Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Hopefully after reading these posts he will up his game! ^
Right. You won't believe what happens next!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Really? Why? People post in spurts on FT all the time.
Of course. But people here aren't concerned with page views and revenue generation. Or staying atop the BA home page.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JetAway
I used to enjoy his trip reports a lot, before he changed his format, moved to Austin and became a thought leader. Likewise some of his food & restaurant pieces. Not much of any of that any more.
Too much barbecue here probably .
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nsx
There's such as thing as eating your seed corn. VFTW has brand value, and he's diminishing that value foolishly IMHO. Better to forego revenue today and keep the quality up for the long run.

OTOH, I would have written exactly the same thing before all the credit card pimping began. So what do I know?
Maybe he doesn't believe that investing his time in VFTW is worth what it used to be? Or maybe there just isn't so much game left in the game that it's worth the time as much as the alternatives?

Unless in the game for "fame", isn't it about being in the game to grow a little fortune or at least not squander it away?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Too much barbecue here probably .
I enjoyed his barbecue reviews. We now have a new Texas Hill Country-style barbecue place in Arlington (VA)-Texas Jack's. Hope he gets back and has a chance to review it sometime.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised no one took exception to his password advice.

I sure do.

If you have a password manager, you don't do that nonsense with 'spg' at the end of the password. You make a strong, random password via your manager that has nothing in common with any other password.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm surprised no one took exception to his password advice.

I sure do.
If you're getting your password advice from the Thought Leader in Travel, you've got bigger issues.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Huh. Now Gary's back to pimping Alaska miles too.

Didn't he and Ben just get caught on margin calls with Alaska miles for their award booking clients when EK went tits up overnight?

I'd post the 'SHAME' gif but that's a foreign word when there is affiliate $$ on the table.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Didn't he and Ben just get caught on margin calls with Alaska miles for their award booking clients when EK went tits up overnight?

I'd post the 'SHAME' gif but that's a foreign word when there is affiliate $$ on the table.
Not only that, but both he and Ben got caught posting incorrect information regarding the end of phone booking fees at American. I thought these guys had sources!

Apparently as good as my sources. . .
Old May 6, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then yesterday/today he and Ben basically both tried to browbeat AS down over what was honestly a clear error on the CX intra-Asia chart.

And when in the history of this forum, or "the hobby" has anyone here EVER taken one airline employee at their word on anything? Front line employees are notorious purveyors of wrong information, that's why this forum exists! Yet everyone, particularly Gary, runs with it as though the world was ending.

The rhetoric from both of them on Twitter to AS is so dripping with self-importance that you could probably stock the newly flowing Self-Importance River with bass and fish in it.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Then yesterday/today he and Ben basically both tried to browbeat AS down over what was honestly a clear error on the CX intra-Asia chart.

And when in the history of this forum, or "the hobby" has anyone here EVER taken one airline employee at their word on anything? Front line employees are notorious purveyors of wrong information, that's why this forum exists! Yet everyone, particularly Gary, runs with it as though the world was ending.

The rhetoric from both of them on Twitter to AS is so dripping with self-importance that you could probably stock the newly flowing Self-Importance River with bass and fish in it.
The key for me with both of them on this subject: their vaunted sources and connections were front-line employees and the AS Twitter account. In other words, the same kind of sources that anybody, including tons of folks who aren't frequent flyers, could have used.

The value added by these two shrinks every day.
Old May 7, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys are missing the point.

There was published information.

That allowed for a post.

Then it was contradicted.

That allowed for another post.

There may be more.

Anything for a post, no matter how insignificant. This is Gary we're talking about.

Post post post!
Old May 7, 2016, 10:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Post hic, post haec, post hoc.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Often Flyer Talk comments are less sophisticated than the blog that's being commented on. That's irony for you, I guess, especially since many of the commenters themselves don't even realize their own limitations. Sometimes I just have to laugh.

But here it's different. A lot different. You commenters are way more sophisticated than the blog. A nice metaphor that works (the bass fishing line); actual Latin declention (nominative, three genders). I'm impressed!

I still follow the blog for its AA coverage, which is still good. The rest? I'm gradually just tuning out. Too much static.
Old May 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Often Flyer Talk comments are less sophisticated than the blog that's being commented on. That's irony for you, I guess, especially since many of the commenters themselves don't even realize their own limitations. Sometimes I just have to laugh.

But here it's different. A lot different. You commenters are way more sophisticated than the blog. A nice metaphor that works (the bass fishing line); actual Latin declention (nominative, three genders). I'm impressed!

I still follow the blog for its AA coverage, which is still good. The rest? I'm gradually just tuning out. Too much static.
By sadly, there are always new people learning about what was once the miles and points game and is now just a shadow of its former self, but to them it's new horizons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.