FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Boycott click-bait blog entries! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1627396-boycott-click-bait-blog-entries.html)

kokonutz Apr 20, 15 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by 2lovelife (Post 24691986)
There's a change in Gary's emails.

Until recently, I could read the entire article in his emails. It was great for reading on the road, out of data and wifi range, etc. Now, he only has teasers in his emails. To read the article, one must click the link.

So, while he'll still get the occasional click from me, I will now not be reading 90% of his content. And, as time passes, and I read less and less, I'm sure it will whittle down to even less, just like all the other blogers who I don't click on.

It's been fun reading your stuff. But, you have to fit to the consumers' convenience to maintain full attention.

I quit reading BA blogs for a few weeks when they had the constant malware problem.

I find that I am not really going back to them much as I just don't feel like I missed much.

<shrug>

oliver2002 Apr 20, 15 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 24693303)
I find that I am not really going back to them much as I just don't feel like I missed much.

You missed todays wow 99$ fare to Europe... erm Iceland!

kokonutz Apr 20, 15 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 24693389)
You missed todays wow 99$ fare to Europe... erm Iceland!

I would have ignored them anyway: koko don't fly coach over oceans. @:-):D

Smaug Apr 21, 15 8:06 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 24683702)
Indeed the FT front-page click-bait can be as bad as BA posts at times.

I just clicked on a story today thinking the link would to an actual FT thread about the topic in question.

It appears most links do actually go to an actual FT thread (albeit retitled), but there are some that go a short blurb followed by "For more information on this story, visit (external site)."

CMK10 Apr 21, 15 9:30 am

The Real Reason Airlines Charge Checked Bag Fees.. And Itís Not What You Think.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....omment-3898361

He argues that it's for tax reasons which means it's still a financial reason that airlines charge checked bag fees which means it is EXACTLY what you think.

oliver2002 Apr 21, 15 9:42 am

Now, now, the 'thought leader in travel' most certainly knows what you think? :p With the truncated RSS feed and email subscription its getting more are more difficult to get around the ad server and avoid click bait :(

kokonutz Apr 21, 15 10:07 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 24697435)
Now, now, the 'thought leader in travel' most certainly knows what you think? :p With the truncated RSS feed and email subscription its getting more are more difficult to get around the ad server and avoid click bait :(

I thought he was 'putting a little thought into a lot of travel.'

Did he re-brand while I was away?

ETA, apparently,yes. Hm. Thought leader in travel. Hmmmm....

As for the linked post. Sure: Duh. But his argument that quicker turns would save UA money is belied by UA reverting to the sCO earlier/longer boarding times. They'd clearly rather have the bag revenue than do quicker turns. Clearly.

IOW, The Real Reason Airlines Charge Checked Bag Fees.. And It’s Not Exactly What You Think

84fiero Apr 21, 15 10:10 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 24697577)
I thought he was 'putting a little thought into a lot of travel.'

Did he re-brand while I was away?

ETA, apparently,yes. Hm. Thought leader in travel. Hmmmm....

As for the linked post. Sure: Duh. But his argument that quicker turns would save UA money is belied by UA reverting to the sCO earlier/longer boarding times. They'd clearly rather have the bag revenue than do quicker turns. Clearly.

IOW, The Real Reason Airlines Charge Checked Bag Fees.. And Itís Not Exactly What You Think

I, for one, welcome our new Thought Leader Overlord!

I just wish that, now that he'll be leading my thoughts, he'd improve the grammar, spelling, and punctuation of said thoughts.

84fiero Jul 29, 15 7:20 pm

This Weird Trick Can Save Families On Airfare Costs

The article itself is actually fine, but wow that title! I actually only clicked from the FT front page because I thought it might be a parody - surely no one would use such a stereotypical click-bait title.

A reader commented:

Now you're using the gross clickbait "weird trick" headline? That's very disappointing.
The author's second follow-up response was interesting:

I understand your concerns. Trust me when I tell you that this is extremely frustrating for me. I have been trying my best to get this issue settled, but have been unsuccessful so far. At the end of the day, I write the articles but I do not get to choose the titles. That is the way things work at FTG. Keep in mind that unlike other similar sites, FTG is not a blog.

Kagehitokiri Jul 29, 15 8:38 pm

interesting they posted that...

wonder if similar at TPG

wonder if BA encouraged/incentivized

sbm12 Jul 30, 15 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 25193462)
wonder if BA encouraged/incentivized

Each author of a blog syndicated through Boarding Area has total editorial control, including headlines. If you'r reading it on the site it is because that's what the blog author chose to publish.

As for the assertion that FTG is not a blog and everything else is, that's hard to nail down given that there is no formal definition of what a blog is or isn't.

Kagehitokiri Jul 30, 15 12:25 pm

FTG is owned

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25195018)
Each author of a blog syndicated through Boarding Area has total editorial control, including headlines. If you'r reading it on the site it is because that's what the blog author chose to publish.

doesnt address "encouraged/incentivized"

2lovelife Jul 30, 15 12:48 pm

With the sensationalized headlines, I click through about 1/20th the amount that I used to.

sbm12 Jul 30, 15 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 25196526)
doesnt address "encouraged/incentivized"

:confused:

It does IMO. The only encouragement/incentive I have to post is personal. There is nothing handed down from "on high" telling us what to do. It is not like I get a 10% bonus in ad revenue share for using a specific type of headline.

Feel free to clarify your position on what that means to you but I think it is pretty clear.

TOMFORD Jul 30, 15 1:21 pm

I've stopped visiting any travel blog sites sing OMAAT brought so much media attention to our hobby of spending our hard earned miles/points on otherwise unreasonably pricey things.