Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:40 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Adam1222
And freedom of expression means that there will be people calling out poor and tasteless attempts at humor.

It looks like an editor finally pulled the post overnight. The author was being quite nasty in the comments section while getting absolutely torched.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Wow...just wow....could this site get any lower? Also, I never found this Take off nap funny....AT ALL! To do this post to try to get clicks from 911 is beyond awful!
hockeystl, HadesNL and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Cached version:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Absolutely shameful.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
It's all about the clicks...stop clicking!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:22 am

Anyone able to use the filter listed above and get it to work on the C Boarding Group blog? Tried exact same syntax but it doesn't seem to work on that one... wonder if I'm typing or formatting something wrong.

Edit: ahhhhh finally got it to work. So happy... bye bye takeoff nap, c boarding group and paddle your own kanoo. Right down the toilet where they belong. The post detailing how to do this is the FT POTY for me.

Last edited by antonius66; Oct 1, 2022 at 10:23 am
Old Oct 14, 2022, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Thoughts on the BA redesign?

On the upside, the Google+ follow link has gone :-)

The rest of it gives the impression that they used the person who 'redesigned' OMAAT. Total chaos. Worse on mobile because the images are huge - on an iPhone mini you literally get just one headline in your screen view at once. It looks like the sort of thing that you get from your designer as a first draft when they throw in lots of different ideas to show you what is possible.

The ability to filter by country is pointless. A German blog is happy to write about flight deals from the UK, but block German blogs and you'd miss those. I would have done it just by continent, if at all - even then, a European just selecting European blogs would miss relevant hotel content on US sites.

The only upside is the ability to cherry pick the exact blogs you want to see, although I'm sure about half of the list haven't posted for months. I would do this rather than restricting by geography.

There is a good redesign in there, fighting to get out, but it is losing the battle at the moment.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Hmmm,

i am missing a search function....

you know :
the magnifying glass where you type in a topic and it would search al BA blogs for the posts containing that topic...

oh wait ...

that would reveal that most content is echoed by every subsuquent BA- blogger anyway
or
reveal a dedicated ghostwriter team pumping out content and just tarts it up with a different sauce masking it as exclusive content
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Can't stand the redesign. At least with the old design, it was easy to quickly scroll through the new posts and see (a) topic (b) who wrote it, so you could decide if it was something worth reading.

Now it is way too busy and there also isn't enough definition between the different sections to quickly scan and see all the new posts. They "raised squares" worked because visually they were isolated now it looks like one big mess
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 4:03 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Raffles
Thoughts on the BA redesign?

On the upside, the Google+ follow link has gone :-)

The rest of it gives the impression that they used the person who 'redesigned' OMAAT. Total chaos. Worse on mobile because the images are huge - on an iPhone mini you literally get just one headline in your screen view at once. It looks like the sort of thing that you get from your designer as a first draft when they throw in lots of different ideas to show you what is possible.

The ability to filter by country is pointless. A German blog is happy to write about flight deals from the UK, but block German blogs and you'd miss those. I would have done it just by continent, if at all - even then, a European just selecting European blogs would miss relevant hotel content on US sites.

The only upside is the ability to cherry pick the exact blogs you want to see, although I'm sure about half of the list haven't posted for months. I would do this rather than restricting by geography.

There is a good redesign in there, fighting to get out, but it is losing the battle at the moment.
The thing I dislike the most about the OMAAT redesign was the pop-up when viewing a page, 1) you barely can read now with the huge pop-up, 2) it messes up with my music playing in the background as OMAAT set those audio-less pop-ups as videos, and my headphone will pause the music as it thinks that I have clicked a video with the intention to listen to the audio of the video. Couldn't they figure out to store those pop-ups as GIFs instead?
Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite what I wrote a couple of posts up, I have now lost patience with the new Boarding Area homepage. It's just ludicrous. Ads at the top, ads at the bottom, a pop-up video ad AND huge ads amongst the articles, plus such a ludicrous number of different sizes for the article blocks that your brain can't keep track.

I just don't understand what sentient human being at BA could have looked at this and signed it off as acceptable.
hockeystl and ctownflyer like this.

Last edited by Raffles; Oct 25, 2022 at 11:44 pm
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Despite what I wrote a couple of posts up, I have now lost patience with the new Boarding Area homepage. It's just ludicrous. Ads at the top, ads at the bottom, a pop-up video ad AND huge ads amongst the articles, plus such a ludicrous number of different sizes for the article blocks that your brain can't keep track.

I just don't understand what sentient human being at BA could have looked at this and signed it off as acceptable.
I've noticed the same. It's annoying when viewing on a desktop but from a mobile device it's to the point where I don't even bother clicking to BA anymore. Trying to click off all the X's to clear the popups at a level you only usually see when trying to watch some sporting event on a hacked stream!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The ad market has become tough... you need to get as many ad impressions in as possible
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except you don’t.

We cut our ad units in our redesign 2 years and recently stopped all Adsense. We now sell 100% of our ad space direct to people who will pay premium rates because their ad will stand out.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:24 am

What I find just awful at BA is that even bloggers who tried in the past to provide useful content responsibly are turning to purely pump posts (understandable to a degree) AND just clickbait drivel. I guess BA is cornering the morons who keep clicking...Extends to the big societal issues in the US and the world, sad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.