Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Family Travel for Real Life is a go! #FT4RL save the date and call for speakers

Old Jun 2, 14, 10:10 am
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Dontcareist, Delta & United Silver

Hello fellow travelers,

"Family Travel for Real Life" is live! More info here: http://first2board.com/thedealmommy/...-list-schedule

Date: 8/23. Location: IAD

(Thanks, Seth, for the reminder not to use click-bait. In my excitement, I forgot to elaborate.)

Hope to see you there!

Last edited by The Deal Mommy; Jun 26, 14 at 8:46 am Reason: added info
Old Jun 3, 14, 6:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
In the context of family travel is this focused on any particular age groups of children (infants, toddlers, tweens, teens, etc)?
Old Jun 3, 14, 6:57 am
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Dontcareist, Delta & United Silver
Hi 84Fiero,

All elements from newborn to multi-generational. Travel with school age kids is where I'm at at the moment and is what I feel is the most under-represented, but I'm happy to go where the audience wants to!

The great thing about a smaller event is that we'll have time for Q&A based on your specific needs...thinking maybe a breakout session based on interests. I'm purposely trying to keep the price low to attract folks new to the hobby, but everyone can learn something (and I find value in meeting others in my same boat).

I've already heard from some great guest speakers, so I don't have to carry the load alone.
Old Jun 4, 14, 10:49 am

I am in if you will have me!
Old Jun 4, 14, 8:08 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Not sure if I can/can't attend, but most certainly something that me and my family do frequently, even last minute often.

What aspects are you trying to discuss specifically?
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:01 am
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidAL View Post
Not sure if I can/can't attend, but most certainly something that me and my family do frequently, even last minute often.

Hi David, I just updated my first post with detailed info.
Old Jun 25, 14, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For those who don't want to follow the click-bait, the event is scheduled for 23 August 2014.

That sort of detail - the date - is often useful to share when suggesting that someone "save the date" for an event.
Old Jun 26, 14, 8:43 am
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Thanks, Seth. Always useful info, and thanks for the bump!

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
For those who don't want to follow the click-bait, the event is scheduled for 23 August 2014.

That sort of detail - the date - is often useful to share when suggesting that someone "save the date" for an event.
Old Jun 26, 14, 8:54 am
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Hi David,
Cutting and pasting schedule here, if you want more info about the speakers, feel free to check out the link.

9:00-9:45: Registration and meet your fellow travelers
9:45-10:00: Welcome from The Deal Mommy
10:00-10:55: Shawn Coomer, Dad, from Miles to Memories on the topic of extended travel with your kids (with an assist from The Deal Mommy on Camp Mom).
11:00-11:55: Phil, Dad of 2, from Miles Abound on how to earn miles without opening 10 credit cards in one day or spending 20K a month and which programs are best for families.
12:00-12:55: Lunch (be sure to use this time to meet new friends and chat travel!)
1:00-1:55: Jason Steele, Dad of 2 and well-known points expert, on using those points on family travel (Have you ever tried to book 4 award tickets?)
2:00-2:55: Susan DeBruhl, Mom and Grandma, from Carolina Travel Girl on lodging options when a regular hotel room just isnít gonna cut it. Iíll have lots to share on this topic as well, including how I rent condos worldwide for $35/night!
2:55-3:10: Afternoon Break and snack
3:10-4:05: Debra Schroeder, Mom of 2, from Traveling Well for Less on how to keep saving once you get to your destination.
4:05-5:00: Ask the Speakers session. Make sure to bring your specific travel questions!

Originally Posted by DavidAL View Post