Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Education Network

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hdawg
Intimate is the goal. I don't know how much competition is out there. Every event has very different goals and while I do think FTU and Chicago Seminars are the most alike, no one else is doing regular small events.
Ummm, well except for flyertalk Do's.... Which in some cities are pretty regular.

I've never gotten bad advice at a Do for the record - and that includes advice n Avios too
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

... teach people to fish and give back ...
Giving back to the community, one paid attendee at a time.

Don't get me wrong - I think there is a business model around this space which can be plenty profitable. But I've yet to see anyone running this sort of thing for altruistic reasons.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by freeloader
I've never gotten bad advice at a Do for the record - and that includes advice n Avios too
I expect to get hell for Avios until the day I die ... as long as I can still redeem them I'm cool with that.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Giving back to the community, one paid attendee at a time.

Don't get me wrong - I think there is a business model around this space which can be plenty profitable. But I've yet to see anyone running this sort of thing for altruistic reasons.
I hope they pay; gotta cover the cost of the food and the room ... however at the same time I can say I have a personal need to fulfill that we create educated people that can actually help foster a healthy community.

As far as any event that isn't for altruistic reasons, take a look at the Chicago Seminars. If you really don't think its 100% altruistic I'd encourage you to talk to a past attendee (or SkiAdcock who busts her butt every year running the charity raffle).
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I hope they pay; gotta cover the cost of the food and the room ... however at the same time I can say I have a personal need to fulfill that we create educated people that can actually help foster a healthy community.

As far as any event that isn't for altruistic reasons, take a look at the Chicago Seminars. If you really don't think its 100% altruistic I'd encourage you to talk to a past attendee (or SkiAdcock who busts her butt every year running the charity raffle).
Are you or more accurately TEN a for profit entity?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
A bit of nuance which probably doesn't mean much at the end of the day. The group could be a non-profit and still pay out whatever they want to those who run it or work for it.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
If you really don't think its 100% altruistic I'd encourage you to talk to a past attendee
I am a past attendee (first two CS's) and I just want to lol
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Yes, we are a for profit entity.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Looking at the schedule, $125 gets you three hours of "instruction"... In a group of up to 50 ppl. And I don't think that includes lunch.

You want to make a few bucks, fine, it's America... But I have to roll my eyes at the "I have a personal need to fulfill that we create educated people that can actually help foster a healthy community."
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:22 pm

yeah, for $250 I get a few hours with a couple of so-called experts
proven to be wrong more than once... I obviously know way more then them.
Really, an amazing chance. Can't wait.
Seriously, what's next?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:32 pm
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Best of luck to Ari and Team. We discussed the idea last August at the F2B Sessions and I'm glad to see it get out of incubation stage.

I think smaller sessions that specialize to a segment are a great idea, which is why "Family Travel for Real Life" session #2 is taking place in March in Charlotte.

That said, I charge $69 for FT4RL, the speakers come on their own dime, and it breaks even. Whether there is enough of a market for the scale of something like TEN is the question that I'm curious to follow. There's certainly the need, but do the folks who need it self-identify? I hope so.

(Full Disclosure) For me the "profit" comes in the long game of increased readership and recognition as an authority in the space. I'm willing to "work for free" with that in mind. Plus it's fun!

Last edited by The Deal Mommy; Dec 29, 2014 at 8:10 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Apparently, this entity no longer exists...?!?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Apparently, this entity no longer exists...?!?
D.E.A.D.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:35 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by thehowieee
D.E.A.D.
I am sorry to learn of that.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am sorry to learn of that.
The good news is that there were plenty of lessons learned and we definitely met some awesome people in the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.