Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Raffles
On that basis, surely writing about credit cards would be more effective? Is there a correlation between wanting to read about drunken cabin crew and wanting to get a new credit card?
Money, sex, and violence are considered selling points by some, in that it can bait in an audience when nothing else is there to do so. [Just ask VFTW's principal and the US President what they thought of the WWF in the 1980s and early 1990s. Perhaps they both sort of loved it for that combination of memes?]

At least half the battle in retail sales is to get the customer in the door (again). Once there, then selling to them becomes a bit easier, right?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Money, sex, and violence are considered selling points by some, in that it can bait in an audience when nothing else is there to do so. [Just ask VFTW's principal and the US President what they thought of the WWF in the 1980s and early 1990s. Perhaps they both sort of loved it for that combination of memes?]

At least half the battle in retail sales is to get the customer in the door (again). Once there, then selling to them becomes a bit easier, right?
True, that's why businesses use those factors even for products and services that aren't inherently "sexy".

Though I'm not sure if VFTW is making a conscious effort or it's just the by-product of his stream-of-consciousness blogging style these days.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
True, that's why businesses use those factors even for products and services that aren't inherently "sexy".

Though I'm not sure if VFTW is making a conscious effort or it's just the by-product of his stream-of-consciousness blogging style these days.
I'm pretty sure VFTW's principal is not unaware of what sells and of what kind of things he found interesting as a 13-year old boy.

I will note that VFTW's principal has commented about "Hulk Hogan" before and that he knew the Hulk Hogan "entrance song". I think that tells us enough, right?

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 29, 2017 at 6:30 am
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
5 over 50

coming up

3 over 75

2 over 100k

and so on...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Gary actually posted a very well done, useful and detailed trip report in Y on the new AA 737 MAX today.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Gary actually posted a very well done, useful and detailed trip report in Y on the new AA 737 MAX today.
You weren't kidding. Well done to my fellow Austinite.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the exception prove the rule?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
"How to Earn Points Faster With Credit Card Category Bonuses"

A day does not go by without, well, selling plastic
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:01 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Selling Plastic???

You mean kinda like over at TBB..."You can support TBB by applying for CREDIT CARDS"

Day in and Day out
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ingy
Selling Plastic???

You mean kinda like over at TBB..."You can support TBB by applying for CREDIT CARDS"

Day in and Day out
I, for one, appreciate the truth in advertising approach rather than pretending that a Post is about helping the reader when it is actually about getting the blogger paid.

YMMV
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ingy
Selling Plastic???

Day in and Day out
It's always a fool's errand to try reasoning but 1 line in a substantive post that explicitly notes a revenue mechanism is quite different from a post that masquerades as content but is really advertising.
If blogs had original content and then concluded saying "By the way, if you apply for a credit card at this link, i'd get some money," I don't think anyone here would be criticizing.
josephstern and spamman808 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also interesting that Ingy comes out of hibernation for this comment. Maybe Gary is selling to IB?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
VFTW: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....s-really-like/
is a striking contrast to
Airwaysmag: https://airwaysmag.com/special-fligh...flight-photos/

The latter has far more disclosure.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just got an email from Gary asking what I meant with far more disclosure.

VFTW: " I booked myself onto American’s inaugural Boeing 737 MAX 8 this morning from Miami to New York LaGuardia to see what it was like up close and personal. "
AM: " When I was offered the opportunity to be part of the inaugural I was undeniably very excited."

VFTW:" I did get to board the plane early to take photos. "
AM:" Before the boarding commenced, media representatives were given the opportunity to take a look inside the aircraft and take a few pictures."

With striking contrast I meant more details other than photos of seats and lavs. Hope this clarifies it
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just got an email from Gary asking what I meant with far more disclosure.

VFTW: " I booked myself onto American’s inaugural Boeing 737 MAX 8 this morning from Miami to New York LaGuardia to see what it was like up close and personal. "
AM: " When I was offered the opportunity to be part of the inaugural I was undeniably very excited."

VFTW:" I did get to board the plane early to take photos. "
AM:" Before the boarding commenced, media representatives were given the opportunity to take a look inside the aircraft and take a few pictures."

With striking contrast I meant more details other than photos of seats and lavs. Hope this clarifies it
We both know that miles/points bloggers -- not so different than some set of FT personalities who may or may not be miles/points bloggers -- are groomed by the organized powers that be in the travel space. Whether it's made explicitly clear by all or not, we both know that not all beneficiaries granted official/corporate favors of sort do a great job of disclosing the relationship related to the content which they supply/control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.