Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by KEnsor
Saw Garys tweet this morning "Marriott hoping to back out of the Starwood Merger" then he does on to say at the end of the article "Theres little to suggest a similar fate for Marriott-SPG" in reference to United/US Airways merger not happening.

I thought that was some serious click bait. Am I wrong here? Feel like the headline is way over exaggerated. Or maybe Im just hangover and should have read the article again.
I'll disagree with you on this one. He analyzed an article from the NY Post, and goes through the exercise of developing reasons why the merger would continue on the current path. Actually consider the posting fairly well written.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Craig6z
an article from the NY Post
The real pros of clickbait articles .
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
NYPost is the grandmother of clickbait

Yeah I wouldn't consider it clickbait as the post title did begin with "Report:..." which seemed clear that it would be about a single report of the alleged buyer's remorse.

I'd love for the SPG merger to not go through but I'd be surprised if it doesn't at this point. Not that I have any expertise but just the fact that it's gotten this far down the path.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton/Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Craig6z
I'll disagree with you on this one. He analyzed an article from the NY Post, and goes through the exercise of developing reasons why the merger would continue on the current path. Actually consider the posting fairly well written.
Typically, I'm a fan of Gary's articles for the most part and yes it was well written. I suppose the title got my hopes up about the merger then after Reading it and he's pretty much telling me the mergers happening so I was disappointed.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I read the same article and did not take away that there is anywhere close to a high chance the merger won't go through.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Momondo

VFTW is really pushing Momondo in a lot of his posts. Anyone know how their affiliate program works?

Example:
http://track.webgains.com/click.html...programid=8613
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Momondo passes on a percentage of the affiliate commissions that they make from sites they refer to.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Momondo passes on a percentage of the affiliate commissions that they make from sites they refer to.
In one of the comments, Gary claimed he got 50 cents for each booking through the link, FWIW.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
In one of the comments, Gary claimed he got 50 cents for each booking through the link, FWIW.
This would be hard to believe. Don't they work on a % of the booking?

In my experience the site does not work nearly as well as competing sites. Would he really sell out his readers for a few dimes?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stackm
This would be hard to believe. Don't they work on a % of the booking?
It might be simply that the percentage is low and averages out to 50 cents.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Makes sense on average. Probably variable based on where Momondo finds the lowest fare and what that site pays Momondo.

But it's definitely based on a percentage of the affiliate revenue that Momondo makes off the click.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:11 pm

In my experience the site does not work nearly as well as competing sites.
Namely?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
In my experience the site does not work nearly as well as competing sites. Would he really sell out his readers for a few dimes?
Lol that isn't a real question, is it? :P
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
VFTW is recycling his buddy OMAAT's click-bait with today's "Man Arrested After Overuse of Priority Pass Lounge Access". Of course, the guy was arrested for forgery - having created fake BPs - not for using his Priority Pass too much.

But hey he was sure to "hat tip" OMAAT!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:50 pm

So Gary has never had high-end sushi in Tokyo, apparently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.