Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Has any P&M blogger laid it all on the table?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has any P&M blogger laid it all on the table?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Deleted.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ben talked about doing status mileage runs as a kid to reach 1K after starting with family trips to europe (in other words - family trips then mileage runs)
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Try $200 - $250k.

About 18 - 24 months ago, one points blogger wrote how much quarterly income tax he paid using his credit card. I thought he was an idiot for writing that. Based on that number, a conservative estimate of $250,000 annually was estimated. Now I'm no accountant, but I was pointed in the right direction.

Let's face it. Not everyone can quit their job and become a blogger.
Wow, no wonder people want to be a blogger to be rich and famous, like a Internet celebrity

Now it all makes sense. They do have the $$$ to do all of these things/activities, especially as ONE PERSON with all the time in the world (vs. us having families to buy tickets or difficulty finding 4 award seats), ha ha
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The 'internet celebrity' thing is odd.

I went to an Amex event recently, one which I had NOT publicised on my site.

3 different people came up to introduce themselves to me. This is despite the fact that my photo is never on the site and is only on Google Plus and LinkekdIn (and did not appear in search results either since Christmas).

The guy sitting behind me on an flight from Dubai at Easter also introduced himself to me.

Gary and Brian, both people who are easier to recognise than me, must get spotted every time they travel.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The real mystery to me is still how bloggers like Ben or Gary, who, unlike milesmuncher, appear to do little revenue travel (at least that they write about) achieve elite status.

Gary might have lifetime elite...but that would be on UA which he no longer flies...and airlines tend to only match a status once. No way Ben has lifetime on anything yet...?
kokonutz, Ben posted this on his blog earlier this year on how he plans to achieve elite status.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tus-this-year/

I think he also did multiple back to back trips to South America to earn his AS status.

As for his multiple LH F tickets, I believe they are redemptions either with Lifemiles or Aeroplan Miles. I know Ben prefers mileage currencies that have multiple partners (Chase Ultimate Rewards, Starpoints, Membership Rewards) to hedge against devaluation. The ironic thing is that both Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards can be earned quite quickly if you are savvy enough with maximizing their earning potential through the category bonuses, which Ben has openly written about many times.

Last edited by kluau88; Jul 12, 2014 at 10:28 am
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kluau88
kokonutz, Ben posted this on his blog earlier this year on how he plans to achieve elite status.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tus-this-year/

I think he also did multiple back to back trips to South America to earn his AS status.

As for his multiple LH F tickets, I believe they are redemptions either with Lifemiles or Aeroplan Miles. I know Ben prefers mileage currencies that have multiple partners (Chase Ultimate Rewards, Starpoints, Membership Rewards) to hedge against devaluation. The ironic thing is that both Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards can be earned quite quickly if you are savvy enough with maximizing their earning potential through the category bonuses, which Ben has openly written about many times.
Ahhhh. Thanks. Simple answer: mileage runs. @:-)
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Ahhhh. Thanks. Simple answer: mileage runs. @:-)
this wasnt obvious?

from link >
90,000 EQPs for $3,200
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
this wasnt obvious?

from link >
If/when AA goes to revenue based elite qualification, Ben is going to have a lot of trouble getting status. Maybe he should start a kickstarter to get him the $10k spend needed.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
trouble getting status
true for a huge number on flyertalk

DL/UA offers wiaver via CC, although UA does not waive $10K for 1K
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Try $200 - $250k.
Pffft...

For the ones who kept their Amex links this is a layup.

Even for some who didn't and go to bed wondering if Chase will keep feeding them

I wrote an extensive post about this but I feel dirty promoting the direct link here.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Pffft...

For the ones who kept their Amex links this is a layup.

Even for some who didn't and go to bed wondering if Chase will keep feeding them

I wrote an extensive post about this but I feel dirty promoting the direct link here.
I'd like to read it. Please promote your direct link!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I'd like to read it. Please promote your direct link!
Can't anymore per new FT rules unless he writes it up again in the post with the link.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Can't anymore per new FT rules unless he writes it up again in the post with the link.
Lol yeah right I am going to write it up again!

Google "pumpization travel blogger buzz" and click on 2nd hit.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Fascinating. And depressing.

I was in Vegas with another FlyerTalker this weekend and we were debating whether bloggers were truly making well into the six figures. I thought so. He thought the numbers were exaggerated.

I think I win! (Well, i KNOW I won because I bet on NED and hit a royal flush bonus playing pai gow poker ^).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:31 am

Turns out I already read that - I linked to you last night. I believe the hyperlink text was specifically on stashing the CSP card in your underwear. (#nocontext)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.