Wiki Posts
Search

Bloggers' Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:40 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Points
no one [...] has any idea what they are talking about!
That's so sweeping that it is -- unsurprisingly -- wrong.

sbm12 is absolutely right to point to exceptional SEO as one of the most important reasons TPG is so successful at attracting readers. Raffles is almost certainly right about the top four or five MPCC* bloggers bringing in over $1m of annual revenue apiece.

pricesquire is probably right about his blog possibly having 29 unique readers. And I was right about the parties to the FTG sale knowing the terms of their agreement.

*MPCC = miles, points and credit cards
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

quality? surely you jest. irrelevant, as proven by countless mainstream examples with disclosed figures.

Gosh it is funny to see that no one on the blog bashing board has any idea what they are talking about!
my source is a big name blogger, try again

and i dont care about blogs - i dont read them for anything related to travel
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Gosh it is funny to see that no one on the blog bashing board has any idea what they are talking about!
So that makes you a blogging blog bashing board basher. @:-)
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Kids,
please don't provoke or be provoked. Lotsa things to read and post about elsewhere, if you continue as above, this thread will be history.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pricesquire
TPG has so many readers because he's basically the first stop for anyone interested in getting into 'the game'

FT is for experts/advanced

BA is too messy (in my opinion) to be a first stop for anyone

TPG has the ear of most millennial, even the 50-something crowd (somehow my dad stumbled upon him before I even told him I was doing the credit card churning/miles stuff)

His site, while vapid on content (to us), is clear, easy to access, etc.

Bloggers make revenue from a combo of: ad clicks, affiliate links, and credit card apps ($100-200/app). That money adds up quickly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..
I'd argue that you could have some room for correction on the bolded.

Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:17 pm

Rephrase: I have no readership

When I check my analytics at the end of the day, I may have 29 unique readers

That's nothing....

But someone must have been clicking, and it ain't me [strictly forbidden, obviously]
Cost Per Click rates don't stay at $13 as readership increases. Rather than getting excited about that, just sum up your income from the month - I doubt it averages much more than $14, rather than $13*30.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
The top 4-5 will be doing $1m plus easily and probably $3m+ at the top end. This is based on extrapolation of various factors (remember I probably have the biggest English language non US blog).

TPG has 1m monthly unique visitors. $3m would represent less than 100 apps per day at an average of $100 a pop.
When you say 'remember I probably have the biggest English language non US blog' are you referring to you mentioning it in the past, or is there some data to support it?

I was intrigued by your claim and looked at the metric reporting sites out there and couldn't see much. Compete doesn't list you, Alexa (which is obviously awful) has you ranked over 100 - what does Google Analytic list your site as?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

brooklynmatt, the point is more about how few of this kind of blog outside US
which is what Raffles is talking about - not ANY blog, if you are implying that
Raffles has been much more specific (category of blog) in his statements in past
in discussion of points/miles/whatever blogs, theres no need for him to be repetitive

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Cost Per Click rates don't stay at $13 as readership increases. Rather than getting excited about that, just sum up your income from the month - I doubt it averages much more than $14, rather than $13*30.
pricesquire was saying $13 total, divided by clicks, not times clicks
his point was re large sites: "I can only imagine pages" - no "excitement"
and "29 unique readers" (per day?) not a specific number of clicks ("$13*30" ?)

I've made $13USD in ad clicks on my new site, despite having zero readership, and only 1 ad hidden three pages deep. I can only imagine pages that get 40k hits per month...
Rephrase: I have no readership When I check my analytics at the end of the day, I may have 29 unique readers
I'd argue that you could have some room for correction on the bolded.
blogs target mainstream new non-experts - so what are you saying?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:21 pm

brooklynmatt, the point is more about how few of this kind of blog outside US
which is what Raffles is talking about - not ANY blog, if you are implying that
Raffles has been much more specific (category of blog) in his statements in past
in discussion of points/miles/whatever blogs, theres no need for him to be repetitive
I've just seen many times how his blog has a large readership, and it now has become "probably the largest non-US" but i've only ever heard it from him - I was just wondering if I hear this regularly, if there might be something other than his opinion on it. I understand the distinction between US and non US within the niche, but it comes across as an expert opinion regarding volume/data/whatnot when it might be that the readership in question is fairly small.

blogs target mainstream new non-experts - so what are you saying?
I think that is a very limited view, assuming that all blogs are TPG designed to convert new readers, and that conversely all experts come to FT.

There are many blogs out there that aren't packaging information found within FT for the purpose of converting 'newbs' and there are many newbies that come to FT. There's also a lot more going on out there within the game than you see on a forum like this one, often with people with experience leading the way.

Now I am not saying that someone like FTG is out there innovating manufactured spend (heck they haven't figured out how Avios works yet) but to think that is all that exists is very narrow minded.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:26 pm

Oh and this:

pricesquire was saying $13 total, divided by clicks, not times clicks
his point was re large sites: "I can only imagine pages" - no "excitement"
and "29 unique readers" (per day?) not a specific number of clicks ("$13*30" ?)
My point remains - whether it is 13*30 or $13/29*40000.... it isn't a linear progression like that. 40000 views will pay maybe $20-200 using Adsense. The current number he has with a low number of views is anomalous.

Edit- it's also not uncommon to see with low readership. It just doesn't scale like that.

Last edited by brooklynmatt; Oct 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think we are interpreting what was said by Raffles and pricesquire differently.

as well as what i said, as i was not saying all blog posts are the same.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i think we are interpreting what was said by Raffles and pricesquire differently.

as well as what i said, as i was not saying all blog posts are the same.
Bingo Kagehitokiri!!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
When you say 'remember I probably have the biggest English language non US blog' are you referring to you mentioning it in the past, or is there some data to support it?

I was intrigued by your claim and looked at the metric reporting sites out there and couldn't see much. Compete doesn't list you, Alexa (which is obviously awful) has you ranked over 100 - what does Google Analytic list your site as?
Obviously the words 'miles and points' should have been included in that phrase but, to be frank, I assumed it was obvious what I meant

This is also purely my best guess based on no statistical proof whatsoever except gut feeling And, frankly, whether I am No 1 or No 3 or No 5 outside the US is totally immaterial, I only said it to make it clear that the point I was making was not made from a position of total ignorance!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Obviously the words 'miles and points' should have been included in that phrase but, to be frank, I assumed it was obvious what I meant

This is also purely my best guess based on no statistical proof whatsoever except gut feeling And, frankly, whether I am No 1 or No 3 or No 5 outside the US is totally immaterial, I only said it to make it clear that the point I was making was not made from a position of total ignorance!
There was no doubt at all we were talking within the miles and points niche. I was just wondering what sort of substantiated data there was to support you position of not total ignorance.

I just hear a lot of comments from you here and elsewhere about how high your readership is and how based on that you have insights- so I was just wondering about how it was tracked since you aren't listed particularly highly on some of the tracking platforms I've seen. But I know these do have flaws. Just general nosiness on my part.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:48 am

Bingo Kagehitokiri!!
Really? I must have missed something huge.

I thought you said with $13 from 29 uniques you could only imagine what sites with 40,000 were getting?

I interpreted that as you were speculating on what they could earn, and were using your data point as a jumping off point. I simply pointed out that one you start to see 40,000 or 400,000 you won't see the same correlation to $13 as you witnessed due to regression towards the mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.