Wiki Posts
Search

Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Free t-shirts were offered at the IF UK launch party last night (which was a good event, full credit to the team). Not sure what the take up was ... Tommy probably realised his work was cut out when he saw the majority of the male audience in suits or at least 'jacket and trousers' and the women predominantly in expensive dresses.

I assume Tommy brought them over from Chicago as well ....!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Lots of launch parties (and presumably espensable / tax deductible travel expenses), but was there any indication of how they plan to drive traffic or who they are targeting with the sites? Quite frankly, the U.S. version has boring articles, a news ticker that shows month-old "news" and lots of tumbleweeds blowing through the forum.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:56 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Raffles
Free t-shirts were offered at the IF UK launch party last night (which was a good event, full credit to the team). Not sure what the take up was ... Tommy probably realised his work was cut out when he saw the majority of the male audience in suits or at least 'jacket and trousers' and the women predominantly in expensive dresses.

I assume Tommy brought them over from Chicago as well ....!
They were all taken!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Markie
They were all taken!
The men, the women, the T-shirts, or all of them?

I really can't imagine myself wearing such a T-shirt, even when neither expecting visitors nor to be out and about.

Where was my invite?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

suits or at least 'jacket and trousers' and the women predominantly in expensive dresses
a little different than US i expect
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Is IF still going?

I noted that Randy bragged about BA breaking records thanks to the *W-Marriott takeover, but not a peep about IF.
It is.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
It is.
(incidentally insideflyer.com seems to not be responding a the moment)

It would be my guess that, with the exception of the "teh box" chat thread, the entire U.S. IF site has about as much traffic as this very forum on FT. The old Milepoint was pretty low traffic in its final weeks, and it's only gone downhill since then. The news/blog posts each attract a few hundred views (they have recently removed the view and comment counts, but there is no reason to believe it has increased). Even the co-founders have, for the most part, faded into the woodwork. My guess is there is more money to be made elsewhere, "thoughtleadering" and writing credit card pitches.

It's a bit sad; I actually liked MilePoint when it had a reasonable amount of traffic.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was not overnight on FT, most posts were first day

but sure, blogs get traffic from lots of places
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
(incidentally insideflyer.com seems to not be responding a the moment)

It would be my guess that, with the exception of the "teh box" chat thread, the entire U.S. IF site has about as much traffic as this very forum on FT. The old Milepoint was pretty low traffic in its final weeks, and it's only gone downhill since then. The news/blog posts each attract a few hundred views (they have recently removed the view and comment counts, but there is no reason to believe it has increased). Even the co-founders have, for the most part, faded into the woodwork. My guess is there is more money to be made elsewhere, "thoughtleadering" and writing credit card pitches.

It's a bit sad; I actually liked MilePoint when it had a reasonable amount of traffic.
Yeah the Marriott/SPG subject has only a mere scattering of posts on IF.

- Most apparently are in "teh penalty box"
- About 12 posts in a thread on the SPG forum (several of those posts are explaining that most of the discussion is actually in "teh penalty box"
- About 12 posts in a thread on the Marriott forum and I think a separate thread in that forum with 2 posts.

I don't get why on the IF front page many of the article "tumbnails" (or whatever they are called) are repeated two or three times. Well, I guess due to lack of enough content but you'd think they would find some more elegant way to fill up the space.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I haven't been on MP for several months since a) I only have so much time to give to IBBs & FT eats up most of that time; b) the content really isn't on MP compared to FT. Just went on IF & have to say it's similar to what it was like w/ MP - aka, tumbleweeds (at least in the Marriott forum).

So will just stick w/ FT. BTW - I don't dislike Randy, Tommy, etc. It's just if I've only got x amount of time I'm going to spend it where I get the most info/return on my time.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I didn't click on the details but IF seems to be running another purchase LifeMiles promotion.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

half of last promotion was public, and other half was barely better than public
public as in direct from lifemiles for anyone, nothing to do with IF as IF (implied?)
Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:09 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Randy recently announced that BoardingArea / InsideFlyer had 101,978,302 total visits in 2015.

Is that a lot?

Looking at the IF IBB (nee MilePoint) it's business as usual: tumbleweeds and dust bunnies....
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Randy recently announced that BoardingArea / InsideFlyer had 101,978,302 total visits in 2015.

Is that a lot?

Looking at the IF IBB (nee MilePoint) it's business as usual: tumbleweeds and dust bunnies....
My little UK site got 4.2m visits if that helps contextualise. 100m is pretty chunky.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
My little UK site got 4.2m visits if that helps contextualise. 100m is pretty chunky.
I wonder how many visitors FlyerTalk had in 2015....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.