FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   BAcon 2014 [split off from 'BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content' thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1615288-bacon-2014-split-off-ba-bloggers-starting-run-out-content-thread.html)

cruisr Sep 22, 2014 12:26 pm

BAcon 2014 [split off from 'BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content' thread]

Well I think their content in the next few days will be about how great everybody at BA is and how they learned so much at BAcon from the "Titans" and MMS. Travel Blogger Buzz had a great post on the BAcon today. Go George!

sbm12 Sep 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 23564678)
Travel Blogger Buzz had a great post on the BAcon today. Go George!

:rolleyes:

If someone is going to comment on the content of the event it seems to me they probably should have been there. Basing an analysis off what was shared on some tweets is an interesting way to claim that one knows what actually happened. If he doesn't like some of the blogs that is fine. Calling others a bunch of names because they disagree with him is childish and not particularly useful to anyone.

I was there. Some of the sessions were useful to me. Others bloggers found different sessions useful. I learned from some of the newer bloggers and I hope that maybe some learned from me as well. Just like any other gathering where people get together and talk about their common interests.

kokonutz Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 23565814)

If someone is going to comment on the content of the event it seems to me they probably should have been there. Basing an analysis off what was shared on some tweets is an interesting way to claim that one knows what actually happened. If he doesn't like some of the blogs that is fine. Calling others a bunch of names because they disagree with him is childish and not particularly useful to anyone.

I was there. Some of the sessions were useful to me. Others bloggers found different sessions useful. I learned from some of the newer bloggers and I hope that maybe some learned from me as well. Just like any other gathering where people get together and talk about their common interests.

Perez Hilton is the granddaddy of bloggers. And he made his bones writing and drawing penises on celebrities faces, not reporting facts.

TBB is freaking hilarious. Lay back and enjoy it! :)

techgirl Sep 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 23565888)
Lay back and enjoy it! :)

Clayton Williams, is that you?

1848 Sep 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Lay back and enjoy it! :)

Does not compute. Impossible. Too busy learning from the BA Titans about new and interesting techniques for squeezing 35 affiliate links into a 3 paragraph article about Etihad's soda choices in first class.

techgirl Sep 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by 1848 (Post 23566319)
Does not compute. Impossible. Too busy learning from the BA Titans about new and interesting techniques for squeezing 35 affiliate links into a 3 paragraph article about Etihad's soda choices in first class.

If there were sessions on that, they were held outside the 18 hours we spent in a conference room learning more important things. ;)

gpapadop Sep 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Are you serious? Oh yes you are :rolleyes:

You are totally missing the point of my blog! I mean, totally!

I appreciate yours and I do read you.

TBB
Titan Blogger Buzz

ingy Sep 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Another Retreat

Originally Posted by gpapadop (Post 23566513)
Are you serious? Oh yes you are :rolleyes:

You are totally missing the point of my blog! I mean, totally!

I appreciate yours and I do read you.

TBB
Titan Blogger Buzz

One more time the Buzz gets called out and he retreats to "well its just for entertainment" "You miss the whole point of my blog". "Let me slam away at others and when I get called out I have a standard response to say it is "all in fun"

Its getting old and the suit shows signs of folding

84fiero Sep 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Perez Hilton is the granddaddy of bloggers. And he made his bones writing and drawing penises on celebrities faces, not reporting facts.

TBB is freaking hilarious. Lay back and enjoy it! :)

^
I can't say what George intended, but I didn't take the TBB post as claiming to have been there... he was taking tweeted photos and text from the attendees (some of which were humorous to begin with - e.g., Drew as Mommy Points!) and making satirical remarks about them. Sort of like the P&M version of Tosh.0 only without the vomit scenes.

farbster Sep 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Seth,

What did you learn there? I am totally unaware of what the presentations were...I find your blog more about analysis than credit card pimping or manufactured spending.

Keep up the good work!

gpapadop Sep 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by farbster (Post 23566977)
What did you learn there?

Travel-Summary has a post of what he learned there. BA does a good job of gathering the troops and all in all they all found it valuable. I wish I can find out what they learned about Google Analytics, SEO, writing and the amazing Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite MasterCard® :D

There is a reason once bloggers go to BA they don't leave. They are being taken care of very well. Wish them well to do better on the ad revenues, it is sure tough out there!

sbm12 Sep 22, 2014 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by farbster (Post 23566977)
Seth,

What did you learn there? I am totally unaware of what the presentations were...

The agenda is actually online for the world to see. It is not a secret.

The obsession with CCs is only on the part of George. That session was one of the eighteen hours of programming. And the one thing which was repeated over and over again is that until you sign up and have a private conversation with them about what the expectations are you won't know what the expectations are. It was quite clear (at least to me) that there are rules about what can be posted and how certain things can be phrased. That's why I don't do it. I won't let advertisers dictate rules about my content. Others clearly feel differently on that and it is OK that they do so, at least to me. Most of them even admit that those rules exist.

The session where VFTW, OMAAT and MMS spoke about their approach to putting their blogs together; that was another hour of the 18-20 (a couple days ran quite long). So we're talking maybe 10% of the total time in official sessions are the things fixated on by someone who wasn't there and has no idea what actually happened or what was said in the room.

For me the most educational session was the one on Google Analytics. I learned a lot there. Many others enjoyed the Saturday afternoon session about writing style and finding your voice. That one didn't to a ton for me.

TBB is freaking hilarious.

Clearly we have different views of what is funny. I generally find someone making crap up about others in an effort to discredit them to be quite the opposite of funny.

gpapadop Sep 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 23567233)
Clearly we have different views of what is funny. I generally find someone making crap up about others in an effort to discredit them to be quite the opposite of funny.

Clearly we have different views of what is funny! I am not going to get into your "making crap up" argument as I find it silly.

sbm12 Sep 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop (Post 23567277)
I am not going to get into your "making crap up" argument as I find it silly.

Once again hiding behind "it is just entertainment" when called out on having no idea what you're talking about but insulting others with that info anyways. Keep up the good work.

Of all the people who have seen their content tone and style change in the past year yours is the most obvious and to the negative. A shame, really. There used to be a shred of integrity.

RTW1 Sep 23, 2014 1:22 am

Could you two maybe give it a rest for a while.... this disagreeing with each other which seems to claim 90% of this thread is starting to get awfully tiresome. Get a room....