Travel Education Network

Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Travel Education Network

Not to be confused with the Frequent Travel Education Foundation (FTEF) which produces the FTUs (or maybe it IS meant to be confused with the FTEF ), I stumbled across this (new?) outfit today: http://www.traveleducationnetwork.com/

Some familiar faces bringing "the TEN experience" to a city near you:

TEN will be holding courses in 20+ major US cities – from sea to shining sea – over the next year. Our cities are focused around major airline hubs and destinations, making it easier for travel enthusiasts in any city to join us for a weekend. If the timing doesn't work out for you when we come by your city, don't worry… We'll be back every few months! But if you can't wait, or our list of cities doesn't include your hometown, feel free to make a weekend of it and join us at one of our other locations. We'd be thrilled to have you and will do our best to offer "preferred pricing" options at our host hotel.
Looks like they have classes set in Atlanta, Phoenix and Miami in the first few months of 2015.

$200/day for 2 classes.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Wow, 24 sessions scheduled!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:55 pm

They are looking to sell 200 seats (50 per session, 2 sessions per day, 2 days per event) for 18 events before June. That's 3,600 seats. If you buy an entire day you only pay $200, so $100 per session; otherwise, it's $125 per session. Even if we assume 100% are going to combo purchasers, that's still $360,000 in revenue in 5 months.

Even with an established brand, significant blog promotion, significant promotion by Hyatt, significant tie-in with milepoint and a USA Today partnership, I can say that FTU is nowhere close to that level of revenue or attendance. I honestly wish them the best of luck; I think they're going to need it.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
They are looking to sell 200 seats (50 per session, 2 sessions per day, 2 days per event) for 18 events before June. That's 3,600 seats. If you buy an entire day you only pay $200, so $100 per session; otherwise, it's $125 per session. Even if we assume 100% are going to combo purchasers, that's still $360,000 in revenue in 5 months.

Even with an established brand, significant blog promotion, significant promotion by Hyatt, significant tie-in with milepoint and a USA Today partnership, I can say that FTU is nowhere close to that level of revenue or attendance. I honestly wish them the best of luck; I think they're going to need it.
I still don't know what the attendance was for the most recent FTU so can't speak to specifics. But all the blogs said they were expecting upwards of a thousand people at that one event. I presume the event fell far short of that based on how mum everyone has been about it. But it does seem to me that FTU has proven that there is a lot of demand for remedial '101' type classes this new outfit plans to offer.

And it seems smart to do little 50 person classes rather than aiming to be the 'biggest ever'. Keep it tight and intimate and keep overhead down.

I'm not the least bit surprised competition has opened up in this market. In fact I'm surprised it has taken so long. I do think they will face some marketing issues. But those can be met. Bloggers are cheap dates.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I still don't know what the attendance was for the most recent FTU so can't speak to specifics. But all the blogs said they were expecting upwards of a thousand people at that one event. I presume the event fell far short of that based on how mum everyone has been about it. But it does seem to me that FTU has proven that there is a lot of demand for remedial '101' type classes this new outfit plans to offer.

And it seems smart to do little 50 person classes rather than aiming to be the 'biggest ever'. Keep it tight and intimate and keep overhead down.

I'm not the least bit surprised competition has opened up in this market. In fact I'm surprised it has taken so long. I do think they will face some marketing issues. But those can be met. Bloggers are cheap dates.
We ended up with ~600 tickets sold for it.

We're happy to have competition, more than enough room in the miles world for all sorts of events; but anyone that thinks that it's easy money is dead wrong. Not much different from the blogs in that sense really.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
My estimate for 2014 is that about 3000 seats were offered at various events. This TEN stuff straightaway doubles the number of seats offered in 2015.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'm still surprised that none of these groups have thought to add a business travel track to their programs.

There are tons of weekly warriors out there who don't want to dabble in MS/churning and aren't interested in mileage running but who do want to up their savvy in terms of program strategy, traveling smarter, and redeeming wisely when they can finally take their hard earned vacations. I decided to go to FTU-Advanced but I have no patience for sitting through endless credit card pitches so we'll see how that goes for me.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by techgirl
I'm still surprised that none of these groups have thought to add a business travel track to their programs.

There are tons of weekly warriors out there who don't want to dabble in MS/churning and aren't interested in mileage running but who do want to up their savvy in terms of program strategy, traveling smarter, and redeeming wisely when they can finally take their hard earned vacations. I decided to go to FTU-Advanced but I have no patience for sitting through endless credit card pitches so we'll see how that goes for me.
IME, 3-4-5 types are typically smart enough to figure this stuff out for themselves without having it spoon-fed.

My guess is that you will be disappointed by the offerings. You could TEACH an advanced class. @:-)

The heart of this seminar market is the same as the heart of any seminar market: the rubes.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
You could TEACH an advanced class. @:-)
Only if it didn't involve credit card churn, manufactured spend, or mileage running. But what fun is "normal" travel?!

The heart of this seminar market is the same as the heart of any seminar market: the rubes.
Or the overly curious types.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:23 am

I decided to go to FTU-Advanced but I have no patience for sitting through endless credit card pitches so we'll see how that goes for me.
You'll be fine. With the exception of intros and conclusions, FTUA Dallas has at least two sessions every slot and it'd be pretty darn unlikely for both to be about credit cards. Additionally, your FTUA badge also gets you into regular FTU sessions, so you'll generally be able to choose from five sessions each slot.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult
You'll be fine. With the exception of intros and conclusions, FTUA Dallas has at least two sessions every slot and it'd be pretty darn unlikely for both to be about credit cards. Additionally, your FTUA badge also gets you into regular FTU sessions, so you'll generally be able to choose from five sessions each slot.
Awesome... hopefully some of those five sessions (advanced or otherwise)will be aimed at us 3-4-5 types who read all the blogs already.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Awesome... hopefully some of those five sessions (advanced or otherwise)will be aimed at us 3-4-5 types who read all the blogs already.
You're kidding, right? Hence the winkie?

Gary Leff – View from the Wing
Advanced Q & A

Ben Schlappig – One Mile at a Time
Booking Advanced Award Tickets Like a Pro

Greg Davis-Kean – Frequent Miler
Shortcuts to Elite Status

Stefan Krasowski – Rapid Travel Chai
Advanced Tricks with Credit Card Rewards

Scott Mackenzie – Travel Codex
Fare Construction and Upgrades Using ExpertFlyer

Matthew Klint – Live and Let’s Fly
Leveraging Miles for Exotic Travel

For many bloggers/speakers 'business travel' is flying to the next FTU to talk about points and miles. Or flying to The Hague...to review a hotel there.

The best resource for business travelers I have found is: http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/ Its 'just the facts' approach is pretty refreshing in the sea of 'personalities.' And it goes into issues beyond award redemptions and suite upgrades with reviews of business class products and hotels that are not easily if at all achievable with points and miles. ^ (and no, I have no financial, personal or emotional stake in it, nor do I know any of the owners or writers. I just find it to be the most geared toward 'real' business travelers of any of the external points and miles products we talk about in this forum).

YMMV!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're kidding, right? Hence the winkie?

The best resource for business travelers I have found is: http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/ - SNIP - (and no, I have no financial, personal or emotional stake in it, nor do I know any of the owners or writers.
And yet they have a bar where they talk about baby sheep... I feel like some further investigating may be needed to validate that assertion.

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....-santa-is-fat/
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: ??????????
... And it seems smart to do little 50 person classes rather than aiming to be the 'biggest ever'. Keep it tight and intimate and keep overhead down.

Intimate is the goal. I don't know how much competition is out there. Every event has very different goals and while I do think FTU and Chicago Seminars are the most alike, no one else is doing regular small events.

We're not going to have 3,4 or 5 speakers at any events. The whole team may go to a specific city, but this'll be more like any small training seminar you may have attended where you have an instructor, that often serves as a moderator for group discussion as well, and a whole series of topics to cover.

We're not foolish enough to think a day is enough for anyone to master the topics covered, but if we can help provide a foundation, teach people to fish and give back I think we've got a great chance of building up a stronger community as well.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hdawg
Intimate is the goal. I don't know how much competition is out there. Every event has very different goals and while I do think FTU and Chicago Seminars are the most alike, no one else is doing regular small events.

We're not going to have 3,4 or 5 speakers at any events. The whole team may go to a specific city, but this'll be more like any small training seminar you may have attended where you have an instructor, that often serves as a moderator for group discussion as well, and a whole series of topics to cover.

We're not foolish enough to think a day is enough for anyone to master the topics covered, but if we can help provide a foundation, teach people to fish and give back I think we've got a great chance of building up a stronger community as well.
Thanks for checking in and good luck with your venture! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.