Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Are bloggers forbidden from talking about Airbnb?

Old Jul 8, 14, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum

Too many major blogs are ignoring Airbnb and I have to ask why is that?

I do see it mentioned on some of the smaller blogs that are not credit card affiliates. This is one reason to visit the smaller sites.

Of course, there’s no fitness center or 24 hour room service. And the shampoo may not be a premium brand, but why not buy your own with the savings?

- Zero mentions on Million Mile Secrets or Mommy Points. This is surprising, as these sites do try to at least maximize their budget.

- OMAAT completely ignores the site, even when asked in the comments.

- VFTW mentioned it, but compared it to “renting someone’s couch”.

This seemed like a smear tactic, as you can rent upscale villas or entire million dollar homes, sometimes at a similar cost to a Sheraton or Hilton.

- Some credit to Points Guy who has used it and posted about it.

If Airbnb were to offer Uber-like referral credits, would we start seeing promotion of their amazing stays at Airbnb properties?
Old Jul 8, 14, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by stackm View Post

If Airbnb were to offer Uber-like referral credits, would we start seeing promotion of their amazing stays at Airbnb properties?
Probably

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 14, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
TPG posts a lot about it. I think as his business has grown he's had the cash to dish out for Airbnb and VRBO properties more.
Old Jul 8, 14, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I feel like they DO have an affiliate program although maybe I imagined seeing it. I only participate in programs that I use myself and I don't personally use Airbnb (although the concept fascinates me). Airbnb has a good marketing plan it seems - they shelled out for a nice dedicated space during SXSW this year so they seem to be targeting a specific young hip audience. (I am neither young nor hip but certainly willing to give it a go if it ever makes sense with my travel plans. But I can't recommend something I haven't tried either.)
Old Jul 8, 14, 12:22 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
It's like asking why none of the bloggers talk about any property other than the Grand Hyatt in the Maldives: no points to be gained nor used using AirBnB.

Same reason OMAAT ran his kickstarter: someone wanted him to pay cash for a product (Residences) by charging basically infinity points for it, so he didn't know what to do!

AirBnB certainly can be cheaper than paying cash for a hotel...but most P&M bloggers are staying for 'free' on points they have earned through credit cards and manufactured spend.

IMHO they are missing out.

I used it in Paris and it was fantastic. Using it again in Rome in a few weeks. For me it has NOT been like renting someone's sofa. It is like renting a luxury flat in the heart of the city for less than the cash cost of a four star hotel room. Because that's what it is.

But that's not how most P&M bloggers roll...
Old Jul 8, 14, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
no money in it for them. they cant push a CC or a referral link that gets them cash back. some of the smaller bloggers have done a great job of writing about it. Romsdeals for one comes to mind.

Also, it seems as a lot of the big name bloggers have skewed really high end. For them airBnB is the equal to a hostel... VFTW turns his nose down on international business class (unless east coast to europe); Mommypoints now visitis such budget/family friendly hotspots such as the maldives...
Old Jul 8, 14, 2:22 pm

I've written about it a few times; basically each time I've used it (or tried to). I like it in certain locations and found it maddeningly frustrating in others. I know that Wanderlusty stays in AirBnB properties often but I don't know how often he posts about it.

Such is life.
Old Jul 8, 14, 4:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I have seen it on occasion with some bloggers, sbm12's being one of them. But it doesn't get much press. I suppose with some M&P bloggers it's because of a lack of any money in it for them, perhaps with others they just don't like it or haven't had a good opportunity to try it.

I do see it mentioned more often in blogs with more of a focus on actual travel, as opposed miles & points earning/burning/CC affiliate linkes.

Personally I've never tried Airbnb yet..not sure if I ever will, but wouldn't rule it out.
Old Jul 8, 14, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I do see it mentioned more often in blogs with more of a focus on actual travel, as opposed miles & points earning/burning/

This is something which far too few people recognize. Nearly all of the blogs talked about in this forum are NOT travel blogs. They are somewhere between miles & points and financial services. And that gets a whole different style of content. It is less about making money from the links in the post and more about what the readers are expecting.
Old Jul 8, 14, 9:45 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
It isn't necessarily about who pays you to write reviews. Many miles and points bloggers tend to stay at hotels that let you earn and redeem points (surprise!).
Old Jul 8, 14, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
It isn't necessarily about who pays you to write reviews. Many miles and points bloggers tend to stay at hotels that let you earn and redeem points (surprise!).
Most likely a consumer will get better value spending that $150/night elsewhere. Weaker promotions and devalued award charts make those generic chain stays much less appealing than the old days.

And that's why those who enjoy the experience of travel should be reading actual travel blogs. How many reviews of various Hyatt Places does one need to read?

There is plenty of room for this type of unique content, and hopefully more bloggers are willing to provide it.
Old Jul 8, 14, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the only thing airbnb added to existing private rental offerings is renting of rooms.

there is obviously no reason for free/status travel people to discuss it.
nor hotel travel people, except when privately renting a hotel unit.

there is certainly discussion of private rentals on FT in destination forums and luxury hotels forum. and discussion of private rentals of hotel units in their respective forums. and discussion of budget aspect of private rentals / room rentals on FT in budget forum.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 9, 14 at 6:43 am
Old Jul 8, 14, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
TPG posts a lot about it. I think as his business has grown he's had the cash to dish out for Airbnb and VRBO properties more.
Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
no money in it for them. they cant push a CC or a referral link that gets them cash back. some of the smaller bloggers have done a great job of writing about it. Romsdeals for one comes to mind.

Also, it seems as a lot of the big name bloggers have skewed really high end. For them airBnB is the equal to a hostel... VFTW turns his nose down on international business class (unless east coast to europe); Mommypoints now visitis such budget/family friendly hotspots such as the maldives...
Speaking of TPG, you'll notice he usually pushes the Barclays Arrival card when he mentions AirBnB. The travel statement credits can apply to AirBnB charges. Did anyone really think it was because he is successful enough to be more objective?

As for MommyPoints, who doesn't aspire to bring their family to entirely cosmopolitan and relevant ... Maldivian beaches?
Old Jul 9, 14, 1:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
This is something which far too few people recognize. Nearly all of the blogs talked about in this forum are NOT travel blogs. They are somewhere between miles & points and financial services. And that gets a whole different style of content.
That pretty much hits the nails on the head. The P&M bloggers focus on how to travel on P&M, which invariably leads them to travel means that can be acquired with P&M and methods to acquire P&M at a low cost.

Travel bloggers (and there are a ton out there) report about travel, with a wide spectrum of quality and sincerity. I'm sure Airbnb spend some marketing cash on building their image in that slice of the blogosphere
Old Jul 9, 14, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Travel bloggers (and there are a ton out there) report about travel, with a wide spectrum of quality and sincerity. I'm sure Airbnb spend some marketing cash on building their image in that slice of the blogosphere
+1

For example, I would not go to an Opera blog like Parterre.com or Intermezzo.typepad.com and expect to find mentions and analysis of rap music (and vice-versa).

Search this Thread