Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:43 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Good. Because the post's language "recently engaged" could mean "recently served" but more generally would be interpreted to mean "recently retained"--implying that the litigation hadn't yet concluded. And I guarantee that most trial judges are none too happy with pending or current litigation being discussed in a forum outside the courtroom.

If our assumptions are faulty, then the conclusions may be as well. Also a worthwhile lesson.
At best, poor choice of words with the need to take writing classes or hire an editor. At worst, we're talking about someone who doesn't know or care about ethics. I'm leaning towards the former due to the other shoddy content.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
My view is that it was an interesting and insightful post marred by a little self-promotion gone awry. I'm still a sucker for just about any kind of "think-piece" post, though, even if the execution falls a bit short.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:29 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Rather less on "sophisticated travel" at Heels First than one might hope for... It's only Thursday and they've already covered faeces and solo trouserlessness this week.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:13 am

Some temptations are harder to resist than others, and this morning I'm afraid I can't resist commenting on The Mile Professor's recent post, "How American Airlines 500 Mile Upgrades Work." Now that would be merely profound. It gets better. She's actually never upgraded with a sticker before -- ever. And she's posting about how to do it. And she's Platinum. And no mention of all the Flyer Talk resources on this topic, either.

I normally don't read this blog, and now I'm remembering why.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:31 pm

Ok, IMH, I've been somewhat impressed by a few Heels First posts, but I'll have to grant that maybe Heels First is perhaps not that sophisticated after all. A recent post led with this: "I was surprised to see a museum dedicated to [Georgia O'Keeffe] in Santa Fe of all places!" That's the equivalent of saying, "I was surprised to see a museum dedicated to Picasso in Barcelona of all places!" Or maybe, "I was surprised to see a monument to Nelson in London of all places!"

(For the cognoscenti and for those who actually like O'Keeffe, unlike me, I'll add that a comment such as "I was surprised last year to see an exhibition dedicated to O'Keeffe at Glens Falls (Lake George) of all places!" actually would've been quite clever on a couple of different levels.)

I've just gotta change my ways and stop reading this stuff.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Welcome to the club
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I know, tell me about it...them blog posts just keep coming...it never ends!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Noticed GhettoIFE was rebranded in BA today: Economy Class & Beyond.

I personally find it amazing that there is much readership there.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Noticed GhettoIFE was rebranded in BA today: Economy Class & Beyond.

I personally find it amazing that there is much readership there.
I know Kevin so I am slightly biased, but it does have a niche on BA in covering some airliners.net territory - plane deliveries, new services etc. He also knows his stuff in this area. I think BA would benefit from a bit more of this as an adjunct to all the miles and points blogs.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:34 am
IMH

Originally Posted by Raffles
Kevin [...] knows his stuff in this area.
His trip reports are a wonderful antidote those of the "twelve F cabins in seven days" variety. His photographs add value, too.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by Raffles
I know Kevin so I am slightly biased, but it does have a niche on BA in covering some airliners.net territory - plane deliveries, new services etc. He also knows his stuff in this area. I think BA would benefit from a bit more of this as an adjunct to all the miles and points blogs.
Perhaps I should rephrase.

I don't mean to say that I find his blog to be of poor quality (except grammatically occasionally and his overuse of the word "whilst")

I just meant that I'm surprised he has a following considering low posting frequency, and coverage of topics that I doubt appeals to many, i.e covering BAcon for weeks after it's over, airplane art...etc
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:30 pm
IMH

I just meant that I'm surprised he has a following considering low posting frequency
I'd love to see more bloggers only posting when they've got something to say! Two or three posts a day may make commercial sense for those whose main business is blogging, but for most of them achieving that kind of frequency means posting a lot of dross.

covering BAcon for weeks after it's over, airplane art...etc
That's not really fair: "Viva Las BAcon" is a (very) long TR with lots of instalments, not 'coverage' of the BA event. As with most people's trip reports, I won't read most of it as it appears -- but if the past is any guide I'll have reason to refer to relevant bits of it at some point in the future.

airplane art...
I don't get excited by pictures of planes either, but for those who do it must be nice to be able to get a regular fix from someone who actually knows how to use a camera.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:22 pm

A long time ago (post 166) I said that a Points & Pixie Dust post recommending against going to the Louvre was the worst blog entry that I've ever seen -- by anyone, anywhere. A couple of days ago, we finally got an apology, of sorts, with her "How to Really Enjoy a Museum" post.

Don't look. It's not worth it.

Neither the post nor the NYT article it cribs from even mentions what may be the best part of museum visiting, namely seeing how much better art is in person than in reproduction. Jackson Pollock paintings, to take one obvious example, just look like paintings when you see them in reproduction; in person, you see instantly that they're really three-dimensional, almost sculptural, with sometimes dozens of paint layers.

And then seeing David in person just takes your breath away.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Oct 18, 2014 at 5:45 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by IMH
I'd never heard of The Forward Cabin before today, but it's certainly marched straight into the "no class" category. Not just for the suggestion in the post you refer to (which would probably cost Cadillac dealers and/or General Motors money rather than AA) but for the unpleasant response to a comment disagreeing with the blogger.
Points with a Crew stooped even lower. He openly states he's planning on pulling this with multiple dealerships and multiple AA accounts.

And in a different post blatantly lies to Cadillac, telling a rep he wants to immediately buy even though he has no intention of doing so. How many readers are going to follow his example now?

Lacee [5:49 PM]: I understand, do you know which vehicle you’re looking to test drive?
Dan Miller [5:50 PM]: CTS sedan
Lacee [5:51 PM]: Are you looking to purchase or lease? And how soon?
Dan Miller [5:51 PM]: purchase within the next 6-12 mos

Last edited by stackm; Oct 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by stackm
Points with a Crew stooped even lower. He openly states he's planning on pulling this with multiple dealerships and multiple AA accounts.
What a bunch of selfish self entitled attitude on some of these blogs. Personally I would never feel morally justified in getting miles at the expense of some poor salesperson who may have actually missed a sales opportunity with a real customer while being an unknowing part of an AA miles quest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.