Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by sbm12
Indeed, because pointing out deals to your readers is bad if it doesn't also make you a commission.

That's almost as bad as the blogger I heard telling a Chase rep that he wouldn't publish details about the IHG card unless they started pay commissions, despite acknowledging that it was a compelling card offer.
You misunderstood what I meant, although I admit it wasn't clear.

What I meant was that I didn't bother getting an affiliate deal with that chain because I knew 99% of bookings would have a loyalty programme number in them and would therefore be invalidated.

I still cover the programme.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I wish I could've taken advantage of it, I honestly didn't have the $1500 to spend even with a 4th night free!
aman bali and amanoi still available, only couple hundred a night after 4th nt free

noi low season + 4th nt free ends after november
bali low season + 4th nt free ends after january, except holidays

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 14, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
My understanding is that when they get posted they get scrubbed. That used to be the case, anyway.
Certainly not in the Hyatt forum; there is a fairly active thread there with them and has been for years. SPG forum doesn't allow them IIRC. Don't know about the others. Seems to be at moderator's discretion.

I'm fairly indifferent about the whole thing. I don't think posting them is a great business plan, anymore than posting 'how to' guides for 'trick it' type tickets is. Sure it might generate some views (and therefore $) in the short-term, but you kill your reputation and risk your relationships. Further, nobody will be willing to discuss anything with you, because they don't know if they can trust you to keep it private, so you'll miss out on stuff in the future.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I love reading BA but over the last few months, it's been noticeably slipping more and more towards uselessness.

There have recently been a spate of low to zero-content posts that are just random thoughts or musings that really wouldn't even be appropriate for a FB or Twitter post, let alone a click-bait article.

http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....or-tour-guide/

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/when-...-credit-cards/

I mean, you don't have to post every random, inconsequential thought that comes to mind.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Assuming the 80/20 rule applies to BA, I would be tempted to save myself 80 per cent of my admin and remove 80 per cent of the duplication by culling 80 per cent of the bloggers, whilst keeping 80 per cent of my revenue!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I love reading BA but over the last few months, it's been noticeably slipping more and more towards uselessness.

There have recently been a spate of low to zero-content posts that are just random thoughts or musings that really wouldn't even be appropriate for a FB or Twitter post, let alone a click-bait article.

http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....or-tour-guide/

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/when-...-credit-cards/

I mean, you don't have to post every random, inconsequential thought that comes to mind.
And yet, thanks to your links, those two articles will most likely get 10x the traffic they normally would have.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
That's actually pretty much the point of a blog, to share the things that the author finds interesting or exciting. As a reader you get to choose to walk away when an author's content no longer meets your needs.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Great example of stupid clickbait and lack of substance to an article here. I'm not even sure what the "1 thing" is and I've read the article several times:

Hertz Gold Plus Rewards: 1 thing you must know BEFORE booking
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CMK10
Great example of stupid clickbait ...
So why did you click??
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:04 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
That's actually pretty much the point of a blog, to share the things that the author finds interesting or exciting. As a reader you get to choose to walk away when an author's content no longer meets your needs.
What a quaint, anachronistic notion! You'd be right if this was still 2005!

In 2015 the point of a blog is to achieve monetization through a combination of SEO, ads and affiliate marketing. @:-)
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Great example of stupid clickbait and lack of substance to an article here. I'm not even sure what the "1 thing" is and I've read the article several times:

Hertz Gold Plus Rewards: 1 thing you must know BEFORE booking
I think the "1 thing" is that you have to bring the credit card you put in your profile with you to your first rental. But it's certainly not clear.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, that's it. The post was so poorly done that I had to think for a moment when I read it.

The underlying premise here is also completely silly. The post presumes readers haven't signed up for Hertz's club, which has been around for ever and which is free to anyone. I signed up some 25 years ago, for one example.

This is the same blog that concluded a few days ago that off-airport rental companies sure are more of a pain than on-airport ones, especially at DCA.

Some of the BA blogs post consistently interesting stuff. Others make me wonder.

(One of the better ones is the one in German, by the way. Why does that make sense for BA?)
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:51 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Y'all are SO wrong!

It's Boarding Area's RISE! (with from FlyerTalk bashing sprinkled on top)

Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I don't get it? Alexa shows FT as being more trafficked than BA.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Let's talk about BA's rapid decline into a garbage dumb that seems to only be accelerating.
Agreed. The amount of "copy-paste" sameness is abhorrent. And most of the content is stolen from Flyertalk where you could have read the same a day earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.