Wiki Posts
Search

Bloggers' Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of Them
Bloggers' Compensation

Comparing the FT universe when I first lurked nearly a decade ago, it seems that everybody and his mother has a blog these days.

The vast majority though, seem to be focused on a revenue generation (hawking credit cards, etc.) than posting quality content. Does anybody have any insight on the compensation of bloggers like TPG? It seems a bit puzzling how TPG, etc. can have so many readers when the content isn't quality but rather the quantity of posts?

Also, does anybody have any idea how much the FTG was acquired for? Its just something that is too interesting to ignore!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:53 am
Suspended

TPG has so many readers because he's basically the first stop for anyone interested in getting into 'the game'

FT is for experts/advanced

BA is too messy (in my opinion) to be a first stop for anyone

TPG has the ear of most millennial, even the 50-something crowd (somehow my dad stumbled upon him before I even told him I was doing the credit card churning/miles stuff)

His site, while vapid on content (to us), is clear, easy to access, etc.

Bloggers make revenue from a combo of: ad clicks, affiliate links, and credit card apps ($100-200/app). That money adds up quickly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:08 am

I certainly don't have any evidence but I surmise that a very high percentage of a blogger's income is the credit card conversions. I read somewhere that for certain premium cards, the commissions can be as high as $400. It would be nice if the banks would cut back drastically on how much they pay in commissions to affiliates and give more non-cash bonuses to cardholders for referrals.

As for TPG, he most be rolling in the dough even after he pays his directors, executive producers, managing editors, international travel consultants, contributors, and other writers.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bksmm
I certainly don't have any evidence but I surmise that a very high percentage of a blogger's income is the credit card conversions. I read somewhere that for certain premium cards, the commissions can be as high as $400. It would be nice if the banks would cut back drastically on how much they pay in commissions to affiliates and give more non-cash bonuses to cardholders for referrals.

As for TPG, he most be rolling in the dough even after he pays his directors, executive producers, managing editors, international travel consultants, contributors, and other writers.
High percentage: yes.

But, it's worth noting, I've made $13USD in ad clicks on my new site, despite having zero readership, and only 1 ad hidden three pages deep.

I can only imagine pages that get 40k hits per month...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I've made $13USD in ad clicks on my new site, despite having zero readership, and only 1 ad hidden three pages deep.
If you have no readers, how can you make money off ad clicks? Do you have a well trained pet?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The top 4-5 will be doing $1m plus easily and probably $3m+ at the top end. This is based on extrapolation of various factors (remember I probably have the biggest English language non US blog).

TPG has 1m monthly unique visitors. $3m would represent less than 100 apps per day at an average of $100 a pop.

Last edited by Raffles; Oct 1, 2014 at 11:10 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bksmm
If you have no readers, how can you make money off ad clicks? Do you have a well trained pet?
Rephrase: I have no readership

When I check my analytics at the end of the day, I may have 29 unique readers

That's nothing....

But someone must have been clicking, and it ain't me [strictly forbidden, obviously]
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:30 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bl540611
does anybody have any idea how much the FTG was acquired for?
IB knows and isn't saying. The former owner knows but has indicated that he is bound by an NDA. Even if he could tell us without penalty: why would he want to?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
The top 4-5 will be doing $1m plus easily and probably $3m+ at the top end

TPG has 1m monthly unique visitors. [33,333 per day] $3m would represent less than 100 apps per day [82 per day - 0.2% of 33,333] at an average of $100 a pop.
wasnt it just the top 3 who werent cut by one of the card companies for not meeting required threshold?

i cant remember how long ago it was that i heard the specific figures i heard. maybe as long as a year or two ago. which means substantial increase since then.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 1, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All of Them
And I thought $1mm was the high range...

Originally Posted by Raffles
The top 4-5 will be doing $1m plus easily and probably $3m+ at the top end. This is based on extrapolation of various factors (remember I probably have the biggest English language non US blog).

TPG has 1m monthly unique visitors. $3m would represent less than 100 apps per day at an average of $100 a pop.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

And I thought $1mm was the high range...
Same.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems a bit puzzling how TPG, etc. can have so many readers when the content isn't quality but rather the quantity of posts?
SEO matters. And the SEO on that site is pretty darn good. Even with the content having only marginal value.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Probably 95% of the money is made by 5% of points bloggers. Even if someone has affiliate links it doesn't mean they're rolling in cash.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how many blogs are there? vs only 3 that were not cut by that one card company.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 1, 2014 at 5:46 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Gosh it is funny to see that no one on the blog bashing board has any idea what they are talking about!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.