Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

PH Maldives vs. W Maldives for bloggers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Why is it that many bloggers go to the PH but not to the W? Both are in the Maldives.

Is it just the easy availability of Hyatt and UR points? Bloggers love their SPG card but are they only using those points for airline transfers?

Is the PH a really great hotel when you are going for free, but compared to the other super luxurious options in the Maldives is it a dreck joint? Would anyone pay the rates the PH wants if they couldn't hack it in some fashion?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I believe most bloggers have a relationship with Chase Hyatt CC.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:00 pm

Correct me if I am wrong it is 90,000 SPG points vs 30,000 Hyatt points.

There are many flavors of Chase cards that transfer to Hyatt and with Ink flavor cards earning 5x at particular stores. You can also sign up for Hyatt cards every two years to get the free nights or sign up bonus.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

I had not considered the difference between 90k and 30k. That becomes somewhat obvious then, even with a "relationship" with Chase.

I've done a very cursory check of rates vs one of the 4S and also O&O and the PH is much less. And that's not even hacking it in any fashion.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skunker
I bet you're wrong.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I bet you're wrong.
I said I believe. You may not, but Lucky specifically mentioned that one of the reasons he was going was due to the 20% off points stays....that you get with the Chase Hyatt CC.

From MommyPoints:
The property is also a very good use of the two free nights that come via the sign-up bonus from the Chase Hyatt Visa (look for the best offer with statement credit while making a Hyatt.com reservation).
From VFTW:
I booked this as a category 6 hotel, before its recent increase to category 7. Normally that would have meant 25,000 Hyatt points per night, but with the current promotion for Hyatt Visa cardholders I got 20% of those points back. So 20,000 Gold Passport points per night, which is the lowest price it’s ever been.
All three are now pushing the Chase Sapphire Preferred and points transfers to Hyatt GP.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Correct me if I am wrong it is 90,000 SPG points vs 30,000 Hyatt points.

There are many flavors of Chase cards that transfer to Hyatt and with Ink flavor cards earning 5x at particular stores. You can also sign up for Hyatt cards every two years to get the free nights or sign up bonus.
I think you have the answer right there. 90,000 SPG points per night is just obscene.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:59 pm

Chase Hyatt has no affiliate links, which is what I imagine Seth is alluding to. Personally neither of these properties excite me, but I don't like luxury travel.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Poster

And there is also a Conrad in the Maldives...

Perhaps it is just a matter of easy to earn points...

A recent TR recently called out the Hyatt as a dump. I'm sure it's not a dump, but when you go for free, your perspective is a bit different I think.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:53 am

I said I believe. You may not,
How are you defining "most bloggers" and what a "relationship" means?

Most bloggers have no Chase CC relationships and the Hyatt card does not have any affiliate links AFAIK. If you cherry pick a couple folks/posts you can "prove" anything you want. But that's not necessarily reality.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Is it really 90k SPG?! So you are giving up 110,000 airline miles per night?! Even when I was sitting on over 1m SPG last year I would not have done this.

Ironically, despite devaluation, I have come around to thinking that the Conrad is a decent deal. May even take the family down there in the next 18 months. 76,000 Hilton per night with the elite discount is still a decent return on the cash cost of $1,500 per night inc tax.

Those Hilton points are easily picked up via Amex transfers if necessary (38,000 Amex = 76k Hilton via the UK scheme). Even Tesco to Virgin (during a 30 per cent transfer bonus) to Hilton makes some sense given the cash cost of the Conrad. You are trading £155 of supermarket vouchers for a £1,000 room.

Last edited by Raffles; May 1, 2015 at 2:43 am
Old May 1, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
76,000 Hilton per night with the elite discount is still a decent return on the cash cost of $1,500 per night inc tax.
Getting 1.9cpp from HH is a spectacular value.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
How are you defining "most bloggers" and what a "relationship" means?

Most bloggers have no Chase CC relationships and the Hyatt card does not have any affiliate links AFAIK. If you cherry pick a couple folks/posts you can "prove" anything you want. But that's not necessarily reality.
You sure about that?
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Miles Plus Explorer are all over Boarding Area. Just look at the wiki of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...rd-offers.html

And the Hyatt card may not have affiliate links now but when it came out, everyone and their mother was pushing it.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
You sure about that?
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Miles Plus Explorer are all over Boarding Area. Just look at the wiki of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...rd-offers.html

And the Hyatt card may not have affiliate links now but when it came out, everyone and their mother was pushing it.
Chase is smart. Why would they need affiliate links for the small-fry bloggers? They know that if they hit a couple of the leading bloggers, the rest will follow. FTG, The Points Guy, OMaaT, GTL have large and loyal followings, and I suspect that those four blogs (maybe along with MMS) get the vast majority of income off affiliate links. A lot of the other blogs will end up giving free publicity to Chase and other cards as a result of a "me-too" philosophy.

Think about it for a moment. What's the received wisdom on the best hotel chains? SPG and Hyatt. Marriott, IHG, Hilton all get clobbered, just as DL and Southwest do for flights. Just as some at FT like to accuse the leading bloggers of just lifting stuff off FT (maybe true some, not true to the extent alleged), the smaller bloggers are likely to parrot the received wisdom.

Thus, Chase and other travel companies that want to advertise are smart enough to figure out which blogs they need to seed. The rest, with some exceptions, such as sbm12, will follow.

As a consumer of Seth's work, I think he writes about what he wants to--and he mostly doesn't find credit card stuff interesting enough to write about. Because he has an interesting, inquiring mind, a lot of what he wants to write about is interesting to lots of folks. On the other hand, a lot of other blogs, written by folks who jumped into the pool long after the initial pioneers, write about credit cards because that's what the leading blogs are writing about--in other words, they really don't bring an interesting, unique perspective to the work. And the leading blogs are writing about credit cards because the banks make it well worth their while to do so.

The irony is that I suspect, for a significant subset of readers, sbm12's opinion about the best credit cards would carry a lot of weight--mostly because his blog is almost totally not about such things and because, even if you don't always agree with his analysis, he brings some form of independent analysis to his work. For similar reasons, I think Ric at Loyalty Traveler has a good following, though not as big as the most popular blogs, because he doesn't ignore the outlying hotel programs, like Choice, Best Western, and Wyndham.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if youre going to redeem 100K starpoints a night, at least stay at w maldives over XMAS/NYE/easter

there are other (non starwood) hotel options via starwood/credit card at that kind of award price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.