Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
God Save The Points has turned up on BA.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
YHBU is selling a fare that is displayed incorrectly as business by an OTA to be an error fare. 🤦
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I decided to fit in a trip to a place that I've looked forward to seeing for years but that no blogger would probably ever try to pump as an "aspirational" destination--Halifax and Nova Scotia.
Huh...both Rapid Travel Chai and I have written a decent amount about travel to the Canadian Maritime provinces; he's more partial to PEI than I am. And I know I've stated it as one of the better award trips I ever booked from a points value perspective.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Huh...both Rapid Travel Chai and I have written a decent amount about travel to the Canadian Maritime provinces; he's more partial to PEI than I am. And I know I've stated it as one of the better award trips I ever booked from a points value perspective.
I didn't say that no blogger has ever visited or written about this area--rather, I doubt that anyone is pushing it as "aspirational" in the sense that the Maldives or the PH Vendome or The Residence are pushed by some of the points-and-miles crew. I'm not even making the argument that it's aspirational, just a place that I want to visit.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I didn't say that no blogger has ever visited or written about this area--rather, I doubt that anyone is pushing it as "aspirational" in the sense that the Maldives or the PH Vendome or The Residence are pushed by some of the points-and-miles crew. I'm not even making the argument that it's aspirational, just a place that I want to visit.
Not to go OT, you will love NS. Go to the wine area, beautiful area and surprisingly nice wines.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:55 pm

Even more so, when you're in Little Rock, you've got to do the extra work to get outside the hotel and find the local places (while pitching the CSR at three points for dining with a local restaurant that's on the Rewards Network program for another five) that can offset the pain of business travel with really solid earning opportunities.

But I understand that might take really hard work to uncover those opportunities, and it's a lot easier to just scream, "get the [] hotel card, which will give you two nights anywhere!" Even if it's really two nights where you don't want to go.
If there was a site that had that kind of focus, what would you be most interested in reading about? Hotel reviews, random things to do in the local area, restaurant reviews, maximizing point / mile opportunities locally, or something else?

I'm going to be in a position to do that throughout the US over the next 5+ years, so I'm curious what people would be most interested in reading / learning about.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
If there was a site that had that kind of focus, what would you be most interested in reading about? Hotel reviews, random things to do in the local area, restaurant reviews, maximizing point / mile opportunities locally, or something else?
For me, it would be mid-range hotel and rental car reviews. It seems that there's a hundred posts on what Diamond (or Globalist, now) gets you at the Park Hyatt Maldives, or how the St. Regis New York treats Plats.

What I don't see nearly as often is a review of a Courtyard/Sheraton/Hilton Garden Inn, especially outside the biggest cities. Bonus points for how they treat mid-tier elites. It's very similar to car rental places. Most tripadvisor reviews are going to be when something goes horribly, or incredibly well. Very few people record their average experience.

It's one reason I loved DaveNCL's trip reports, while they were going. The mundane can be very interesting.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Very few people record their average experience.
Which sucks. But those posts don't generate the traffic (and revenue) to justify it if one is looking to create a business out of writing.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
For me, it would be mid-range hotel and rental car reviews. It seems that there's a hundred posts on what Diamond (or Globalist, now) gets you at the Park Hyatt Maldives, or how the St. Regis New York treats Plats.

What I don't see nearly as often is a review of a Courtyard/Sheraton/Hilton Garden Inn, especially outside the biggest cities. Bonus points for how they treat mid-tier elites. It's very similar to car rental places. Most tripadvisor reviews are going to be when something goes horribly, or incredibly well. Very few people record their average experience.

It's one reason I loved DaveNCL's trip reports, while they were going. The mundane can be very interesting.
Thanks for the feedback. We're planning on staying in mid-range hotels like Sheraton, Hilton Garden Inn, etc, as well as the extended stay style hotels like Staybridge Suites, TownePlace Suites, etc. so that we have a kitchen as often as possible. We're traveling with our dog, so that unfortunately rules out quite a few Courtyards and Hilton Garden Inns.

The first year we'll likely be IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold (although Diamond until end of March 2018), SPG Gold and Marriott Gold. As we'll literally be living in hotels for five years though, we'll probably (and hopefully!) end up with top tier status with all four of those most years. It should still give a good idea of what these hotels outside the big cities are like, even if not from a mid-tier perspective. When it comes to redemptions, we'll be focusing on category 1 & 2 hotels, so we won't be balling it at Andaz, St Regis, etc.

We'll be driving our own car though, so I'm afraid there wouldn't be any info about car rental companies.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by NoHomeJustRoam
None. There are already way too many blogs out there (or review type sites) doing this.

You asked
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
None. There are already way too many blogs out there (or review type sites) doing this.

You asked
Fair enough! I'm hoping we'll have a bit more of an interesting story to tell though as we'll be doing it on a 5 year, 50 state road trip, so it won't be (or I hope it won't be) just your average travel / points blog.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by 100orBust
10 bucks says oliver2002 prematurely closes this thread.
Pay up.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I truly don't think any of these BA bloggers even know how to Google they really do just copy paste from one another.
​​​​​​
Case in point, three of them have articles about Delta being interested in a 24% Jet Airways stake. All have similar hypothesis about why, yet not a single one seems to have done any research or paid attention to that fact that 5 weeks ago a DL SVP was named Jet Airways CEO, a piece of information that provides significant insight into this relationship.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>>>yet not a single one seems to have done any research...

Huh? Research? That takes time and time is page views=money
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
yet not a single one seems to have done any research or paid attention to that fact that 5 weeks ago a DL SVP was named Jet Airways CEO, a piece of information that provides significant insight into this relationship.
I'd say that is of relatively low significance in the new relationship. Delta has a recent history of buying in to airline partners where it can extract an outsized benefit of regional significance. GOL, Aeromexico, Virgin Atlantic and China Eastern are examples.

Jet is a major partner into India and beyond and also a partner with AF/KL. DL can buy in cheap plus continue to grow the partnership. Even if it didn't have an exec as CEO that's not a horrible plan. They've gotta do something with those billions in profits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.