Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Copy cat! Copy cat! You copy this and that!

Copy cat! Copy cat! You copy this and that!

Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl
I've caught one borrower after changing slightly the punctuation in a clip I posted on my page from a targeted promotion.

I didn't report it or make a stink, but it changed how I decided to deal with that individual in the future.
I'm not trying to tell you how to run your blog, but if I may: I would encourage you and any other blogger who catches people doing stuff like this to make a stink about it. Obviously there are shades of gray, and we may not always agree on where to draw the line, but a few of these folks are thieves, plain and simple, and they need to be confronted. As long as good people do nothing, they'll keep doing it. If I hadn't called that guy out for stealing my work, he wouldn't have been suspended from BoardingArea and he'd still be at it, possibly stealing from your blog for all I know.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good bloggers do nothing." --Edmund Burke
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:15 pm
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Sunshine is the best disinfectant. No need to be mean, but letting bad behavior stand just lets the sleazy ooze on.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gary quoted headforpoints who quoted OP...
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Oh, good, glad to know BA has standards.
But a poor understanding of copyright law?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Starwood, US Airways/The New American
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
But a poor understanding of copyright law?
Copyright law really only matters if you can afford to take BA to court
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by verygoodpoints
Copyright law really only matters if you can afford to take BA to court
DMCA take-downs are free.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:19 pm

Who copied who on the sub $400 Lima flight? While the total travel time is 20-25 hours each way on this "deal" no HT was given by either. I'm guessing TFD posted it first? Doesn't seem like a coincidence.

The Flight Deal:
http://www.theflightdeal.com/2015/07...ing-all-taxes/

Loyalty Traveler:
http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....comment-832932
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Who copied who on the sub $400 Lima flight? While the total travel time is 20-25 hours each way on this "deal" no HT was given by either. I'm guessing TFD posted it first? Doesn't seem like a coincidence.

The Flight Deal:

Loyalty Traveler:
I don't see anything indicating either post's content was copied from the other. It's not uncommon for deals to be found simultaneously or close together by those folks who are actively seeking them. If the post wording was verbatim or nearly so, that might be another matter.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I follow Ric's blog and TFD pretty religiously and while Ric has been posting flight deals more frequently over the past couple of months, IME the deals he posts rarely overlap with what the TFD find.

I consider this a coincidence and will continue following both. Of course, others are free to make their own interpretation.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

The Flight Deal:

Loyalty Traveler:
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:09 pm

No you are probably right about it being a coincidence.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Happened across this post today.

I have no problem crediting another site when I find a low fare through another site. I have credited The Flight Deal many times in the past few months since posting about airfare deals.

Finding low fares is not rocket science. A few times a day I go to Google Flights and look for fares.

I am low tech. I don't follow a bunch of blogs looking for flight deals. When I don't have the time to write a long travel post and I want to post something, I simply search Los Angeles and San Francisco on Google Flights for low fares to places.

The Flight Deal will tell you about eight different airports where you can fly to Hong Kong. My focus are deals from California where I live and I generally write about airfare deals from Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Since very good deals are often only around for a few hours, when I find a really low airfare like the Lima deal, I write my post. I do not look to see if it was posted elsewhere.

A good example happened in April when there was the $380 fare from LAX to Jakarta. I found this fare one morning when I woke up and checked Google Flights. After publishing my article, I searched to see if it was mentioned on other blogs and found The Flight Deal had posted it a few hours earlier and mentioned it was available from SJC and SNA too.

http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....-sep-dec-2015/

Then, after reading The Flight Deal, I checked SJC and SNA to verify the low fare to CGK was available from those airports. I added the SJC and SNA airport fare to the end of my post about 30 minutes after I posted the initial blog entry on Loyalty Traveler and mentioned I had seen it on The Flight Deal.

While checking SJC, I saw there was also a $389 fare on Delta from San Jose to Kuala Lumpur.

I live 75 miles from San Jose, California and I immediately booked my $389 ticket to Kuala Lumpur and then blogged about the SJC-KUL deal.

http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....-kuala-lumpur/

My objective is to put out low airfare deals from California and sometimes other airports. I intentionally don't check sites like Airfare Watchdog and The Flight Deal before doing my own searches to avoid simply copying their finds.

When I do find a deal on those sites, I credit them as the source of my find.

Nearly all the airfare deals I post are found directly from Google Flights searches.

Last edited by satori; Jul 12, 2015 at 1:09 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
My anger was not in envy, FTG. Several travel blogs lifted photos from my trip reports right here on FlyerTalk, which is unauthorized under the Creative Commons No Commercial use and No Derivative Use (NCCUNDU) license that protects them and ensures my proprietary rights.

As I said before, I sent cease and desist letters to these bloggers ordering them to take them down immediately or face legal action. I now also use reverse image search technology to discover if any other bloggers are trying to steal my photos.

And no, I'm not going to say which blogs stole them but let's just say that they were some of the prominent, clearly - commercial ones that may or may not have been mentioned previously in this topic.

Any blogger who uses MY trip report pictures for their own "opportunity" will be viciously gone after by me. I will not tolerate their theft.

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Oct 9, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the guy who became famous for SQ report also copy pasted a lot

and a 'newer' blogger on FT copy pastes a lot including into FT posts

some claimed gary "plagiarized" when he attributed
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the guy who became famous for SQ report also copy pasted a lot

and a 'newer' blogger on FT copy pastes a lot including into FT posts

some claimed gary "plagiarized" when he attributed
Thankfully, I've never had to pursue any legal action. As soon as they receive an intellectual property theft cease and desist letter, the photos are "magically" removed from the blog within 24 hours.

What these bloggers do not realize is that my photos are licensed via Creative Commons. They MAY NOT be used for commercial purposes, MAY NOT be derived from for any sort of work, and MAY NOT be used ANYWHERE without my express consent.

-LPDAL
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was funny, one FTer said the SQ guy still has some of the FTer's content up
the FTer wanted there to be a little bit still there for some reason

not everyone wants to be a public figure

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.