Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:40 am
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Today I've finally had it and deleted my RSS subscription to VFTW.

I am guessing that with the banks cracking down, Gary is trying to position himself to be somewhat of an aviation/business consultant, but I am not buying it. With 7 posts a day, the quality inevitably had to drop. Feels like I read about the same deal on 10 different blogs now and Gary's only original content is his obsession with the TSA.

So anyway, good luck to Gary, but I am out. Same goes for FTG and TPG and in the next few weeks I will look for a few more blogs to cut out of my routine.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by WAS
Today I've finally had it and deleted my RSS subscription to VFTW.

I am guessing that with the banks cracking down, Gary is trying to position himself to be somewhat of an aviation/business consultant, but I am not buying it. With 7 posts a day, the quality inevitably had to drop. Feels like I read about the same deal on 10 different blogs now and Gary's only original content is his obsession with the TSA.

So anyway, good luck to Gary, but I am out. Same goes for FTG and TPG and in the next few weeks I will look for a few more blogs to cut out of my routine.
His 'the best x, y, z' series does feel like a repositioning. As did the 'thought leader' rebranding. And now he talks a lot bout keynote speaking at travel industry events. You may be on to something.

But at the same time he's still pumping the hell out of cards post after post.

Best of both worlds?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:33 pm

Gary does not post on FlyerTalk anymore (although he reads it, including this forum, very regularly).

So when he wants to comment on a FlyerTalk thread he has to make it a blog post.

I guess that's a win/win. He comments on the thread (on his blog) and gets a blog post out of it, and he drives traffic to FlyerTalk from his blog.

But if the rest of us want to know what the thought leader thinks about the thoughts that non-thought leaders post on FlyerTalk they have to think about the thought leader and visit the thought leader's blog.

Doesn't seem very thought-leadery.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-airlines-for/
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Gary does not post on FlyerTalk anymore (although he reads it, including this forum, very regularly).

So when he wants to comment on a FlyerTalk thread he has to make it a blog post.

I guess that's a win/win. He comments on the thread (on his blog) and gets a blog post out of it, and he drives traffic to FlyerTalk from his blog.

But if the rest of us want to know what the thought leader thinks about the thoughts that non-thought leaders post on FlyerTalk they have to think about the thought leader and visit the thought leader's blog.

Doesn't seem very thought-leadery.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-airlines-for/
Yeah, I always thought he's missing out by not at least posting a drive-by FT comment to drive folks more directly to the blog. But what do I know, as a lowly non-thought-leader?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nsx
ec, they stopped posting anywhere on FT years before this forum was created. And for what it's worth I like both of them.
Gary Leff is probably on this board more days than he is not, and I bet the other referred to individual is also on here more days in a year than not.

Gary Leff has posted to FT within the past ten months.

I find the VFTW's AEI ideological bias against pro-consumer legislation and anti-trust/competition law so amusing in how it colors the VFTW's criticism of what the transition from a US6/7 to a US3 airline industry has meant for consumers. The anti-American consumer "Airlines For America" lobbying group must be loving it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 16, 2015 at 6:23 am
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Being The Thought Leader on points and miles blogs, etc., I accept and even embrace that some will be snarky about me like you just were. It comes with the territory. ^

After all, Thought Leaders know we will suffer the slings and arrows of our envious lessers.
Maybe we can help the good fellow improve his bio:

"Gary Leff is one of the foremost experts in the field of miles, points, and frequent business traveler a topic he has covered since 2002."

A grammatical revision doesn't require one of the foremost experts in the field of English grammar.

While I still enjoy VFTW a bit, it used to be more valuable for me than it has become. If VFTW's demise takes place and its content supplier migrates back to supplying content to FT, what would that mean/mark?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 16, 2015 at 4:41 pm
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Maybe we can help the good fellow improve his bio:

"Gary Leff is one of the foremost experts in the field of miles, points, and frequent business traveler a topic he has covered since 2002."

A grammatical revision doesn't require one of the foremost experts in the field of English grammar.

While I still enjoy VFTW a bit, it used to be more valuable for me than it has become. If VFTW's demise takes place and its content supplier migrates back to supplying content to FT, what would that mean/mark?
This Thought Leader finds TWO grammatical errors in that Thought Leader's bio.

I'm going to have to consult with the Thought Leaders Council with regard to how this might impact the ranks of The Hall of Thought Leaderdom.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:15 am

He's updated his blog info:

In addition to blogging about his miles and points obsession, he co-founded Milepoint.com, a place for frequent flyers to meet and learn using the latest technology. Rolling Stone called him “The godfather of the [frequent flyer] hobby.”

Last edited by Astrophsx; Jul 18, 2015 at 2:50 am
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

In addition to blogging about his miles and points obsession, he co-founded Milepoint.com, a place for frequent flyers to meet and learn using the latest technology. Rolling Stone called him “The godfather of the [frequent flyer] hobby.”
See, the Thought Leader in Points and Miles Blogs, etc. TOLD you he reads this forum regularly. @:-)^

Although the Thought Leader in P&MB would point out that it was Ben who called The Thought Leader in Travel 'the godfather' in Rolling Stone. RS did not call him that:

Last edited by kokonutz; Jul 18, 2015 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:42 am

Gary Leff is 40?!? Sad to say I don't believe there is any chance of a trip report featuring a gym anytime soon. I saw a clip of him on Fox news and thought he looked like he was in his mid-50's with all that weight he has put on. The Points Guy has also put on a decent amount, but not as much as Gary.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:48 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Gaining weight is an under reported hazard of travel. I really want to see Ben's post explaining how he stays in shape. Alcohol has calories too!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:56 pm

In addition to blogging about his miles and points obsession, he co-founded Milepoint.com, a place for frequent flyers to meet and learn using the latest technology. Rolling Stone called him The godfather of the [frequent flyer] hobby.
The Thought Leader in Points and Miles Blogs has led the Thought Leader in Travel yet again:

You're welcome, Gary!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Gary Leff is 40?!? Sad to say I don't believe there is any chance of a trip report featuring a gym anytime soon. I saw a clip of him on Fox news and thought he looked like he was in his mid-50's with all that weight he has put on. The Points Guy has also put on a decent amount, but not as much as Gary.
I would like to thank you for exquisitely proving my point about much of this forum being way too interested in being personal and dishing out snark. Only took 13 posts and a little over a day to see it in once again this thread, but hey, I knew someone could deliver the goods. Fat jokes, always the sign of enlightened intellectual criticism.

Now do people think I'm cherry-picking?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 18, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I would like to thank you for exquisitely proving my point about much of this forum being way too interested in being personal and dishing out snark. Only took 13 posts and a little over a day to see it in once again this thread, but hey, I knew someone could deliver the goods. Fat jokes, always the sign of enlightened intellectual criticism.

Now do people think I'm cherry-picking?
Do you have a recommend forum to discuss the negative aspects of this lifestyle? I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that this amount of flying, boozing, and a diet of sundaes/cookies/processed snacks will age you...

Most first class passengers look like they may collapse from a heart attack at any moment. At least VFTW looks decent in a pajama selfie.

With so much overlap of content on Boarding Area it is surprising no one discusses the health issues of flying 100000+ miles a year.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Gaining weight is an under reported hazard of travel. I really want to see Ben's post explaining how he stays in shape. Alcohol has calories too!
Ben is quite young compared to the other popular bloggers. Also, I assume unless you are highly motivated it is quite difficult to stay in shape while traveling that often. Out of the 500 blogs on BA I'm shocked that there isn't a business traveler who runs a blog featured there that could give people tips on how to stay in shape while traveling for business and how to make healthy eating choices with limited choices available at a hotel. If Gary did this I would think many readers would benefit from this information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.