people to other sites they own as they seem to have been doing. RedVentures literally bought a publicly traded company for over a billion dollars and took them private, adding to the companies and sites they already owned. In the scheme of things do you even think TPG made up a material portion of Bankrate's billion dollar price tag? And Bankrate is one of many companies they own, so what portion of the whole is TPG? Let's be real, they're not going anywhere. TPG will continue to be around whether we like it or not.
I don't think there's a question of whether the blog will continue to exist, but whether it will continue to be able to poach reputable journalists and bring them into careers in credit card marketing, and/or keep up flooding the internet with drivel that allows it to appear first on Google anytime you try to find meaningful travel information. You do need to spend money to do that.
This particular blog's relevance is tied to its flooding the internet with constant content. If it ceases to do so, it's unclear whether it can simply ramp back up again in a year when/if travel returns
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by stuck720
In the scheme of things do you even think TPG made up a material portion of Bankrate's billion dollar price tag?
Yes.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Articles seem to be reposted more and more often. Just slap a new date on it! Zero “journalism” going on these days. Same stuff happening on Boardingarea. Everyone copying everyone else, dumping new dates on old articles.

I wonder if all blogs employ clickfarms to defraud their advertisers these days...
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
The website is getting sloppy, there are references to leaving comments but ofcourse that feature has been enhanced away!
Who proofreads and allows this garbage!

example:
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/wal...terdam-review/
" Have you ever stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam? Tell us about your experience, below."

Smart management would be sure to edit the articles for relevance.
It looks sloppy towards the investors.
hi55us likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 3, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by HadesNL
The website is getting sloppy, there are references to leaving comments but ofcourse that feature has been enhanced away!

example:
" Have you ever stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam? Tell us about your experience, below."

Smart management would be sure to edit the articles for relevance.
Perhaps the comments being turned off is temporary to ride out the COVID travel outrage?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Perhaps the comments being turned off is temporary to ride out the COVID travel outrage?
No, they couldn't take the criticism and people consistently calling them out on their crap blogging.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 11:09 am
Suspended

example:
They should have proofread a 2017 article, so it didn't reference a change they made 3 years later? Huh?

What does that even mean? Investors (or owners) don't care about something like that, they care about money. And with the current environment, I don't think they'd want someone editing years old articles removing references to comments. Or am I missing something here?
Adam1222 and mikex163 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I try to keep my criticism toned down, because I met a few of them and visited their NY office, and they are humans there (except maybe the head hauncho himself).

But taking comments away is a load of B.S.

If it had come shortly before COVID, I'd let it slide. Their biases and slants didn't bother me enough.

But we all know that they can't justify promoting leisure travel at the moment, and despite their occasional "we're not taking review trips", just this morning a new review from Disney World pops up.

Of course, I'm the type that doesn't see much hope for future improvement of our pandemic, shutdowns or no... so personally I don't care if people are traveling now. But it bothers me when an outlet that has constantly bathed itself in a holy light of leftism suddenly breaks away from that, and then immediately shuts itself off to being called out for it.

Just admit you are hypocritical and selfish like most of humanity, and move on.
Xyzzy, Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
I try to keep my criticism toned down, because I met a few of them and visited their NY office, and they are humans there (except maybe the head hauncho himself).

But taking comments away is a load of B.S.

If it had come shortly before COVID, I'd let it slide. Their biases and slants didn't bother me enough.

But we all know that they can't justify promoting leisure travel at the moment, and despite their occasional "we're not taking review trips", just this morning a new review from Disney World pops up.

Of course, I'm the type that doesn't see much hope for future improvement of our pandemic, shutdowns or no... so personally I don't care if people are traveling now. But it bothers me when an outlet that has constantly bathed itself in a holy light of leftism suddenly breaks away from that, and then immediately shuts itself off to being called out for it.

Just admit you are hypocritical and selfish like most of humanity, and move on.
Well put.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Apparently, the PR/Marketing staff at TPG is out
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Come on mods!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Apparently, the PR/Marketing staff at TPG is out
The website is an interesting place right now. "Sign up to get 100k miles!" nestled between two articles about airlines firing 10k+ people.

Hmmmm. I wonder how much those miles are worth if the airline is bankrupt?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I'm more surprised TPG has managed to say relevant for so long. Question is besides the big three will any other bloggers survive this covid crisis or pack it all up.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
They'll survive, but they'll most likely be bottom feeding more than usual in the meantime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.