FTU Advanced Inflation for FTUA3

Old Sep 16, 14, 8:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
FTU Advanced Inflation for FTUA3

Give the FTU boys credit: by creating an 'advanced' event with limited supply they have increased demand, selling out the limited supply in a matter of hours.

And are now, naturally, increasing the price from $199 to $249.

http://ftuniversity.wpengine.com/eve...ced-san-diego/

One wonders what the 'real' aftermarket price for these tickets would be if the sponsors didn't artificially limit that market through their mandatory registration transfer process. Eliminating that process might help them find the free market price point they should be charging.

Oh and this 20 year-old photo of Randy on the site made me chuckle:

Old Sep 16, 14, 10:28 am

I suggested to Randy that he put something like this on (not that I'm taking credit, just saying people are interested). I went to FTU in Virginia and it was too basic for me. I can forgive the cc shilling, but some people had never heard of Amazon Payments.

I was more interested in learning in more depth about award bookings...

God bless them if they can make a buck. I enjoyed going to FTU Virginia, but I also had the ability to drive...

Last edited by farbster; Sep 16, 14 at 10:29 am Reason: add clarification
Old Sep 16, 14, 11:25 am
Suspended

I drove to the FTU in Tampa....

It was fun to know so many others would interested in the same topic as I, but I ended up leaving a day early. The info was just too damn basic.
Old Sep 16, 14, 12:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
One wonders what the 'real' aftermarket price for these tickets would be if the sponsors didn't artificially limit that market through their mandatory registration transfer process. Eliminating that process might help them find the free market price point they should be charging.
If cash transactions were not prohibited on CC we could find out here on FT. But it seems to me that the fee should be comparable to the associated expenses for non-local attendees: roughly $400 for the hotel and either $100 for parking or about $500 for travel. Would I pay $1000 for AFTU? Nope. Would 100 people pay that? I think so.

I suggested on VFTW that the organizers attempt to cut the expensive hotel out of the equation next time. Go cheap all the way and charge more for the event itself. Everybody wins except the local attendees, who were getting too good a deal before.
Old Sep 16, 14, 12:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
looks like it already sold out? if so wow... at $250

impressive i suppose, though.

interesting formula - create FTU for $100. get people to go, but water down the content so basic that people get frustrated that it feels like a big marketing event.... then up the price to $250 for the version that people wanted the first time
Old Sep 16, 14, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
If cash transactions were not prohibited on CC we could find out here on FT. But it seems to me that the fee should be comparable to the associated expenses for non-local attendees: roughly $400 for the hotel and either $100 for parking or about $500 for travel. Would I pay $1000 for AFTU? Nope. Would 100 people pay that? I think so.

I suggested on VFTW that the organizers attempt to cut the expensive hotel out of the equation next time. Go cheap all the way and charge more for the event itself. Everybody wins except the local attendees, who were getting too good a deal before.

I think the aFTU hotel rate was closer to $119 for Chicago. I have a rate even lower than that for this month's event based on BRG. The hotel rates are always dependent on the location, class of hotel and negotiations. I am sure the organizers work hard to get the best rate possible. Having booked conferences with >100 room nights, there are a lot of variable that go into the process. Further, there is no requirement that attendees stay at the host hotel. I have met people who hotel hop, book rewards, C+P...

I have attended 2 in the past, one where I stayed at the hotel and the rate in VA was affordable.

Also, as frequent flyers, I am sure you can find ways to economize. many people have done so, including sharing rooms, using hotel/airport shuttle, carpooling to minimize expenses. Isn't that part of the whole thing about FTU, learning how to travel smarter?
Old Sep 16, 14, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife

I made a comment there that the price was too LOW, linking to my post above.

Apparently it did not survive moderation...guess I need to go change the wiki in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...-comments.html (and yes, this post is designed, in part, to shame Gary into un-moderating my post ). ETA: YAY! He unmoderated it 5 or 10 minutes after I posted this. My comment is now directly above yours.

Thanks, Gary!!!

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 16, 14 at 1:05 pm
Old Sep 16, 14, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Hm. Apparently Tommy held back some tickets for bloggers to sell (not give away, sell) to their readers:

http://hackmytrip.com/2014/09/ftu-ad...ack+My+Trip%29

Enter now for the chance to pay $250 to go to FTUA3!
Old Sep 16, 14, 3:36 pm

The ticket sale was open at 5 AM PT. All sold out at 8 AM
I think all bloggers and their buddies have advance information about this. I am wondering how to get a ticket Any one sells tickets in the black market?.
Old Sep 16, 14, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sam2014 View Post
I think all bloggers and their buddies have advance information about this. I am wondering how to get a ticket Any one sells tickets in the black market?.
Black market? For FTU tickets? Now I've heard it all!
Old Sep 16, 14, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam2014 View Post
It's a bit like a LH F award: impossible to find until a week or so out.

Plenty of tickets available today for the Chicago FTUA in 10 days: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...kets-sale.html

And, Gary, please don't call me a troll in your comments. It hurts my feelings very deeply. Besides, I did say 'thanks' for unmoderating my post!!! (this is kinds fun....you send me messages in your comments, I send you messages here...it's just like the Sandra- Keanu movie The Lake House!)
Old Sep 16, 14, 8:41 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
..it's just like the Sandra- Keanu movie The Lake House!)
Or like... You've Got Mail!

Which one of you is Meg Ryan and which one is Tom Hanks?

Old Sep 16, 14, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Or like... You've Got Mail!

Which one of you is Meg Ryan and which one is Tom Hanks?

You tell me:

I'm making him Meg and me Tom...
Old Sep 16, 14, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Every one if these show sells out, and in the last week mire tickets are ?For Sale,

See it happen at every show..

Went to Seattle last year instead of a Chicago,

Randy put in a nice show...and the hotel, was much better than The Holiday Inn,

No complaints on either show..,always pick up, something new..,
Old Sep 16, 14, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
As the guy who negotiated this round of FTU/FTUA (more to be announced soon), I can speak to that.

As vacation time/money are limited, we thought if someone is already paying to fly to SAN in March we should choose a nice property that could be used as a base for a vacation. That way they could extend their stay either before or after the event and enjoy the break from winter. As of now, there are already more Wed/Thurs/Sun/Mon bookings than we've ever had before, so it appears some people shared our thought.

OTOH, the next events will have hotel rates in line with past events (~$99 / nt) and be very close to the airports. Different options for different people.

I won't be in SAN, as I'll be enjoying an Aeroplan F RTW trip with my wife, but hope to see some of you at the other events.

Search this Thread