FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Boycott click-bait blog entries! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1627396-boycott-click-bait-blog-entries.html)

nsx Feb 21, 2015 10:52 am

You may call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

I will click on an informative title because I want to learn more. And because no writer would give you the conclusion in the title if he didn't have a lot more to say about the subject.

Oh, I think I see the problem now...

TOMFORD Feb 23, 2015 11:30 am

All of what you said is good and true, except click-bait entries usually gives nothing away because there's nothing to give. If one makes 10 posts a day, sure some may be duplicates, but there will be just as many useless fluff.

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 24390749)
Clickbait within clickbait:

The link is to another blogger blogging about.....Iceland.

There, I clicked on the clickbait so you don't have to!

There are only so many ways to convey 'expertise' without giving the milk away for free.

XYZ, and here's why.

ABC, what it means/matters/doesn't matter

Dude's posting 7-10 posts a day. He's going to have to use some over and over.

Let's take a look at a recent one: Airline Fuel Surcharges May Be Illegal. Here’s Why It Won’t Matter.

My OP rant notwithstanding, you can't improve on that, and here's why. :D;):p

(I wish I could force you to click on something in order to read the rest!!!!)

You could say

Airline Fuel Surcharges May Be Illegal, But the House will Always Win Anyway.

or

Airline Fuel Surcharges May Be Illegal, But a Fee by Any Other Name...

More clever, right? But here's the rub: the headline tells the whole story. Now there is no need for me to click on the link from BA or facebook or twitter to read this:

Because that entire point...the entire point of the post...has already been conveyed in the headline. He would have already given the 'milk' away for free!

It simply doesn't PAY to have informative and/or clever headlines.

And nothing trumps the profit motive when you are running a business.

Same reason most of these folks don't post substantive stuff on FlyerTalk (or even MilePoint) anymore....they get PAID to do it in blog and seminar venues (or at least get expenses reimbursed).

kokonutz Mar 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Vftw got me good today with:

How to Use Points for Luxury Hotels That Aren’t Part of Loyalty Programs

Swallow the click bait and you get:

'You can't'.

:rolleyes:

sbm12 Mar 16, 2015 8:15 pm

About as useful as "Are Credit Cards About to Be Killed Off in Europe?" yesterday.

CMK10 Mar 16, 2015 9:43 pm

A new player on my radar:

Travel Agent Stole $782,480 From Whom?!
Incidentally, questionable use of "whom" throughout the article:

http://travelblawg.boardingarea.com/...band-boosters/

kokonutz Mar 17, 2015 7:58 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 24518121)
About as useful as "Are Credit Cards About to Be Killed Off in Europe?" yesterday.

HA! I swam right past that click bait! Fool me once and all that!!!!

nsx Apr 2, 2015 9:42 am

Pithy reader comment on yesterday's VFTW article entitled "American AAdvantage Just Made One Shocking Change to Its Terms and Conditions":

View From The Wing Started Using Terrible Upworthy-style Headlines … You Won’t Believe What Happened Next!
What happened next was that reader's comment and the fact that I reposted it here!

84fiero Apr 11, 2015 10:58 am

Today's VFTW post:

"The AAdvantage Credit Card That Earns 1.5 Miles Per Dollar on All Spend and United Club Access"

A card which is available only to residents of Puerto Rico. It's fine to point out cards for certain locations or a limited audience, so a slightly modified headline to that effect would have removed it from the Click Bait realm.

eponymous_coward Apr 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Boycott click-bait FT front page items!

http://i60.tinypic.com/2rw8bnp.jpg

Post 15 nails it:

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 24638998)
I have long wondered who chose these threads, and why they then go and "re-write" the story. But this is by far the most egregious misinterpretation I have yet seen.

skunker Apr 16, 2015 3:46 pm

VFTW: "British Airways Business Class New York – Paris Less Than $1000 Roundtrip Using a Sale and These Two Easy Tricks."

One of which just happens to be using one of his favorite credit cards.

stackm Apr 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 24676123)
VFTW: "British Airways Business Class New York – Paris Less Than $1000 Roundtrip Using a Sale and These Two Easy Tricks."

One of which just happens to be using one of his favorite credit cards.

If BA were to ban using the word "tip" or "trick" in headlines there would be no content left.

CMK10 Apr 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Lucky got in on it today:

A Guaranteed Easy Way To Reach Credit Card Minimum Spend In One Day
Turns out it's a story about his laptop needing to be replaced :rolleyes:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...Mile+at+a+Time

gpapadop Apr 18, 2015 6:05 am

Originally Posted by stackm (Post 24681005)
If BA were to ban using the word "tip" or "trick" in headlines there would be no content left.

:D ^

84fiero Apr 18, 2015 7:49 am

Indeed the FT front-page click-bait can be as bad as BA posts at times.

seanthepilot Apr 20, 2015 8:51 am

There's a change in Gary's emails.

Until recently, I could read the entire article in his emails. It was great for reading on the road, out of data and wifi range, etc. Now, he only has teasers in his emails. To read the article, one must click the link.

So, while he'll still get the occasional click from me, I will now not be reading 90% of his content. And, as time passes, and I read less and less, I'm sure it will whittle down to even less, just like all the other blogers who I don't click on.

It's been fun reading your stuff. But, you have to fit to the consumers' convenience to maintain full attention.