Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Want to make a living blogging? Here is what is needed in the space.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to make a living blogging? Here is what is needed in the space.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Delta Points
I have run successful business all my life. I can tell you, as horrid as UA is, a blog that is all UA all the time and 100% knows the program, like me with Delta, can be HUGE in no time.

This comes from someone making a nice living as a full time blogger. :-:
businesses or a business?

Running a blog is not the same as running a physical business. Online ventures require practical zero sunken costs and almost no real overhead. Not applicable in the "real world".
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
businesses or a business?

Running a blog is not the same as running a physical business. Online ventures require practical zero sunken costs and almost no real overhead. Not applicable in the "real world".
Not true. Online businesses or 'Blogs' can cost thousands per month to run, and 'real businesses' can cost almost nothing.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Not true. Online businesses or 'Blogs' can cost thousands per month to run, and 'real businesses' can cost almost nothing.
If your online business operational costs are in the thousands without making any sort of profit, you really have completely mismanaged your expenses.

Rent in a physical space + basic inventory is a whole different beast compared to online sites that don't actually sell any products.

Name me one thing that would cost a BA blog "thousands of dollars". Blogs are among the most low entry barrier "ventures" one can enter. Why do you think there are so many people who aspire to be "bloggers".

The ONLY exceptions are if you are building a from scratch website that requires paying high wages to skilled programmers, or your site is already popular enough that you require many dedicated servers.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
If your online business operational costs are in the thousands without making any sort of profit, you really have completely mismanaged your expenses.

Rent in a physical space + basic inventory is a whole different beast compared to online sites that don't actually sell any products.

Name me one thing that would cost a BA blog "thousands of dollars". Blogs are among the most low entry barrier "ventures" one can enter. Why do you think there are so many people who aspire to be "bloggers".

The ONLY exceptions are if you are building a from scratch website that requires paying high wages to skilled programmers, or your site is already popular enough that you require many dedicated servers.
I'm not sure I understand your original point that online business isn't applicable in the "real world". So Business A has lower costs than Business B. What difference does it make? A blogger's income spends the same as a machine shop's income.

This thread is about whether an airline-specific blog is needed/feasible/etc - not the economics of an online vs. B&M business. Is there something about the economics of a blog that you think drives the decision whether to focus on a particular airline?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You are comparing a blog to a business that 'makes things', though.

Compared to, say, recruitment consultancy, small scale accountancy, one-man management consultancy firms, wealth advisers etc the costs are roughly the same - ie nothing.

What percentage of small business start-ups actually involve taking retail premises on day one, or investing large amounts in stock or machinery? Not that many these days.

The cost of starting a blog is obviously lower than opening a bakery but its not a lot different to becoming a recruitment consultant, for eg, where all you need is a phone.

As you get bigger your blog overheads do increase, though. I'm about to move to MailChimp instead of the free WordPress email service which adds $50 a month to overheads. I should (but so far have not) moved to a proper hosting arrangement which would be $30 a month. Other bits and pieces (back-up services, name registration, paying for some premium plug-ins) might add £1k a year, but even then you wouldn't get beyond say $3,000 pa. I can do my own accounts etc, though, which keeps down some costs.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Raffles
You are comparing a blog to a business that 'makes things', though.

Compared to, say, recruitment consultancy, small scale accountancy, one-man management consultancy firms, wealth advisers etc the costs are roughly the same - ie nothing.

What percentage of small business start-ups actually involve taking retail premises on day one, or investing large amounts in stock or machinery? Not that many these days.

The cost of starting a blog is obviously lower than opening a bakery but its not a lot different to becoming a recruitment consultant, for eg, where all you need is a phone.

As you get bigger your blog overheads do increase, though. I'm about to move to MailChimp instead of the free WordPress email service which adds $50 a month to overheads. I should (but so far have not) moved to a proper hosting arrangement which would be $30 a month. Other bits and pieces (back-up services, name registration, paying for some premium plug-ins) might add £1k a year, but even then you wouldn't get beyond say $3,000 pa. I can do my own accounts etc, though, which keeps down some costs.
My costs are far higher than that. $30 hosting plans can't handle more than a few hundred readers at any given time.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
My costs are far higher than that. $30 hosting plans can't handle more than a few hundred readers at any given time.
I do 20,000 page views a day on a $5 a month GoDaddy plan, with surprisingly good speed and minimal downtime! The only reason I think I should move is that their support is as you would expect for $5 and, if it did go down for an extended period, it would be expensive.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Raffles
I do 20,000 page views a day on a $5 a month GoDaddy plan, with surprisingly good speed and minimal downtime! The only reason I think I should move is that their support is as you would expect for $5 and, if it did go down for an extended period, it would be expensive.
That works if your traffic is spread out evenly throughout the day.

But if you post anything that goes even mildly viral and gets more than a few hundred live visitors (viewable at https://www.google.com/analytics/web/?hl=en#realtime/ ) you're going to go down on a shared hosting plan.

I'd love to be on a $5/month plan (or even a $50 or $250/month plan) but speaking from experience they're worthless when you need it most.

Good news is that you're correct, until you get big you can start up for cheap.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I have been with GoDaddy and am generally pleased. And I can't wait to see their Superbowl commercials again
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

Absolutely - but I didn't say without making a profit, I simply refuted your point that online businesses have almost no overhead. A good site has expensive hosting, and staff too - SEO experts, theme designers etc. A bespoke theme would cost those several thousand of dollars you ask about.

As Raffles mentions, other 'real businesses' that I have operated include exactly those examples, and I can generate a lot of revenue on really almost zero costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.