Reload this Page >

Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I would also take a job/assignment at IF with fixed pay rather than a cut
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Randy wrote:

https://insideflyer.com/2015/10/mile...lyer/#comments

"Here’s an example: we simply ran out of time because we were able to secure the LifeMiles promo for our members at the eleventh hour. We really prefer not to have that “notice” on our front page but because of the interest in such a thing (thousands of members already have registered) we did not want to miss passing along something that was exclusive to us."

(Holding added)

I find it hard to believe that there are thousands lining up for the Avianca offer. But obviously I have no insights.
Members registered does not equate with members who actually pony up $3,300+ for Lifemiles.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Liked this one:

Randy Petersen says

October 5, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Thanks, obviously like others we are encouraged with positive feedback. It starts with a clear vision of what’s over the horizon and I recall that no one understood what FlyerTalk was all about when i founded that and the same was true for BoardingArea.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Members registered does not equate with members who actually pony up $3,300+ for Lifemiles.
Yep, a lot of us just sort of automatically register for anything that comes along out of habit...a habit borne from being burned by having forgotten to register for a promo in the past!

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Liked this one:
That's pretty funny.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
... it really seems like people either fall in love with the FFP world or just barely skim the surface.
There is a lot of moola on targeting the "barely skim the surface" crowd and skinning them blind

I thought the commenter who said that TPG and MMS have succeeded commercially because they did not have the FT "baggage" made a great point.

Time will tell with IF....as it always does.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ok, so the clear vision with Milepoint was not as clear so it has become clearer with IF?

Late catching up here....as I was blindly registering for promos left and right
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Ok, so the clear vision with Milepoint was not as clear so it has become clearer with IF?

Late catching up here....as I was blindly registering for promos left and right
The vision is clear as mud:

Step 1: Collect new members
Step 2:
Step 3: Profit
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
"It starts with a clear vision of what’s over the horizon"

Maybe my vision is clouded, but slapping together a forum and a blog isn't exactly new stuff. I have been visiting sites that did that for 10+ years. And it seems that IF couldn't even integrate my forum identity with the blog comment system.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
"It starts with a clear vision of what’s over the horizon"

Maybe my vision is clouded, but slapping together a forum and a blog isn't exactly new stuff. I have been visiting sites that did that for 10+ years. And it seems that IF couldn't even integrate my forum identity with the blog comment system.
Don't forget the awards program tracking and travel tracking applications.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Liked this one:

Randy Petersen says

October 5, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Thanks, obviously like others we are encouraged with positive feedback. It starts with a clear vision of what’s over the horizon and I recall that no one understood what FlyerTalk was all about when i founded that and the same was true for BoardingArea.
I actually think the bolded part is very true. Thing is: when he says 'no one understood what FT was all about' when he founded it, I would include Randy in that group. Having watched it evolve from its infancy, it grew organically rather than by design. With crowd-sourced input, advice and free help/labor even before crowd sourcing was a thing. I would never say Randy got lucky: he was in the right space at the right time and made many right moves along the way. But to say he began FT with the end in mind is pretty revisionist.

And credit where it is due: Randy (and now his partners/employees) seem to simply try lots of stuff. A couple have been very profitable (FT and BA). Most of the others, not so much. But success isn't about how many times you get knocked down. It's about how many times you get back up.

Now...as for the unbolded part of that quote, I am sure there is a vision. But if this venture is successful I'm pretty certain it won't be based on the vision that they currently hold...
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Denny Flanagan is now an IF blogger.

Soooo...there's that!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Looks like IF picked up where MP left off... with very little "purposeful" discussion in the forums. But at least I can now learn on IF what an F stop is and how to detect counterfeit US$...

And for some reason they appear to also have removed support for https, even on the login page.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I assumed that the consolidation was, in part, based on SEO. And yet it remains a bunch of distinct URLs rather than a consolidated one. So strange.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:48 am

So, Denny goes blogging on IF...but not on Boarding Area. I am confused about the bigger picture here. Or I am just confused in general...

#developing
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by gpapadop
So, Denny goes blogging on IF...but not on Boarding Area. I am confused about the bigger picture here. Or I am just confused in general...

#developing
It is a different payment structure on IF AFAIK because of the 'curated' approach - they will not be running 2 blog articles on the same topic. The good news is that you will only need to read about the Hilton Gold becoming a new Amex Plat benefit once!

Clearly the BA structure of 'keep all the money from your links' does not work in this scenario, since Scott would end up having to fend off backhanders from those desperate to ensure 'their' article on the new SPG Amex bonus was 'the one'.

The upside is that people like Danny who have no interest in selling anything can be better rewarded.

There may be a home for TBB over at IF you want it .....!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.