Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Old May 15, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Gary and Ben both run 'book with points' businesses.

Get paid for selling the dream to the customer then make the customer pay to get the reality. Make money coming and going. Brilliant business plan!!! ^
Yup.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Award booking is a messy business, the effort required is nowhere close to the return you get selling credit cards.
But if you can write some code........
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:58 pm
Suspended

I’m Going to Rent My House to My Wife and Earn 30,000 British Airways Miles

I expected something like this from DoctorOfCredit, not good ol' Gary!
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stuck720
I expected something like this from DoctorOfCredit, not good ol' Gary!
Scammers gonna scam
Greedy don't change
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:56 am

I'm starting to think Gary likes the Hyatt Visa.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm starting to think Gary likes the Hyatt Visa.
Nah, it couldn't be!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
At the same time other CC sellers are mocked

josephstern and 84fiero like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
At the same time other CC sellers are mocked

https://twitter.com/garyleff/status/1155573737342808064
If anyone should need to send an email to Mr. Leff (can't imagine why this would happen) they should clearly use the subject "Questions about getting the Hyatt card for me and my wife and our eleven grown kids."
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:53 am

The clickbait continues of course, today with "Global Entry is Becoming Tougher to Get - And Being Revoked"

The actual content is:

- Nothing about GE criteria becoming more stringent, as the headline implies, but about the lengthy wait times currently being experienced for processing the initial applications. So - not tougher to get, just taking longer. Which sucks of course, but not the scare that the headline contains.

- A "reminder" - link to a prior VFTW post - of things that can cause one's GE to be revoked (failure to declare declarable items, criminal convictions, etc); not the implication from the headline that GEs are somehow being suddenly revoked for some totally new reason or whatever.

Both of the above are good pieces of info to be aware of - there really wasn't any need for the click-bait, but I guess when you're in the habit...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:43 am

Yeah - that post was pretty bad. The signal to noise ratio here is getting incredibly low.

I really can't think of the last time I saw a useful post on this site.

I'm sure Gary's laughing all the way to the bank, but that's fine too.
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Does VFTW now block non-spam blog comments? I tried responding to a blog entry but my comment wouldnt show up after submitting the comment; and so I tried twice more and they still didnt show up. Maybe they will show up after a manual review?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Does VFTW now block non-spam blog comments? I tried responding to a blog entry but my comment wouldnt show up after submitting the comment; and so I tried twice more and they still didnt show up. Maybe they will show up after a manual review?
They showed up eventually.

What is interesting is that VFTW seems to at times disappear entire blog articles along with all the comments to the blog articles. This is the second time Ive seen this done on the VFTW blog within less than a year. Why does VFTW delete blog articles?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA

What is interesting is that VFTW seems to at times disappear entire blog articles along with all the comments to the blog articles. This is the second time Ive seen this done on the VFTW blog within less than a year. Why does VFTW delete blog articles?
I'm not sure which articles you are referring to, but generically speaking deleting a blog post is not best practice. Google still directs people to it for weeks and there are likely other internal links that go bad when you delete a post. Plus you lose the DA juice from any backlinks to that specific url in your domain. Best practice is to update old content or a 301 redirect to related/updated content.

I suspect he's not deleting posts, but rather hiding or 'unpublishing' them. Maybe to work on updating them? Or to shelve them until he has time to?

We could ask him, but he doesn't post on FlyerTalk anymore (although he does read this thread).
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:58 pm

I don't recall the specifics offhand, but there were a couple of instances where VFTW posted about something...then some other bloggers posted about it as well. Then it ended up the information was shown to be wrong. I noticed that other bloggers updated their original post with a correction. Yet the original post from VFTW simply disappeared.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't recall the specifics offhand, but there were a couple of instances where VFTW posted about something...then some other bloggers posted about it as well. Then it ended up the information was shown to be wrong. I noticed that other bloggers updated their original post with a correction. Yet the original post from VFTW simply disappeared.
VFTW did this disappearing act with a blog article about what was thought to be an anti-Semitic rant by a male passenger who resided in the DC metropolitan area (and happened to be Jewish himself).

VFTW more recently did this disappearing act with a blog article about the British families who drove across a ditch separating Canada from the US and ended up in trouble with CBP/ICE because of it.
84fiero likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.