Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I'm surprised that 'blog' is still around? I would have thought people would be over the bizarre headlines, out of breath ramblings and confusion?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Smile

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'm surprised that 'blog' is still around? I would have thought people would be over the bizarre headlines, out of breath ramblings and confusion?
Bigger than ever. Thanks for being a loyal reader and your goto source for Delta info
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Bigger than ever. Thanks for being a loyal reader and your goto source for Delta info
It's about Delta!?

I don't get that from the title of the blog...
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz
It's about Delta!?

I don't get that from the title of the blog...
I don't get this is the "BBB" blog bashing board on FT but a quick read explains it
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I disagree Adam. The point that was made in the original thread was that a few bad posts were indicative of the overall quality of BoardingArea blogs. While obviously that's in the eye of the beholder, Rene was simply showing that, like most BA blogs, traffic has increased year-over-year for his blog.

As I've said before, there's no reason to believe year over year traffic is an indicator of quality. It doesn't even indicate that people like a blog post. It doesn't matter if a store that has a year over year increase in people walking in the door if they walk in the store and leave as soon as they enter, don't buy anything, and don't return.

What's telling is that Google Analytics does have more useful statistics, but that's not what was trumpeted.

Finally, that someone might like a blog, or even that a lot of people do, isn't a retort to specific criticism, and it certainly isn't a sign of quality. People magazine has more readers than the New Yorker. Does that mean that the writing in People is of higher quality? Of course not. It doesn't mean it's worse, but the readership figure doesn't tell us anything about quality. I think the blogs that have the most readers tend to have the most elementary information that is found on Google and/or other blogs and/or emails from loyalty programs.

Basically, if your response is "There cannot be anything negatively said about my blog because 40% people looked at it than last year," you're just not interested in engaging with the critique. The same goes for this new term "blog bashing board"- it's an excuse to not engage. This forum is no more a blog bashing board than the Hilton forum is a Hilton bashing board or the Delta forum is a Delta bashing board. People post about things they find troubling, wrong, irksome, dishonest, or misleading. When things are going smoothly, there's not much to post. What do you expect this thread to be? People posting "I'm so glad he posted about that promotion today?"
That's not a discussion.

Blogging is a business, even if it isn't generating income. Just like a restaurantowner responding to a Yelp comment, you have three options that don't make you look like a tool: (1) say nothing, (2) graciously give lip service appreciating the feedback but not changing at all, and (3) listening to feedback and taking it to heart. The choice of attacking the customer doesn't make anyone look good.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Just like a restaurantowner
A restaurant that is not frequented will be closed.

November will mark 5 years as a full time blogger and doing very well! ^@:-)

As a total side note: I also start and support FT with many new threads as that is what drives pageview income for IB and I want IB to do well!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:26 pm

A restaurant that is not frequented will be closed.

November will mark 5 years as a full time blogger and doing very well! ^@:-)

As a total side note: I also start and support FT with many new threads as that is what drives pageview income for IB and I want IB to do well!
Good for you.

Unfortunately when the CFPB and or FTC cracks down on credit card scams, full time "blogging" may be less lucrative.

And McDonald's has sold a lot of hamburgers, that doesn't make its food high quality or good for its customers, or free from criticism.

You're also selling someone else's product, which speaks to the popularity of the product, not to your blog posts. Fantastic content does not make a reader more likely to click on your Delta Sky miles Amex link.

I'm sorry this isn't a OMGBAA* forum.

*Oh my god, bloggers are amazing.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 13, 2016 at 4:50 am
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:10 pm

I'm just curious... Rene did you actually write these two paragraphs below on your about me page? I found it quite difficult to read.

Press information:

René has flown millions of miles with Delta, Northwest and other airlines and has been an elite Delta Medallion flyer for years. RenesPoints.com often writes about Delta Air Lines and how, as a frequent, or not so frequent flyer, to maximize points, upgrades and benefits and to actually enjoy the travel experience. If you need an expert on the in’s & out’s and working’s of Delta, you have found the right editorial source.

René has been featured and quoted & linked to in the major media as well as countless travel blogs and travel websites. Having earned & burned millions of frequent flyer points on airlines, hotels and cars, he helps travelers get the most for their points, especially the VERY hard to redeem Delta Air Lines points. Have a story about mileage runs? In 2013 René flew to Istanbul for 1.5 hours and flew home and started 2014 by collecting over 50,000 points on a 10 leg run to Hawaii!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:21 pm

I don't get this is the "BBB" blog bashing board on FT but a quick read explains it
Your sentence is missing a 'that' between 'get' and 'this.' @:-)
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'm just curious... Rene did you actually write these two paragraphs below on your about me page? I found it quite difficult to read.

Press information:

René has flown millions of miles with Delta, Northwest and other airlines and has been an elite Delta Medallion flyer for years. RenesPoints.com often writes about Delta Air Lines and how, as a frequent, or not so frequent flyer, to maximize points, upgrades and benefits and to actually enjoy the travel experience. If you need an expert on the in’s & out’s and working’s of Delta, you have found the right editorial source.

René has been featured and quoted & linked to in the major media as well as countless travel blogs and travel websites. Having earned & burned millions of frequent flyer points on airlines, hotels and cars, he helps travelers get the most for their points, especially the VERY hard to redeem Delta Air Lines points. Have a story about mileage runs? In 2013 René flew to Istanbul for 1.5 hours and flew home and started 2014 by collecting over 50,000 points on a 10 leg run to Hawaii!
To prevent copyright issues here is link

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/aboutme/
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Every time you click on this blog it earns money and increases his stats so he comes back here and...

Come on!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:01 pm

To prevent copyright issues here is link

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/aboutme/

What sorts of copyright issues would those be?

Trick question! There are none as criticism is one of the categories of use that falls under the fair use exception in the Copyright Act.

A full-time blogger should know that.

So either you don't know the basics of how copyright works, or you are trying to artificially inflate your page views, so you can brag about them here and perhaps mislead your employers...I mean sponsors.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
What sorts of copyright issues would those be?

Trick question! There are none as criticism is one of the categories of use that falls under the fair use exception in the Copyright Act.

A full-time blogger should know that.

So either you don't know the basics of how copyright works, or you are trying to artificially inflate your page views, so you can brag about them here and perhaps mislead your employers...I mean sponsors.
ROFLMAO, bloggers suddenly concerned with copyright issues!!!!!

Miles and points bloggers who constantly steal content from FlyerTalk and each other, suddenly concerned with copyright issues.

Irony, hubris or both?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Today, from the ornate sage himself, one of the Renes at Renes Points reaffirmed the prowess or Boarding Area's tagline with this Article: "Delta Air Lines First Class Turkey Sandwich Review RenesPoints Blog"

Boarding Area: Required Reading for Frequent Fliers

Last edited by RFDMinnesota; Jul 14, 2016 at 6:29 pm Reason: Spelling...
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Today, from the ornate sage himself, one of the Renes at Renes Points reaffirmed the prowess or Boarding Area's tagline with this Article: "Delta Air Lines First Class Turkey Sandwich Review RenesPoints Blog"

Boarding Area: Required Reading for Frequent Fliers
Thanks for HT. Here is the link: http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...espoints-blog/

Oh you missed the two other meal reviews this week:

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...espoints-blog/

and

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...espoints-blog/

One more on the way tomorrow for loyal readers like yourself! ^:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.