Reload this Page >

Justin Ross Lee: Travel Hacker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Justin Ross Lee: Travel Hacker

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:28 pm

At first I quite liked JRL. I saw his whole act as conscious and targeted satire at the likes of those loved and hated "elite travel hackers."

Then I looked into him a bit more, and now I'm not so sure.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The miles and points blogosphere is full of the children, grandchildren and stepchildren of FT. The same DNA runs through this place as with the boardingarea.com blogs and most of the other leading airline/hotel miles and points blogs.
If everyone's an expert then no one's an expert. Or everyone's an expert. Or something.

I receive compensation for many links on this post. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. I do not write about all credit cards that are available — instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How about the same practice on FT? The hotel and rental car forums are full of it. Or there's "fuel dumping" or how to get itineraries on AV's booking engine that violate cabotage... which even gets code talk.

I tend to think what cheeses off the people here is, well, if you're reading one of those nasty bloggers you're not part of "the club"- while ignoring that "the club" makes money for IB the same way blogs make money for their authors- clickbait, ads, signups for credit cards.

I don't see much of a distinction. There's plenty of trickery, snobbery, condescension and conspicuous consumption in the forums here (along with much good stuff), as well as in the frequent flyer blogosphere too.
THiS ^
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by HouFly
THiS ^
No, not at all

The tips I've learned from FT are legitimate. Sports fan rates for Hilton hotels; USAA codes for rental cars (to waive the underage fee); Lufthansa lounge access at DTW and IAD.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by davie355
No, not at all

The tips I've learned from FT are legitimate. Sports fan rates for Hilton hotels; USAA codes for rental cars (to waive the underage fee); Lufthansa lounge access at DTW and IAD.
Not to be a story-topper, but I met my wife thanks to FlyerTalk. ^
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
No, not at all

"I haven't seen anything untoward, so that sort of behavior must not exist."

You really don't see what's wrong with that assumption?

I've learned plenty of legitimate tips from FT as well. And seen all kind of "well, this is how you get around this (insert airline policy or rule here)". Sometimes in code words, sometimes not.

Here's an example: do you think there are FT posts on how to do hidden-city ticketing and not get caught? Do you think fuel dumps get discussed here? How about a mileage program's buggy web engine that frequently let you fly at the wrong rate on the award chart?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AFAIK JRL never tries to be a frugal CC spend mile earning traveller, he seems to spend ca$h for tickets and travels around and makes weird tweets and fb posts and supposedly sells pocket squares to make a living. Atleast when I looked at his posts from 1-2 years ago, nowadays I just notice him on my twitter feed.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No, not at all

FT is a rather diverse community. And like any large community, different people may comply (or fail to comply) in different ways when it comes to the letter of the laws/rules; and different people may have different understandings, different risk tolerance levels and different values (or a different values ladder) from one another. This means different people will use and perceive things on FT in different ways.

There is all sorts of information out there in the world, and how/why we supply the info, use the info or don't use it is what distinguishes the following: if it's a tip or not; and if it's a legitimate tip or not. Sometimes it's just information about what is possible. And sometimes it may be entertainment.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 30, 2015 at 5:32 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
No, not at all

You better be entitled to use the USAA code, else I don't want to be you when you get in an accident.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AFAIK JRL never tries to be a frugal CC spend mile earning traveller, he seems to spend ca$h for tickets and travels around and makes weird tweets and fb posts and supposedly sells pocket squares to make a living. Atleast when I looked at his posts from 1-2 years ago, nowadays I just notice him on my twitter feed.
Cash in the sense of Monopoly money since he seems to run up huge bills with the eventual intention of declaring bankruptcy.

I can live pretty well if I max out my credit and don't pay anything more than the minimums on my credit cards--at least until the companies shut me down.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

buying miles seems to work for a number of people, including business travelers

not sure about hotel points though for the bloggers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.