Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Boycott click-bait blog entries!

Boycott click-bait blog entries!

Old Dec 27, 14, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
Don't they realize that the more emails they send out, the fewer I read.
Don't you realize that you can change your email subscription settings?
Old Dec 28, 14, 11:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
You will all be happy to know that Gary Leff himself personally blocked me on Facebook because I made comments about his clickbait headlines.
Perhaps I will have better luck after posting this comment:

What’s bothering me is your titling of posts. They read like something you got from one of those clickbait generator parody sites. Please show more respect for intelligence AND for the intelligence of your content by including a complete and accurate description in the title. No more “One weird trick you should NEVER try” baloney. Just tell us what it is and trust us to decide to read it. PLEASE!

Your content is a cut above. Please use titles that are also a cut above.
Old Jan 9, 15, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was going through my Facebook newsfeed and I saw:

Don't Mess Up the New Hyatt Promo By Making This One Simple Mistake
How did I know it would be Gary?
Old Jan 9, 15, 10:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I was going through my Facebook newsfeed and I saw:

How did I know it would be Gary?
I thought he Unfriended you.
Old Jan 10, 15, 6:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Gary had an article yesterday titled "Citibank’s Huge 100,000 Mile Offer for 2 Credit Card Signups". Needless to say I got so excited and clicked on it just to find out that it's 100,000 mile offer for 2 cards (combined). Gary if I ever see you in person I will [redacted].

Last edited by oliver2002; Jan 10, 15 at 8:53 am Reason: uneccessary profanity
Old Jan 10, 15, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I thought he Unfriended you.
Oh he did, but I still follow Boarding Area's page so their status updates appear in my newsfeed.

Someone in the comments said I only complained about the Clickbait because he unfriended me. I'm not 12.
Old Jan 10, 15, 7:09 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Can't wait for Sunday morning when bloggers attempt to answer reader questions. Amazingly, they almost always revolve around "Should I get the Chase XXX card or the Amex XXX card?". And the answer is usually "Get both!"
Old Jan 11, 15, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Sometimes, though, they play it straight. OMAAT has been pretty good, for example, on the relative virtues of the Amex versus the Visa Hilton cards that come with Hilton Gold status; Gary's advice on the various cash cards (including B of A) has been pretty sound, I think. Just about anyone's advice on why you should get the Barclays US Air card I pretty much agree with as well . . . assuming AA miles are useful to you.

And then sometimes -- maybe even most of the time? -- many don't play it straight. I guess what annoys me the most is having to pick through the not-so-good to find the good. If I'm going to have to do that, why should I trust anything? What's the point?

But there is good out there. It's just hidden under a lot of bull manure.

Or you could just skip all Credit Card posts, which is what I mostly do.
Old Jan 11, 15, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Unlike some bloggers, I managed to stay awake during my college econ classes.
Gary graduated with highest honors in economics.
Old Jan 11, 15, 3:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
Can't wait for Sunday morning when bloggers attempt to answer reader questions. Amazingly, they almost always revolve around "Should I get the Chase XXX card or the Amex XXX card?". And the answer is usually "Get both!"
Hilarious, how did you ever guess?

From today's Million Mile Secrets:

Q: I知 new to this travel hacking stuff. I知 debating on getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the United Airlines credit card. Which should I get? Or can I apply for both cards at the same time?

A: Chris should get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card 1st and then apply for the United Airlines card in 3 to 4 months. I値l explain why!
Old Jan 12, 15, 4:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
From a week long of blogs pretending to be experts in travel and miles/points and all they are doing is selling plastic non stop!

http://travelbloggerbuzz.com/weekly-...travel-really/

Fighting back with satire

JeSuisTBB

I am not angry
Old Jan 12, 15, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stackm View Post
Hilarious, how did you ever guess?

From today's Million Mile Secrets:

Q: I知 new to this travel hacking stuff. I知 debating on getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the United Airlines credit card. Which should I get? Or can I apply for both cards at the same time?

A: Chris should get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card 1st and then apply for the United Airlines card in 3 to 4 months. I値l explain why!

Now this crap always amazes me, exactly how many credit cards do they honestly think people should be getting?
Old Jan 12, 15, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque View Post
Now this crap always amazes me, exactly how many credit cards do they honestly think people should be getting?
The more the better (for their pockets!). Frugal Travel Guy advice to newbies is to apply for 7 at a time...not kidding.

Sure pays better than crack
Old Jan 12, 15, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
Sure pays better than crack
...to whose crack are you referring?

Oh...you mean the drug.

Never mind...
Old Jan 13, 15, 5:36 am

For the record, I have never done crack. But I hear the Buzz you get from it is amazing! I can see it now...

"Top 10 Reasons Getting Credit Cards To Fly For Free is Better Than Crack!"

Search this Thread