Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Are seminars and FTU for noobs? ... and are bloggers really hated?

Old Aug 29, 14, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat

Are the Chicago Seminars and FTU only for noobs, or do you experienced FTers grace us with your presence?

I ask because most experienced FTers "spit on" bloggers, but I see a lot of bloggers that give seminars. Are they spat on as they walk in or are the internet trolls just the loud minority who have no cojones in real life?
Old Aug 29, 14, 3:19 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy View Post
most experienced FTers "spit on" bloggers
That's simply not true. Many have no opinion. Many of us first came to FT via a blog post. Nearly all of us will cheerfully admit to having learnt things from blogs.

are the internet trolls just the loud minority who have no cojones in real life?
Which trolls do you mean? The question doesn't seem specific to FT or miles/points blogs.
Old Aug 29, 14, 4:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Seminars are not JUST for noobs. But noobs will get the most value as the presenters are not telling attendees anything they couldn't learn by reading Flyertalk for a few weeks.

Lots of vets go again and again for the socializing. Of course that can be done more efficiently and effectively at local DOs but some like to rub elbows with the bloggers.

And as for the bloggers, they are not hated that I have seen. They are generally helpful people who, for better AND worse, have decided to try to monetize their points and miles knowledge and experience. As 'professionals' they do open themselves to criticism, particularly when they behave like those credit card hawkers in airports who holler at you about getting a t-shirt and a free flight for signing up for a credit card with them. But money makes people do all sorts of things they wouldn't otherwise. <shrug>

IMHO and ymmv.
Old Aug 29, 14, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Bloggers are not hated, I direct some of my CC apps at some that I have meet personaly at the FTU.

I am an old timer and see many experienced guy at the FTU,

I also see a lot of guys who will not do it, but likes to talk..

Never meet a poor guy yet that did not dislike a rich man, till he figured hour how the rich man could help him...

Bloggers are great, and FTUs help...any idiot can fail, thinking He is smart while being lost.
Old Aug 29, 14, 5:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Are the Chicago Seminars and FTU only for noobs, or do you experienced FTers grace us with your presence?

I ask because most experienced FTers "spit on" bloggers, but I see a lot of bloggers that give seminars. Are they spat on as they walk in or are the internet trolls just the loud minority who have no cojones in real life?
I've been to the Chicago Seminars before and got a lot out of it, and had a fun time! There are suddenly several formal seminars and conferences around, with differing target audiences. And even within the same conference there are sessions geared towards people from across the "experience spectrum".

I don't know why someone would pay good money to attend a conference to then heckle or spit upon the presenters. I certainly never saw anything like that in Chicago. In fact all of the presenters - who aren't all bloggers, btw - seemed to receive warm welcomes all around.

This forum discusses external resources including, but not limited to, P&M blogs. There is criticism and praise, and just benign discussion too. The blogs being reviewed here are pretty much all commercial businesses. As with car dealers, plumbers, dentists, newspapers, etc. there are good, bad, and in between. And people talk about their impressions and experiences with the same.

Are there a few "unfair critics" that comment? Sure, but I don't think those are prolific. And a couple of those are bloggers themselves. Such is life.

I read some blogs regularly and have used affiliate links from those I trust and like.

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Seminars are not JUST for noobs. But noobs will get the most value as the presenters are not telling attendees anything they couldn't learn by reading Flyertalk for a few weeks.

Lots of vets go again and again for the socializing. Of course that can be done more efficiently and effectively at local DOs but some like to rub elbows with the bloggers.

And as for the bloggers, they are not hated that I have seen. They are generally helpful people who, for better AND worse, have decided to try to monetize their points and miles knowledge and experience. As 'professionals' they do open themselves to criticism, particularly when they behave like those credit card hawkers in airports who holler at you about getting a t-shirt and a free flight for signing up for a credit card with them. But money makes people do all sorts of things they wouldn't otherwise. <shrug>

IMHO and ymmv.
Old Aug 29, 14, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Cliff in Chicago was great, and all he talked about was computers...

Rick was cool, Randy was a little laid back but he was in Seattle this year...

Lot of decent guys there, even in the audience.

Wish their were more short Asian, they are so durn cute,,
Old Aug 30, 14, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
If I spend the whole weekend at the Chicago seminars and get one good tip it's worth my time/money. No matter how experienced we are no one can know about everything.
Old Sep 1, 14, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Ok, I see I was making an unwarranted generalization about FTers. That's cool, I'm signed up for my first Chicago seminar and excited about what can learn and networking with the experts.

Search this Thread