Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Old Apr 25, 14, 4:11 am
  #106  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 31,722
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Looks like they (AA) got to Ed too.

Anyone read pizzainmotion? http://pizzainmotion.com/2014/04/24/...ecent-changes/

dh
I like Ed, but I certainly can't agree with his conclusion, "In short, the AAdvantage folks are still there, still listening, and still improving".

These type of actions from AA remind me too much of how things radically changed when NW and DL merged. I can guarantee that this isn't the last devaluation we'll see from them. For Ms. Rubin to think that FF's wouldn't be upset with the changes is unbelievable.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 4:50 am
  #107  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 98,588
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I like Ed, but I certainly can't agree with his conclusion, "In short, the AAdvantage folks are still there, still listening, and still improving".

These type of actions from AA remind me too much of how things radically changed when NW and DL merged. I can guarantee that this isn't the last devaluation we'll see from them. For Ms. Rubin to think that FF's wouldn't be upset with the changes is unbelievable.
I too found it unbelievable at first but then I thought about it more and a bit differently. Now, I don't find it unbelievable that Rubin expected way less and less concentrated criticism of the changes that hit this month. Keep in mind that she knows AA got away with major reductions in MileSAAver space on AA metal last year without giving any notice (advance or otherwise) and that restriction on MileSAAver space was barely noticed and didn't even generate massive and concentrated complaints despite it being a change that hits far more AA customers. Like with criminals, once they get away with it, they are less reluctant to try again. The worst is almost certainly yet to come.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 6:00 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SEA
Posts: 3,679
Groupthink is alive and well.
PWMTrav is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 8:40 am
  #109  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Posts: 20,863
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
But fighting for disclosure that doesn't get filtered or disappeared by the "managed" because a supplier (or their legal team) wants it disappeared or is "concerned"/"fearful" (of who knows what) is far from a lost cause.
Example: Prior to the announcement of the revenue-based Rapid Rewards, which Southwest had told everyone was coming soon, I asked Gary Kelly in person not to sugar coat the announcement but to tell it straight, good and bad. That advice was ignored. Yet when Southwest announced a devaluation of points about 8 months ago, the email announcing the change was a model of straight talk. That made it much the bad news easier to swallow. Perhaps Southwest has learned, or maybe it's just a question of which executive is deciding on the wording.
nsx is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 10:05 am
  #110  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 4,329
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
mAAsacre was the term was used to reference AA's elimination of redemption opportunities.
And some commenters are still calling me out for coining that term. Listen, in this space you are darned if you do and darned if you don't.

I get that perhaps the stopover loophole was being exploited and needed to be shutdown without warning. Being able to change 2 peak awards that would cost 52.5K into a single 20K off-peak award with a 6 month stopover was just ridiculous. Though it would have been nice to still allow stopovers of up to a week or 2.

But taking away the OneWorld chart without warning? Plenty of folks were saving up for that and to not even allow a short grace period is arguably worse than the UA changes which were at least done with several months warning.


Suzanne is shocked that people are mad over overnight wholesale changes? And that they spun their emails to only report the "good".
is all I can say because there is no vomiting emoticon.
ctownflyer is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 10:14 am
  #111  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA
Posts: 55,385
It's neat that these guys are rubbing shoulders with the program managers.

But it does appear to cloud their judgement.

USdbaAA has taken the first step on the COdbaUA and DLdbaDL path.

Doug Parker doesn't give a crap about what Suzanne Rubin thinks about the future of AA or AAdvantage unless Suzanne thinks AA ought to monetize every interaction and moment that a customer touches AA and that AAdvantage needs to increase revenue while devaluing liabilities (miles and benefits).

So it's great that Rubin sought out Ed to chat. I'm sure it made him feel very special. And it's great that she 'owns' the feedback from customers. BUT:

Some will say that my bias to American Airlines is clouding my judgment, but I think Suzanne’s track record on communication stands on it’s own. I’m still cautious about the leadership in other areas of American, due mostly to the thought patterns exhibited by Doug and Scott Kirby during their days at US Airways.

In short, the AAdvantage folks are still there, still listening, and still improving.
Some will say that, yes. And they will be correct.

Because AAdvantage will be 'improving.' But not for customers. Only for AA and its bottom line.

Last edited by kokonutz; Apr 25, 14 at 10:38 am
kokonutz is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 10:49 am
  #112  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SEA
Posts: 3,679
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Because AAdvantage will be 'improving.' But not for customers. Only for AA and its bottom line.
It's a double edged sword for me - I'm both a bottom tier elite and a stockholder (pre-merger, both airlines). On one hand, I love how US treated its 25k tier - better than any other airline, and Doug Parker was running that one too. On the other hand, I probably see more in my portfolio the more the "new" AA moves away from the old "AA" - after all, both airlines went bankrupt, so something had to change.

FWIW, I ignore the blog "analysis" now, and instead expect the worst and plan for it. Earn and burn. I'm not worried about elite requalifying on AA/US, either. I'll take one last shot at the elite game, I matched out to AS. The plan now is to requalify as AS MVP until they significantly cut benefits. Then I'll just fly the lowest fare and use credit card earned miles for premium cabins when warranted.
PWMTrav is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 12:00 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,660
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I like Ed, but I certainly can't agree with his conclusion, "In short, the AAdvantage folks are still there, still listening, and still improving".

These type of actions from AA remind me too much of how things radically changed when NW and DL merged. I can guarantee that this isn't the last devaluation we'll see from them. For Ms. Rubin to think that FF's wouldn't be upset with the changes is unbelievable.
I agree with you... in any case, the proof will be in the pudding. I don't know how anyone can conclude that the AAdvantage folks are "still improving" when AAdvantage hasn't produced any concrete public evidence of either actual improvements or at the least, better management and rollout of devaluations. In fact "still" improving seems to imply some improvement has been happening in the past, and that's a joke.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post

FWIW, I ignore the blog "analysis" now, and instead expect the worst and plan for it. Earn and burn. I'm not worried about elite requalifying on AA/US, either. I'll take one last shot at the elite game, I matched out to AS. The plan now is to requalify as AS MVP until they significantly cut benefits. Then I'll just fly the lowest fare and use credit card earned miles for premium cabins when warranted.
Good way to look at things...and generally this is kind of my approach right now too
84fiero is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 1:13 pm
  #114  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Posts: 20,863
Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
Then I'll just fly the lowest fare and use credit card earned miles for premium cabins when warranted.
I've been doing exactly that for 15 years. I commute weekly on Southwest and I spend only about $6000 per year total on air tickets.
nsx is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 1:24 pm
  #115  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA
Posts: 55,385
Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
It's a double edged sword for me - I'm both a bottom tier elite and a stockholder (pre-merger, both airlines). On one hand, I love how US treated its 25k tier - better than any other airline, and Doug Parker was running that one too. On the other hand, I probably see more in my portfolio the more the "new" AA moves away from the old "AA" - after all, both airlines went bankrupt, so something had to change.

FWIW, I ignore the blog "analysis" now, and instead expect the worst and plan for it. Earn and burn. I'm not worried about elite requalifying on AA/US, either. I'll take one last shot at the elite game, I matched out to AS. The plan now is to requalify as AS MVP until they significantly cut benefits. Then I'll just fly the lowest fare and use credit card earned miles for premium cabins when warranted.
I've owned airline stock twice. Both times the airline went into bankruptcy and my investment was lost.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times, no sirree!


BTW, FWIW, looks like Gary is gnashing his teeth over having accepted a comped elite status from Hilton. Which reminds me of that old joke with the punchline: 'We've established what you are, madam, now we are haggling over the price'
kokonutz is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 2:18 pm
  #116  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 31,811
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
'We've established what you are, madam, now we are haggling over the price'
Unfair. I have personally witnessed Gary turning down offers because he does not want to be beholden to any brand. He's very stringent about this. That's why he gives away 100% of what he is gifted on his blog, and he makes that very clear to providers. His integrity is very high on this point.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 4:26 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SEA
Posts: 3,679
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Unfair. I have personally witnessed Gary turning down offers because he does not want to be beholden to any brand. He's very stringent about this. That's why he gives away 100% of what he is gifted on his blog, and he makes that very clear to providers. His integrity is very high on this point.
Right, but some might argue that integrity also includes not helping an airline gain good publicity by giving their stuff away right after they devalued their program. It could include not generating positive buzz for a brand when many of his readers are unhappy about the way those changes were communicated and implemented.
PWMTrav is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 4:26 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SEA
Posts: 3,679
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I've owned airline stock twice. Both times the airline went into bankruptcy and my investment was lost.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times, no sirree!


BTW, FWIW, looks like Gary is gnashing his teeth over having accepted a comped elite status from Hilton. Which reminds me of that old joke with the punchline: 'We've established what you are, madam, now we are haggling over the price'
Don't worry, it's not a long term holding
PWMTrav is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 7:54 pm
  #119  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA
Posts: 55,385
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Unfair. I have personally witnessed Gary turning down offers because he does not want to be beholden to any brand. He's very stringent about this. That's why he gives away 100% of what he is gifted on his blog, and he makes that very clear to providers. His integrity is very high on this point.
I dunno. He TOOK the gold.

But then I suppose he DID feel guilty about it and confessed, taking his penance in his comments section.

The catholic in me wants to absolve him.
kokonutz is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 8:09 pm
  #120  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 31,811
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
He TOOK the gold.
Hilton imposed the gold on him. He had no part in that action. Today, he asked Hilton to return him to silver. They have done so.
SanDiego1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread