Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I'm just hoping to write some particular crappy posts that get me my own hate/"critique" thread here, should help viewer numbers!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Great start! Next they need to de-emphasize any blog post that ends with a contrived request for engagement. What do you think: should Facebook do that? Post your comments below.

Ah hahaha I can't stop laughing with this one
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
On that note, here's a post that ends with the obligatory "What are your thoughts?" This would be bad enough, but the poster hasn't even bothered to give his own thoughts in this remarkably content-free copy/paste job. Uh, shouldn't you offer something that passes as a thought or opinion before exhorting your readers to do the same thing?

http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...155.1471015545
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Just in case you didn't know, there's another award booking service and it's only $50!!!!':$;&/)))^|€|>{€!!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
So many of the BA bloggers are clueless on so many levels -- substantive, stylistic, you name it.

Here's an example from today's post by the Travel Update blog. It opens with this: "I’ve never really got the hang of Arrivals lounges. As soon as I land, I just want to get home/to my hotel."

What's wrong with this? Let me count the ways.

First, there's the grammar and the proofreading. See that random slash floating around in there, which I guess is supposed to be an "or"? And "got" as though it were the same thing as "gotten"? Yeah, that's a past participle. (You know, like the difference between "ran" and "run"; or "swam" and "swum.") All this in the first two sentences, no less.

Second, there's the diction. The post uses "get the hang of" as though that were a synonym for "understand." My thought? I've never gotten the hang of lounges either; too much skill is required.

And third, there's the actual substance. This guy is so clueless he really can't understand the use of an arrivals lounge. It's as though, for him, there's no such thing as business travel with morning meetings or connecting flights with a layover.

I'm afraid I didn't read further. But if you want to, here's a link:

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com...244.1465835334

Last edited by FallenPlat; Aug 18, 2016 at 6:31 pm
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
So many of the BA bloggers are clueless on so many levels -- substantive, stylistic, you name it.

Here's an example from today's post by the Travel Update blog. It opens with this: "I’ve never really got the hang of Arrivals lounges. As soon as I land, I just want to get home/to my hotel."

What's wrong with this? Let me count the ways.

First, there's the grammar and the proofreading. See that random slash floating around in there, which I guess is supposed to be an "or"? And "got" as though it were the same thing as "gotten"? Yeah, that's a past participle. (You know, like the difference between "ran" and "run"; or "swam" and "swum.") All this in the first two sentences, no less.

Second, there's the diction. The post uses "get the hang of" as though that were a synonym for "understand." My thought? I've never gotten the hang of lounges either; too much skill is required.

And third, there's the actual substance. This guy is so clueless he really can't understand the use of an arrivals lounge. It's as though, for him, there's no such thing as business travel with morning meetings or connecting flights with a layover.

I'm afraid I didn't read further. But if you want to, here's a link:

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com...244.1465835334
So he doesn't understand their purpose but "hey here's a review of this one and it's great!"? Interesting.

Arrivals lounges are great not only for business travel but even personal travel with morning arrivals. Seems like a pretty straightforward concept.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Arrivals lounges are great not only for business travel but even personal travel with morning arrivals. Seems like a pretty straightforward concept.
Keep in mind that a lot of the bloggers do not travel for business outside of the business of blogging. Anyone who has ever landed in Hong Kong from the US at 6 am and needed to go straight into a full day of meetings knows why you don't just go straight to the hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I can't believe it's even possible for BA to be getting worse, but it is. At this point the halfway decent (which is as good as it gets) blogs need to think about jumping ship, seriously.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I guess what I object to most is giving a platform -- any kind of platform -- to a bunch of semi-literate posts that evince an experience of the world so tiny that it would have to be measured in nanometers. I don't think they even make rulers that small.

I remain a cautious fan of a few of the blogs, which is why I keep reading. Or, more accurately, skimming and glancing.

And then, too, some of the posts are so bad that they're funny. There's always that.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I guess what I object to most is giving a platform -- any kind of platform -- to a bunch of semi-literate posts that evince an experience of the world so tiny that it would have to be measured in nanometers. I don't think they even make rulers that small.

I remain a cautious fan of a few of the blogs, which is why I keep reading. Or, more accurately, skimming and glancing.

And then, too, some of the posts are so bad that they're funny. There's always that.
Randy posted on the face book recently that BA had a record day or week or month or something recently.

So apparently semi-literacy is increasingly popular.

ETA, here it is:

Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:00 pm

I'm a sample size of one BA blog, I realize, but my traffic has never been better, even though my posting frequency has been fairly anemic during the last two quarters.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I'm a sample size of one BA blog, I realize, but my traffic has never been better, even though my posting frequency has been fairly anemic during the last two quarters.
That would suggest that the increases come from marketing, not better/more desirable content, no?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
That would suggest that the increases come from marketing, not better/more desirable content, no?
Well I think my content has gotten a little better and/or more sharable, but BA also does a great job pushing our content to many different channels as well, so probably equal parts of both.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Both Renes have apparently started experimenting with clickbait titles, but not apostrophes.

All is right in the universe
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Both Renes have apparently started experimenting with clickbait titles, but not apostrophes.

All is right in the universe
I think you mean "Alls right in the universe." :-:^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.