Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area installing malware [edited]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Boarding Area installing malware [edited]

Whenever visiting OMAT or VFTW I've been getting a pop up to install a virus.

And it's not just me, Lucky has a post dedicated to it:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rily-just-you/

I've scrubbed my computer clean and ran five different types of malware/virus scans. I've only seen this on Boarding Area.

Shame how low Boarding Area has sunk.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Yes, as reported in this thread, I've been getting malware popups for a few weeks:

Clicking on that link in the post above opened the worst one yet: I had to shut chrome down to get it to stop.

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 29, 2015 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:34 pm

why dont you guys just get ....... plus and quit whining. or perhaps you're not familiar as to how the internet works.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by HouFly
why dont you guys just get ....... plus and quit whining. or perhaps you're not familiar as to how the internet works.
LOL
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by HouFly
I am experiencing these popups WITH ....... plus installed in Chrome. @:-)
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I am experiencing these popups WITH ....... plus installed in Chrome. @:-)
Same here
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

....... generally hides the content but doesn't prevent the javascript which loads it from triggering. This creates a situation where the ad might load but you never see it. Best I have managed to figure out from troubleshooting it is that the redirect gets processed by the javascript before it renders so you can get hit even if you're blocking ads.

I dumped the Boarding Area ad feed, at least temporarily, because of this. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

Clicking on that link in the post above opened the worst one yet: I had to shut chrome down to get it to stop.
After receiving that warning you still clicked on the link to move forward??

That wasn't very smart.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by sbm12

I dumped the Boarding Area ad feed, at least temporarily, because of this. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.
Always the classiest in the blogosphere. Well done, sir. ^

After receiving that warning you still clicked on the link to move forward??

That wasn't very smart.
No freaking way. The popup took over my chrome without my touching anything. And at that point I could not close the popup, nor the tab nor even chrome. Then the 'warning' audio came on with the woman telling me how screwed up my computer was. I had to ctrl-alt-delete and kill chrome in task manager.

I haven't visited a BA blog since.

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 30, 2015 at 7:39 am
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:38 pm

I have pretty much stopped going to BA's website and just follow them on twitter...I wonder how many people follow both ways? If I see something on twitter that interests me, then I'll click away....
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by farbster
I have pretty much stopped going to BA's website and just follow them on twitter...I wonder how many people follow both ways? If I see something on twitter that interests me, then I'll click away....
I think that's the best way to deal with BA
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
You can install Noscript browser extension which disables this kind of nonsense for general web browsing.

It is quite restrictive, as many features of websites may not work. But you can disable Noscript for a trusted site. If a site uses so much "crapware" it can't even load you can temporarily switch to a clean browser.

It is not just BoardingArea. A visit to United Airlines shows 13 different cookies they use to track and monitor customers. Some of these are likely harmless, but is this really necessary? What exactly are these cookies doing??

- ADRA Analytics
- Doubleclick Bid Manager
- Doubleclick Floodlight
- Doubleclick Spotlight
- Ensighten
- Google Adwords Conversion
- Google Analytics
- LinkedIn Marketing
- Maxymiser
- Media Innovation Group
- Right Media
- Turn
- Xaxis

Last edited by stackm; Mar 30, 2015 at 9:23 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by stackm
It is not just BoardingArea. A visit to United Airlines shows 13 different cookies they use to track and monitor customers.
United.com never froze my Chrome.

I hope someone will report in this thread when the malware is identified and removed from Boarding Area blogs so I can start visiting them again. Please! ^
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:28 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
United.com never froze my Chrome.

I hope someone will report in this thread when the malware is identified and removed from Boarding Area blogs so I can start visiting them again. Please! ^
There is a whole family of similar malware products that pop-up on BA sites. I previously filtered out two different named one (using "Trend Micro"), and a new one with a different name mad an appearance today. It behaved that same way as the early ones.

This is it for me. Until I hear anecdotally that they have solve their problems, the six BA bookmarks I have are being erased from my browser.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:55 am

....... + Ghostery + noscript(if you really want to go all out)

Ghostery might cause some sites to stop working but you can enable things selectively. Noscript is basically the nuclear option.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Minor semantics, but there is no malware on the Boarding Area site. There is malware in some of the ads which get served up through the networks used by Boarding Area for such.

The solution will come when the ad serving situation is resolved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.