Frequent Traveler University (FTU) Events [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Traveler University (FTU) Events [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by trigleek
Thanks rehoult! I'm curious whether lunch and the cocktail social are the same for both FTU & FTU Advanced. I have a friend who is registered for FTU Advanced and we might have a newbie who is interested in going to FTU.
FTUA attendees get upgrades lunches (in a separate venue), and they are invited to an event prior to the Hyatt / Milepoint Holiday Party on Friday night. However, an FTUA attendee would be able to have lunch at the regular FTU if they wanted to.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:26 am

A new development: Folks that purchase tickets for FTU in DC this December can receive Hyatt Platinum status on request.

How long will status be valid?

Hyatt Platinum status through this offer will be valid through 2/2016

How long will it take for my account to update to Platinum?

Expect 4-6 weeks.

Do I have to wait for the event to get my Platinum status?

Nope. Once you've purchased tickets you can request Platinum status -- that way, if you buy your tickets early enough, you can even benefit from the status while staying at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City for the event.

How do I request Platinum status?

Send your request for Platinum status, along with your full name and Gold Passport number, to [email protected]

She will verify that you have registered and paid for FTU, and she plans to forward a list of folks to Gold Passport once each week.

What if I transfer a ticket from someone else who purchased it, will I still get Hyatt Platinum?

Unfortunately, no. Platinum status is available to whomever first purchases the ticket. And since there's no need to wait to request the status, it can't be made available to anyone who has that ticket later. The process to track which ticket has claimed a status and which one hasn't would be cumbersome, and misunderstandings could easily ensue if someone thought they were obtaining a ticket that entitled them to status but that status had already been claimed. We're going to have to keep it simple, and limit the benefit only to those who first purchase the ticket directly.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Originally Posted by rehoult
A new development: Folks that purchase tickets for FTU in DC this December can receive Hyatt Platinum status on request.
FTUA attendees included?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:23 am

FTUA attendees included?
Yes.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by rehoult

How long will status be valid?

Hyatt Platinum status through this offer will be valid through 2/2016

How long will it take for my account to update to Platinum?

Expect 4-6 weeks.

Do I have to wait for the event to get my Platinum status?

Nope. Once you've purchased tickets you can request Platinum status -- that way, if you buy your tickets early enough, you can even benefit from the status while staying at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City for the event.

How do I request Platinum status?

Send your request for Platinum status, along with your full name and Gold Passport number, to [email protected]

She will verify that you have registered and paid for FTU, and she plans to forward a list of folks to Gold Passport once each week.

What if I transfer a ticket from someone else who purchased it, will I still get Hyatt Platinum?

Unfortunately, no. Platinum status is available to whomever first purchases the ticket. And since there's no need to wait to request the status, it can't be made available to anyone who has that ticket later. The process to track which ticket has claimed a status and which one hasn't would be cumbersome, and misunderstandings could easily ensue if someone thought they were obtaining a ticket that entitled them to status but that status had already been claimed. We're going to have to keep it simple, and limit the benefit only to those who first purchase the ticket directly.
Hyatt Platinum for $149...now THAT is tempting!

Hm. I still don't think I do enough Hyatt nights a year to make it worth it.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Interesting that the AMS FTU is $199 vs. the DC $149 - and no Hyatt status either...

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Hyatt Platinum for $149...now THAT is tempting!

Hm. I still don't think I do enough Hyatt nights a year to make it worth it.
Getting the credit card is cheaper ($0 first year and $75 afterwards) and includes two free nights after $1k spend.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have 1 Advance Ticker For Sale, they are sold out.

Will pay transfer fee.

PM me if interested. Hotel room are still available $99.00,

Last edited by satman40; Oct 7, 2014 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:24 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Getting the credit card is cheaper ($0 first year and $75 afterwards) and includes two free nights after $1k spend.
I must have misse that in one of the card pimping blog posts I skipped.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Of course, one could buy the FTU admission, get the status, then resell the ticket without the status.

Interesting way to create a secondary market.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Interesting that the AMS FTU is $199 vs. the DC $149 - and no Hyatt status either...

Cheers.
I thought that too but FTU Amsterdam is capped at 120 people maximum; so it will be roughly the same size as FTU Advanced. FTU in DC two years ago had roughly 600 people so that's a LOT of people!

Given the speakers will definitely be gurus, I can probably treat FTU Amsterdam to be similar to FTU Advanced if I ask the gurus enough advanced questions during their sessions.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
I thought that too but FTU Amsterdam is capped at 120 people maximum; so it will be roughly the same size as FTU Advanced. FTU in DC two years ago had roughly 600 people so that's a LOT of people!

Given the speakers will definitely be gurus, I can probably treat FTU Amsterdam to be similar to FTU Advanced if I ask the gurus enough advanced questions during their sessions.
Actually, I can happily add that attendees FTU | Amsterdam will also get Platinum status. Hyatt has graciously allowed us to give away a limited number of statuses, and we were just able to fit that event into our limit.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:15 am

Will there be any discussion on travel hacking from EU, beyond just award tickets?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by gnutello
Will there be any discussion on travel hacking from EU, beyond just award tickets?
There will be some, but it will be limited.

It's a very difficult topic to work with, especially for a small crowd, as the variance of attendee experience is vast. For a beginner, teaching them to connect in LHR vs starting there to reduce the fees would be hacking, to others it's a given. At the other end, some consider anything less than a C1-C7/C6-C2 routing with a 1x, 3x and a reach-around to be not worth their time, while most attendees would just stare blankly at that description and slowly tilt their head like a confused dog.

To be completely honest, discussions of truly complex hacking generally happen in the bar after the sessions, when all the experts (both speakers and attendees) are sharing stories. Part of the fun of FTU is having so many people who love the game in one place.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
As it is held in Amsterdam and for mostly a Dutch audience. I implore all topics to be discussed or if not, mention it briefly and that after the presentation people may ask questions about it. I'm Dutch and to get the feeling i got my money's worth is already half the succes of this FTU.

I saw the list of Dutch/English speakers, interesting line-up but no female speakers at all?

And Ben is taken off the list? Shucks wanted to see the (in)famous legend at work!

Last edited by HadesNL; Oct 3, 2014 at 12:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.