FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   New Blog Idea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1582148-new-blog-idea.html)

100orBust Jun 2, 2014 3:05 pm

New Blog Idea

Hi All-

So I have an idea for a blog I wanted to run by you, since like myself we are the most cynical of the current blog model. :p

My friends and colleagues have asked me to start a blog to share some of the knowledge that they don't get on BA, etc. I never thought about it seriously, but now had an idea I'd like to share.

What if I started a blog and had cc links (but didn't pimp them nonstop), and then gaveaway the majority of the referral money to the charity of my reader's choice? Something like a monthly vote to charities.

I feel like this would be a way to create more positive change while doing something interesting. Thoughts?

brooklynmatt Jun 2, 2014 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by 100orBust (Post 22966705)
Hi All-

So I have an idea for a blog I wanted to run by you, since like myself we are the most cynical of the current blog model. :p

My friends and colleagues have asked me to start a blog to share some of the knowledge that they don't get on BA, etc. I never thought about it seriously, but now had an idea I'd like to share.

What if I started a blog and had cc links (but didn't pimp them nonstop), and then gaveaway the majority of the referral money to the charity of my reader's choice? Something like a monthly vote to charities.

I feel like this would be a way to create more positive change while doing something interesting. Thoughts?

Maybe you could just write a good blog and not worry about the links?

Doctor of Credit Jun 2, 2014 5:51 pm

I give away a large portion of my blog's income to charity at the moment and have committed giving a minimum of 10% going forward. I think you'd run into issues giving the full amount away to charity and publicizing it though as the affiliate networks don't want to disclose payouts to the public and other bloggers (everybody is on slightly different deals).

It's a nice idea, why not just give it a go and go from there. Writing & running a blog is hard work though.

Kagehitokiri Jun 2, 2014 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by 100orBust (Post 22966705)
like myself we are the most cynical

youre not cynical. if you were cynical you would understand there is no reason for people to trust that you are giving anything to charity, let alone everything.

concept is novel, but impossible to deliver.

unless.. >
1. have CC co send directly to charity, CC co makes public statement
2. charity makes public statement

84fiero Jun 3, 2014 6:15 am

I like the fact that your heart is in the right place and am glad to see people thinking outside of the box a bit. I suspect it would be difficult to implement exactly like this, from a practical perspective and due to sensitivities with the CC companies...though I don't have any firsthand experience with that aspect of it.

If you were thinking of giving away the vast majority of your referral income, then why not just consider doing the blog without the affiliate links to begin with? The end result is basically the same and then you're not bogged down with the links and possible issues that go with them.

Or like Doctor of Credit mentions, just make a blanket commitment for certain charity donations. That way you're not specifically tied to giving back from affiliate links in particular.

All that said, there isn't anything inherently wrong with CC affiliate links, other website revenue, or with running a blog as a business in general. It's whether or not the blogger operates with integrity and in a way that engenders long-term trust with a reader base. Just IMHO of course:)