Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Calling yourself a thought leader is like putting on your Tinder profile, "Hay everybody, I'm really, really good in bed; trust meeeeeee".
What does he have on his Tinder profile, the thought leader of online dating? Didn't VFTW cover making airline miles/points from getting in on the online dating industry? Talk about diversification.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:57 am

Based on the last half dozen or so posts VFTW has become the TMZ of travel blogging.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EP
Lol. And he is taking allot of heat for today's thought leadership...err copying a post from FT

Originally Posted by JetAway
Based on the last half dozen or so posts VFTW has become the TMZ of travel blogging.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
A new low in garbage posts, with a post making out homeless families in New York as some subhuman threat because they are staying in the Radisson JFK - a hotel Gary would never be caught dead in. Ironically, he suggests its about disclosure - ironic given his position on BoardingArea - a disclosure-free zone full of amoral conflicted "advice" and marketing.

The worst line: "“The moral question of housing them alongside hotel guests is a challenging one.”

No, the moral questions are:
-homelessness
- the continued existence of Gary's blog
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
A new low in garbage posts, with a post making out homeless families in New York as some subhuman threat because they are staying in the Radisson JFK - a hotel Gary would never be caught dead in. Ironically, he suggests its about disclosure - ironic given his position on BoardingArea - a disclosure-free zone full of amoral conflicted "advice" and marketing.

The worst line: "“The moral question of housing them alongside hotel guests is a challenging one.”

No, the moral questions are:
-homelessness
- the continued existence of Gary's blog
Just when you think he can't sink any lower
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I don't read travel blogs but i saw the post here in this thread about the homeless story and had to look, the same way one might rubberneck at an accident or stare
at a train wreck.

This sounds like the blogger equivalent of drunk texting however.

Perhaps this Council member ought to have the city teach the homeless to sign up for credit cards and use the bonuses to stay at Marriotts. Or pick up an Amtrak credit card, book a sleeper car with the points ...
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Roflmao, Gary Leff wants the solar eclipse to GET OFF HIS LAWN!!!

Crotchety old man at 44.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Crotchety old man at 44.
He might want to move away from Austin before April 2024 then. Another total solar eclipse will be coming right through Austin and much of Texas then .
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Crotchety old man at 44.
Amazingly, the "thought leader" didn't think far enough ahead to realize that his post had to prompt this comment: "There’s nothing new about the chase sapphire card, but yet we get a post every month rehashing the same benefits".

Mr. Pot got to meet Mr. Kettle.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Just when you think he can't sink any lower
My explanation about why the homeless story was tacky and reflected stereotypes about homeless people got me blocked on Twitter by Gary. I guess I'll have to find other ways to keep up on Libertarians posting about every customer claiming they got kicked off a flight and did absolutely nothing wrong, and sex stories.

It takes a real man to block substantive criticism to things they post on the internet.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 21, 2017 at 6:04 am
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:49 pm
Suspended

My explanation about why the homeless story was tacky and reflected stereotypes about homeless people got me blocked on Twitter by Gary.
Who could blame him?
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It takes a real man to block substantive criticism to things they post on the internet.
Maybe it's not substantive criticism that resulted in the block.

I've been critical of some of the items on VFTW and it hasn't resulted in me being blocked.

Sounds like there is more to the story.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Maybe it's not substantive criticism that resulted in the block.

I've been critical of some of the items on VFTW and it hasn't resulted in me being blocked.

Sounds like there is more to the story.
I've been critical as well. But I'm happy to share the offending tweets so the blog apologists can continue to apologize:

"I have worked with dozens of homeless families. They are no greater risk to you than any other unknown guest. To suggest that their presence creates a "right to know" is wrong and harmful. To suggest *that* is the moral question associated with homelessness is shameful To use it as clickbait for a blog that engages in amoral marketing tactics is revolting. To be blunt, homeless NY families have just as much interest in staying at the Radisson JFK as elitist bloggers like @garyleff do. We often pretend the miles & points hobby has no connection to the rest of the world. Travel should expand your perspective, not narrow it."

I'm not surprised that there are people on here who support media figures blocking people with different views about the things they publicly say. It's a view not uncommon in America today, after all. But I think you have to have a thicker skin. A writer would want his ideas going out to people who may not agree with him.

To me, a media figure who uses his or her Twitter account for "professional" purposes should only block viewers if they are engaging in regular trolling or abusive behavior. This may have been the 3rd or 4th time in as many years I've had any interaction with him on Twitter, on a post many people were criticizing him for.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 26, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My explanation about why the homeless story was tacky and reflected stereotypes about homeless people got me blocked on Twitter by Gary.
If it makes you feel better, he blocked me on Facebook for criticizing his clickbait titles.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:10 pm

Lovely , Today the thought leader in libertarian travel bloggers obsessed with butts and sex used the occasion of Labor Day to bash a union. Such a classy guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.