Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
In case anyone needed more confirmation that Brian Cohen's blog would be lucky to be referred to as Garbage, just checkout this morning's blog title:

You Won’t Believe What Happened Next After How Surprised I Was With These — Especially With #2

Wow.... Just wow...
I suspect you didn't actually read the article, which discusses not only dismay with click-bait but its pervasiveness not just in internet headlines but marketing emails and other places. The headline is satirical.

The Gate is one of the most well-written blogs on BA, both in terms of content and quality of writing (grammar, punctuation, composition, etc.)
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I suspect you didn't actually read the article, which discusses not only dismay with click-bait but its pervasiveness not just in internet headlines but marketing emails and other places. The headline is satirical.

The Gate is one of the most well-written blogs on BA, both in terms of content and quality of writing (grammar, punctuation, composition, etc.)
^
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:08 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
In case anyone needed more confirmation that Brian Cohen's blog would be lucky to be referred to as Garbage, just checkout this morning's blog title:
RFDMinnesota, not nice at all; and downright MEAN. I'd say you owe Brian a "public apology." I certainly hope that people never speak of you, or your work the same way.

+1 ^^

Last edited by baccarat_king; Sep 5, 2015 at 11:53 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
RFDMinnesota, not nice at all; and downright MEAN. I'd say you owe Brian a "public apology." I certainly hope that people never speak of you, or your work the same way.

+1 ^^
You're 100% correct.

I prematurely jumped to an unfounded conclusion and shamed when it is I who should be ashamed, of which I am.

I apologize for my poor conduct Mr. Cohen
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:19 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
You're 100% correct.

I prematurely jumped to an unfounded conclusion and shamed when it is I who should be ashamed, of which I am.

I apologize for my poor conduct Mr. Cohen
Well, we all make mistakes... and jump to conclusions...

Heck.. I'm one of the most flawed people on the planet (no comments, please).

But, it's refreshing when we can take a step back; and actually admit we made an error.

Thanks, RFDMinnesota, that was very kind and the right thing to do!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

except.. he should have made satire clear in title IMHO
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
except.. he should have made satire clear in title IMHO
That would have defeated the point (and the humor).
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
That would have defeated the point (and the humor).
i didnt mean spelling it out, but being even crazier / obvious
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i didnt mean spelling it out, but being even crazier / obvious
Some folks like their humor on the subtle side.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:10 am

The Gate is one of the most well-written blogs on BA, ...
OMG, how sensitive. For me the only reason this blog exists
is for the narcissistic author to publish his mug on the front page a few times per day...
Equally useless as everything else out there.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:51 am

Wonder why it seems like you're reading the same authors over and over? Because you probably are.

Over the past 90ish days:

The numbers slightly undersell Deals We Like because it is counting posts by title and DWL reuses the same title too often. But that doesn't really change the order or share. Also, this is only counting the top 4 spots on the homepage as that's what one generally sees "above the fold" when loading and I didn't bother to count beyond that.

There have been an average of 53 posts/day on Boarding Area in the time surveyed.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Wonder why it seems like you're reading the same authors over and over? Because you probably are.

Over the past 90ish days:

The numbers slightly undersell Deals We Like because it is counting posts by title and DWL reuses the same title too often. But that doesn't really change the order or share. Also, this is only counting the top 4 spots on the homepage as that's what one generally sees "above the fold" when loading and I didn't bother to count beyond that.

There have been an average of 53 posts/day on Boarding Area in the time surveyed.

As always, you are a wealth of information. I was a bit surprised to see Elliott with such a high %. I would have thought you would have been higher. I do my part by visiting your blog.

So, since you have first hand experience with BA what is the incentive for the "other 20" to be retained by BA or for them to continue to blog when they have such a small piece of the pie? I can't imagine they would get a lot of CC clicks, if they even have CC links. I guess a blogger doesn't pay anything to be on BA or to stay on that platform? I know blogging is a lot of work and I'm just curious if being part of BA may be an ego boast to a blogger, even if they get a tiny share of readers and that's why they stay.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
So, since you have first hand experience with BA what is the incentive for the "other 20" to be retained by BA or for them to continue to blog when they have such a small piece of the pie?
I cannot speak for others; you'd have to ask them why they make the choices they do. I know that for me being on the site does direct a chunk of traffic my way. And, while I do not avail myself of the option, it is possible to have Boarding Area handle all the technical bits around design and hosting of the Wordpress site.

CC links are not related to Boarding Area at all. Each blogger gets those independently and uses them as they see fit. And I have no idea what the revenue share split is for the other blogs for the other ad units. I only know mine.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
I cannot speak for others; you'd have to ask them why they make the choices they do. I know that for me being on the site does direct a chunk of traffic my way. And, while I do not avail myself of the option, it is possible to have Boarding Area handle all the technical bits around design and hosting of the Wordpress site.

CC links are not related to Boarding Area at all. Each blogger gets those independently and uses them as they see fit. And I have no idea what the revenue share split is for the other blogs for the other ad units. I only know mine.
Thanks, As an aside, I just googled Trams in Istanbul and found your post about getting from the airport using public transportation. I should have just gone to your site and not bothered with google.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Didn't elliot leave BArea a while ago? You have to take out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.