Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015]

Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015]

Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
That was the promise of Milepoint, too. Some interesting upgrades/options/offers which will make it interesting but I still don't know that they'll ever get to build out the community behind it which will generate the long-term traffic to sustain it. I also believe there are some specific policy choices being made for very, very wrong reasons.

Oh, and a second site featuring blogger content built to compete with the blog portal already being run by the same organization is a very, very shady move IMO.
So basically it's sounding like this will end up being rehashes of things that already exist?

Originally Posted by ingy
.... as I recall the Premium MegaDO memberships
Luckily I didn't get in on that.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 84fiero
So basically it's sounding like this will end up being rehashes of things that already exist?
Yes and no. Some of it is rebuilding things which already exist. Some is aggregating information better. Some is trying to grow/pivot/shift the focus/tone of the site.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sbm12
Oh, and a second site featuring blogger content built to compete with the blog portal already being run by the same organization is a very, very shady move IMO.
If Randy and his partners own both, why can't they cannibalize their own business? I've always read that a company should replace its outmoded product before competitors do. What am I missing?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nsx
What am I missing?
Probably the current BArea participants joined the conglomerate under certain terms, which are now being undermined by the new setup...
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what is happening to MP forum and its content
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what is happening to MP forum and its content

Hm. What if they closed MilePoint and no one noticed? I didn't...

So sounds like they will bribe folks with points of some sort to post?

And (this being Randy-led) some massive give-aways to generate interest (points instead of ipads this time)?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow...
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Hm. What if they closed MilePoint and no one noticed? I didn't...

So sounds like they will bribe folks with points of some sort to post?

And (this being Randy-led) some massive give-aways to generate interest (points instead of ipads this time)?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow...
Does a MilePoint by any other name still smell as sweet?

Sounds like a good guess about a giveaway.

- More content: So...the content elves will stop by tonight? Wonder if this is something like adding more blogs as Seth indicated upthread?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If Milepoint redesigned and renamed was able to loop in the boardingarea.com blogs' viewership en masse, that may actually do a bit for MP.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Is this a good deal? Don't bloggers always say that buying miles from airlines, even at a discount, is hardly ever a good idea?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this a good deal? Don't bloggers always say that buying miles from airlines, even at a discount, is hardly ever a good idea?
ben buys tons of miles, although mostly lifemiles?

there is an FTer who travels basically 100% on purchased miles, i get impression mostly using UA's buy 50% of award option
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Points Guy: "Though they’re not often the best ways to accrue miles, if you need to top off your frequent flyer account in a hurry and your options are limited, it can be worth it to purchase the miles you need."

OMAAT: "Don’t view buying miles as a long term investment. Miles devalue over time, so be sure you buy them with a reasonably short term use in mind.

VFTW: "I wouldn’t buy Alaska/United/Avianca miles speculatively"

FWIW, looking for these pieces of advice, I noticed that LifeMiles was running a 120% bonus recently. @:-)
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"up to" means probably little discount, but 150% bonus + 50% discount would mean 'getting' 100K miles per 33K miles bought (or 20K bought?)
must be UA? or could it be (existing) lifemiles?

lifemiles 135% bonus just ended
http://www.ausbt.com.au/avianca-life...liance-flights

OMAAT: buy them with a reasonably short term use in mind

VFTW: speculatively
= buy and book immediately
(can often change?)

ben >
in 2014 - purchased 650K
in 2013 - 400K US “Share Miles”

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 2, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

From past history this looks like UA MP miles. Most here and on MP buy these on existing bookings for less than 2cpm. I've had buy miles offers as low as 1.8cpm from UA MP recently and gave it a pass because I had no short term need.

If its AV LM points for sale the recent campaign was for 135% bonus, which is also only advisable if you have short term plans and availability.

That said, I really don't see how selling miles for cheap promotes a travel website and attracts the profile you need to get high revenue ad placement. But what do I know...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
From past history this looks like UA MP miles. Most here and on MP buy these on existing bookings for less than 2cpm. I've had buy miles offers as low as 1.8cpm from UA MP recently and gave it a pass because I had no short term need.

If its AV LM points for sale the recent campaign was for 135% bonus, which is also only advisable if you have short term plans and availability.

That said, I really don't see how selling miles for cheap promotes a travel website and attracts the profile you need to get high revenue ad placement. But what do I know...
If the deal is as it was explained to me, it is the most generous deal this particular non US airline has ever done ....
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
If the deal is as it was explained to me, it is the most generous deal this particular non US airline has ever done ....
Ah, so its one of the rogue *A carriers known for selling miles... wonderful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.