Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am keeping a list of blog posts all these successful bloggers are doing to screw their readers. I am sure JonNYC approves, sad!
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The FTC has laid out and enforced guidelines what bloggers are supposed to disclose. Sadly no one in the credit card selling 'travel' blogosphere bothers to follow it.
So FTC enforced the guidelines against VFTW, and VFTW didn’t bother to follow the enforcement? Doesn’t sound like enforcement.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I didnt say that the FTC and VFTW had any interactions.... ?

The FTC says the following:
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...ple-are-asking
Suppose you meet someone who tells you about a great new product. She tells you it performs wonderfully and offers fantastic new features that nobody else has. Would that recommendation factor into your decision to buy the product? Probably.Now suppose the person works for the company that sells the product – or has been paid by the company to tout the product. Would you want to know that when you’re evaluating the endorser’s glowing recommendation? You bet. That common-sense premise is at the heart of the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) Endorsement Guides.The Guides, at their core, reflect the basic truth-in-advertising principle that endorsements must be honest and not misleading. An endorsement must reflect the honest opinion of the endorser and can’t be used to make a claim that the product’s marketer couldn’t legally make.
Isn’t it common knowledge that bloggers are paid to tout products or that if you click a link on a blogger’s site to buy a product, the blogger will get a commission?No. Some bloggers who mention products in their posts have no connection to the marketers of those products – they don’t receive anything for their reviews or get a commission. They simply recommend those products to their readers because they believe in them. Moreover, the financial arrangements between some bloggers and advertisers may be apparent to industry insiders, but not to everyone else who reads a particular blog. Under the law, an act or practice is deceptive if it misleads “a significant minority” of consumers. Even if some readers are aware of these deals, many readers aren’t. That’s why disclosure is important
So if you write about an fantastic offer of hotel points on sale against cash and fail to clearly disclose that buying points for cash after clicking the link in that article you will run afoul of FTC rules. Putting a big block of catch all legalese on the blog post or in the about us section doesn't relieve that requirement. Sadly the latter is done by all bloggers.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I didnt say that the FTC and VFTW had any interactions.... ?

The FTC says the following:
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...ple-are-asking

So if you write about an fantastic offer of hotel points on sale against cash and fail to clearly disclose that buying points for cash after clicking the link in that article you will run afoul of FTC rules. Putting a big block of catch all legalese on the blog post or in the about us section doesn't relieve that requirement. Sadly the latter is done by all bloggers.
Sounds like the FTC doesn’t enforce much of anything against the bloggers who have themselved covered with legalese fine print.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Sounds like the FTC doesn’t enforce much of anything against the bloggers who have themselved covered with legalese fine print.
Wouldn't any level of enforcement first require a complaint being lodged? People probably can't be bothered to complain unless they feel cheated in some way.

In any case, I find the "banter" here interesting. I never read the blogs anywhere near what can be described as "regularly", but do enjoy reading entries that are mentioned on FT (in other forums that I frequent often) from time to time.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by gleff
A reader points me back to this thread, highlighting this spurious charge against me. Sadly I suspect better judgment would be not to engage here. However the allegation that I took someone else's work and claimed it was my own was absolutely 100% false. It gets repeated either by people that haven't bothered to fact check, or who want it to be true badly enough that they choose not do so.

Loyalty Lobby claimed I copied and pasted a hotel list they created and claimed it was my own. That is false. In my post I quoted the blog where I found the list -- (the content in question, from 2014, was in the form of a direct quote). However where I made a mistake is that I attributed it to <I>Head for Points</i>, failing to realize that he himself had quoted the list from Loyalty Lobby. So I cited HFP, not LL. I absolutely blew it. But the mistake was misattribution and was never "not crediting other bloggers."

There probably isn't another blog in the miles and points space that goes out of their way to credit sources more than I do. Sadly the person who originated this misleading allegation takes the opposite approach.. I'll now allow better judgment to return, leaving this forum as a space space for criticisms. I wanted to correct this one false claim, and will not delve further into speculation, accusations, or vitriol.

Best,
Gary
Welcome back to posting on FlyerTalk (from your blog it's clear you read FT plenty)!

Thanks for the clarification and for taking your (correct rather than incorrect) lumps here.

FWIW, though, just like in all the service provider forums, this is a space for all discussion, not just criticism. Although just like in the airline and hotel forums, sometimes it may not seem that way. @:-)
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Wouldn't any level of enforcement first require a complaint being lodged? People probably can't be bothered to complain unless they feel cheated in some way.

In any case, I find the "banter" here interesting. I never read the blogs anywhere near what can be described as "regularly", but do enjoy reading entries that are mentioned on FT (in other forums that I frequent often) from time to time.
People who are misled by bloggers tend to come to Flyertalk when they realize their dream of using 240000 flibbits to travel the world for free in business class on December 24 isn't so easy in reality, and this community then deals with trying to clean it up.

Just because no one has enforced consumer protection laws against Gary or other bloggers doesn't mean they aren't violating them; just because enforcement action isn't taken doesn't mean its right; "legalese" like that on these blogs probably isn't of much "legal" value. Compliance departments at financial service providers focus on risk of enforcement action, not best practices for complying with the law.

There are also a number of factors (i.e., political), that cause low levels of enforcement. This particular blogger indeed plays an active role in fighting against active government regulation and enforcement of consumer and other laws.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by gleff
A reader points me back to this thread, highlighting this spurious charge against me. Sadly I suspect better judgment would be not to engage here. However the allegation that I took someone else's work and claimed it was my own was absolutely 100% false. It gets repeated either by people that haven't bothered to fact check, or who want it to be true badly enough that they choose not do so.

Loyalty Lobby claimed I copied and pasted a hotel list they created and claimed it was my own. That is false. In my post I quoted the blog where I found the list -- (the content in question, from 2014, was in the form of a direct quote). However where I made a mistake is that I attributed it to <I>Head for Points</i>, failing to realize that he himself had quoted the list from Loyalty Lobby. So I cited HFP, not LL. I absolutely blew it. But the mistake was misattribution and was never "not crediting other bloggers."
Best,
Gary
Appreciate you setting the record straight on this part!
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Luckily for all of us, IHG now makes the PB list accessible in a way which allows a cut and paste, with a bit of tidying up on top, rather than a mass rewrite of 150 hotel names!

This was always one of the more intriguing dilemmas I ever came across though. Imagine you have a PDF list of 150 hotel names. Someone has retyped it already into normal text for online use. You COULD spend an hour retyping it yourself but the end result would be IDENTICAL to the list the someone else has already retyped and put online. No-one would be able to tell whether you had retyped it or cut and pasted. So what, realistically, do you do?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Raffles
Luckily for all of us, IHG now makes the PB list accessible in a way which allows a cut and paste, with a bit of tidying up on top, rather than a mass rewrite of 150 hotel names!

This was always one of the more intriguing dilemmas I ever came across though. Imagine you have a PDF list of 150 hotel names. Someone has retyped it already into normal text for online use. You COULD spend an hour retyping it yourself but the end result would be IDENTICAL to the list the someone else has already retyped and put online. No-one would be able to tell whether you had retyped it or cut and pasted. So what, realistically, do you do?
Depends on whether you respect IP. If so, you don't steal work. If you are a blogger, otoh....you cut and paste and HT, as if that is fair compensation for stealing IP...
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam1222
People who are misled by bloggers tend to come to Flyertalk when they realize their dream of using 240000 flibbits to travel the world for free in business class on December 24 isn't so easy in reality, and this community then deals with trying to clean it up.

Just because no one has enforced consumer protection laws against Gary or other bloggers doesn't mean they aren't violating them; just because enforcement action isn't taken doesn't mean its right; "legalese" like that on these blogs probably isn't of much "legal" value. Compliance departments at financial service providers focus on risk of enforcement action, not best practices for complying with the law.

There are also a number of factors (i.e., political), that cause low levels of enforcement. This particular blogger indeed plays an active role in fighting against active government regulation and enforcement of consumer and other laws.
I don't disagree with what you're saying. I'm just saying that maybe there hasn't been much wrist slapping because not many have complained (as they probably should).

Anyway, some of the entries/content/posts people refer to here in the blogs are over my head ATM... but something tells me I shouldn't bother reading them anytime soon in order to "get up to snuff".
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I don't disagree with what you're saying. I'm just saying that maybe there hasn't been much wrist slapping because not many have complained (as they probably should).

Anyway, some of the entries/content/posts people refer to here in the blogs are over my head ATM... but something tells me I shouldn't bother reading them anytime soon in order to "get up to snuff".
The problem with complaints about consumer deception is that the people who are being deceived dont know it, and the ones who recognize deception dont get deceived.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I take it that @gleff doesn't post here on FT much? Sorry, I'm out of the loop.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:29 pm

VFTW is cited alongside The Points Guy in a new McKinsey report on airline mileage programs.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/...yalty-programs

Ctrl+F "Exhibit 3"
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:13 am
Suspended

So I take it that @gleff doesn't post here on FT much? Sorry, I'm out of the loop.
He seems to still mine FT a lot for information to use on VFTW, but posts very infrequently on FT in the years since he dropped off TB and got more deeply entwined into the Randy Petersen universe beyond FT.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.