Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Chris Elliott joins [and leaves] Boarding Area

Chris Elliott joins [and leaves] Boarding Area

Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:55 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
why not sell the blog?

I can't figure out why he would join BA for nothing without seeing if there is a market for his blog from an outside source offering him CASH for his readership?

along with a residual for further writing, consulting etc?

Joining BA for nothing seems an absurd idea to me without doing that research first?

Last edited by ingy; Oct 7, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ingy
I can't figure out why he would join BA for nothing without seeing if there is a market for his blog from an outside source offering him CASH for his readership?
Maybe he did? Have you asked??

It is also possible that he didn't want to sell out to a corporate entity and prefers to continue to exercise total control over his content rather than watching the "empire" he's built erode into crap when someone else takes over producing the content.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:48 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
Maybe he did? Have you asked??

It is also possible that he didn't want to sell out to a corporate entity and prefers to continue to exercise total control over his content rather than watching the "empire" he's built erode into crap when someone else takes over producing the content.
"empire" Interesting choice of words.

And yes I made the suggestion to Chris.

also not so sure that every "empire" is destroyed by sale to another entity, but sure not going to get into a pi$$ing match with you. Nobody wins that bloody battle as recently reported and commented on
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by ingy
also not so sure that every "empire" is destroyed by sale to another entity,
FlyerTalk is stronger than ever under the benevolent rule of IB/Carol. @:-)

Better, in some ways.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 10, 2014 at 6:31 pm
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

am i missing something? what does "join" mean?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:36 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
am i missing something? what does "join" mean?
Content is syndicated on the main Boarding Area page. Ads are served from the Boarding Area systems.

There are potentially other bits as well but these are the two main ones IMO.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:29 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
He joined, but soon became unsure what to do next. Should he add credit card affiliate links, or is just running card ads too much?

So on November 30 he asked his readers what they thought ("Now what?"), then promised the next day to make his site ad-free:

Originally Posted by Mr Elliott
Many of you also said you strongly prefer this to be a member-supported, ad-free site. I share your goal. I’ll do everything I can to make that happen.
How long before he leaves BA?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:38 am

There is no requirement for a site hosted on Boarding Area to have ads. A podcast I am part of is hosted as part of the BA community with zero ads. Having the additional resources HoM provides and the slight uptick in listeners has made it worthwhile so far, I believe.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:14 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
There is no requirement for a site hosted on Boarding Area to have ads.
Interesting. Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Chris Elliott gone from BA?

It was with much fanfare that Chris Elliott joined last year but now it seems he has disappeared. Anyone know the story?

I personally thought that he was a really poor fit considering his well-known views towards loyalty programs. Also, in my mind at least he loses a lot of his credibility because he will take on problems knowing that the reader is in the wrong just for the sake of fighting the big bad corporation. At some point responsibility has to rest with the consumer but in his eyes, the consumer can do no wrong.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by bevoinva
It was with much fanfare that Chris Elliott joined last year but now it seems he has disappeared. Anyone know the story?

I personally thought that he was a really poor fit considering his well-known views towards loyalty programs. Also, in my mind at least he loses a lot of his credibility because he will take on problems knowing that the reader is in the wrong just for the sake of fighting the big bad corporation. At some point responsibility has to rest with the consumer but in his eyes, the consumer can do no wrong.
Seems he isn't on there anymore but I don't know the story. Always thought the same about him being a poor fit. Not just because of his FFP views but many of the articles had nothing to do with travel at all (cable television, cell phones, etc.). Some days there would be 2-3 Elliott posts on the front page and none were travel related.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Interesting. Gary ran a post attacking Chris last week (like he used to do before he joined BA) and I thought it was a bit odd as he was one of the team. But clearly he isn't!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i always thought it was to obtain traffic when BA linked elliott
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
The (surely knowing and deliberate) lack of sophistication in most of his posts was a real disgrace: stuff like My Airline Took My Miles . . . as though there weren't any such thing as expiration if you never fly.

How stupid did he think we were? Well, evidently not stupid enough. Or profitable enough. Or both.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.