Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by gpapadop
My goal in life is to keep from self-diluting
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:16 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm subbing for Oliver who is working in remote corners of the globe. I've just deleted a couple posts. Honestly, how many times is it informative to chew on the proper placement of an apostrophe? This forum isn't meant to be 10th grade with endless s......ing behind hands about another person. Let's try to talk about content.

Carol
Community Director
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:48 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm subbing for Oliver who is working in remote corners of the globe. I've just deleted a couple posts. Honestly, how many times is it informative to chew on the proper placement of an apostrophe? This forum isn't meant to be 10th grade with endless s......ing behind hands about another person. Let's try to talk about content.

Carol
Community Director
Many thanks Carol, i could not agree more. The original goal of FlyerTalk so many years ago was not this sort of constant haranguing and it is unfortunate that this particular forum has fostered its reputation for such.

SO, applause, applause for reminding our members that all words written is not content.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Many thanks Carol, i could not agree more. The original goal of FlyerTalk so many years ago was not this sort of constant haranguing and it is unfortunate that this particular forum has fostered its reputation for such.

SO, applause, applause for reminding our members that all words written is not content.
Randy-

What do you think about bloggers who knowingly post links to offers that pay the blogger instead of better offers that do not pay them? This is not just about Renne but overall.

I'm not just being annoying here.You just about started this whole industry and I am interested in where you draw the line.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Randy-

What do you think about bloggers who knowingly post links to offers that pay the blogger instead of better offers that do not pay them? This is not just about Renne but overall.

I'm not just being annoying here.You just about started this whole industry and I am interested in where you draw the line.
I love Randy, but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. @:-)

As for his assertion, I humbly disagree. Having been here from the very start FlyerTalk has always been about haranguing and b!tching about miles and points providers and services. In fact, my very first post on FlyerTalk in May 1998 was haranguing UA for setting the Premier qualification too low and b!tching that UA had left a Tom Petty special on their IFE for 3 months in a row.

Last edited by kokonutz; Jul 27, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Carol
Community Director
Thanks so much Carol for your wisdom but I think the above is the entire reason for the BBB. That and to cause MODs sleepless nights!

Thanks Randy. I agree with everything you said. I fear no one here will listen.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz

As for his assertion, I humbly disagree. Having been here from the very start FlyerTalk has always been about haranguing and b!tching about miles and points providers and services. In fact, my very first post on FlyerTalk in May 1998 was haranguing UA for setting the Premier qualification too low and b!tching that UA had left a Tom Petty special on their IFE for 3 months in a row.
So just like Adam and Eve in the Garden, shortly after a serpent appeared. Of course, being the nosy little child I was, I always wondered in such a world of perfection that a serpent could have appeared.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Seriously. If they cut out all the complaining what would be left of FT?

Of course, it's different when people are complaining about a person that runs a blog instead of a company that runs an airline. I don't see it that way as both are businesses, but some do.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P

Were the "content" providers on the blogs being discussed providing useful content and being transparent, there probably would not be complaints in a forum dedicated to discussing them; but, alas, that is not the case.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
When you have a link titled XYZ you should expect the customers of this business, when they click on it, to see the info on XYZ and not ALL the merchandise the business sells. Remember when this blog lost its Amex links and then had the audacity to title links as Amex credit cards that led to anything BUT Amex credit cards? Actually, all Amex credit cards had mysteriously vanished like they did not exist!

When a business sells a specific credit card product by linking to it, it is ethical to inform/educate the customers of that business that perhaps there is another way to get the SAME product that offers MORE benefits. Of course linking to that product may be asking too much to subject the customers of this business because it "is not run as a charity" --->Wow!

It would be nice if the platform offered to these businesses took a STAND and instituted some standard practices serving the customers FIRST instead of allowing blogs using the platform to take advantage of their customers. Maybe start with "You are not allowed to alter voting ballots by erasing certain blogs from it so they do not get votes", anyone remember this?

You all have a nice day. Don't be angry. Make the world a better place.

Can't wait for the next review of another Turkey Club sandwich aboard Delta! :-)

Time to refill my coffee cup at Panera now. Freeeeeeeeee!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

There's an irony there from the Emperor of advertising masquerading as content.

I personally find most discussions here more interesting than what has come to dominate FT:
"I read on (name of boardING area blog) that I can fly for free. I am new! Please tell me how to get 6 business class tickets on the same flight nonstop from Chicago to Rome next summer. I am inflexible on dates."

"Help! I booked two separate tickets with a 16 minute connection in Paris and now I think I might not make it."

Or

"American Airlines is the worst. They charged me $50 for my 90 pound bag!"

The blogging business has used marketing to sell credit cards, making people think they'll all be flying Emirates First and taking extravagant vacations without spending a dime. Then, those people come to flyertalk when they realize bloggers aren't going to help them make those dreams a reality when there's no money in it for them.

The original goal of FlyerTalk wasn't to serve as the landing point for customers taken advantage of by bloggers and credit card marketers either. Things change.

Randy, until you adopt a realistic code of ethics for your bloggers (or heck, even the standards required by the FTC), your comments here are worthless protests of someone whose business model is being critiqued.

(And though you may disagree with it, this post is a lot more content than yours was (or most of Renes in this thread).)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:11 am
Suspended

Can't wait for the next review of another Turkey Club sandwich aboard Delta! :-)
Thanks for being a loyal reader each day TBB. ^

PS - More Delta food posts on the way! :-:
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
For the record, I clicked once in this blog in more than a year and I am still traumatized from that turkey club sandwich review.

I may give it one more click in late 2017 if it still around...by that time, the trauma may be diluted
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Randy, until you adopt a realistic code of ethics for your bloggers (or heck, even the standards required by the FTC), your comments here are worthless protests of someone whose business model is being critiqued.

But how cool would it be if Oscar Munoz or Doug Parker swung by the UA or AA forum to b!tch about this sort of constant haranguing about their business and employees and how it is unfortunate that those particular forums have fostered their reputation for such. ^

I'm flying DL on Monday. Hope I get a turkey sandwich!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

For the record, I clicked once in this blog in more than a year and I am still traumatized from that turkey club sandwich review.

I may give it one more click in late 2017 if it still around...by that time, the trauma may be diluted
You realize in this very thread you have proven that not to be true!

Happy to be one of the blogs you love

#BestOfferPatrol rocks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.