Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:28 am

If you stopped visiting how do you know what type of content is there?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mikex163
If you stopped visiting how do you know what type of content is there?
Insert the word "regularly" if you prefer. Just out of curiosity, I had a look just now, first time in months. Still no content of value on the front page. Mostly credit card sales.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 4:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 'content' is broadly 3 categories (in order of frequency):
- (hourly) latest CC offers
- (daily) pertinent news (of varying quality) rewritten and posted, curiously at roughly the same time as OMAAT
- (weekly) commentary on AA policy and strategic direction
- (very rare) trip reports focussing on the mismatch of expectations that cannot be expressed in a tweet
Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You left out VFTW’s Club for Growth talking points.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:20 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Blogger Fight! Which blogger's miles valuations are right?

How TPG Updates Their Mileage Valuations

First, here are the values they come up with.

• American moves up from 1.4 to 1.68 cents (I value AAdvantage miles at 1.3 cents)
  • Delta moves up from 1.1 to 1.48 cents (I value Delta miles at 1 cent)
  • United moves down from 1.3 to 1.13 cents (I value United miles at 1.3 cents)
They took “the lowest cash and award prices for a seven-day, Thursday to Thursday round-trip itinerary..for each week and on each route over the three-month period.”

They excluded basic economy fares (redemption tickets on airlines other than Delta are always more flexible, but this means comparing to higher fares and getting a higher points value). They weighted their data 20% business class, 80% economy. And they look at roundtrip itineraries versus one way (with American and Delta this would seem to bias towards higher valuations since roundtrip awards can cost fewer miles).
https://viewfromthewing.com/why-the-...alue-of-miles/

Not even sure they're accounting for international premium awards, which is what FTers value. Could not care less about the availability and price of Orlando to Cincinnati flights on a Tuesday or whatever.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by exp
Not even sure they're accounting for international premium awards, which is what FTers value.
That probably should read: "...which is what some prolific FT posters value."
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Anything that comes from TPG is 100% designed to keep their bank paymasters happy.

Rather than rely on random blogger valuations, you should focus on the award regions you are likely to want to book and choose the ffp that wants the fewest miles / surcharges. Comparing to a cash fare you would never pay is just delusional.

If you are desperate for cents per mile, get a cashback credit card and book paid fares.
The_Diamond_Z and sonofzeus like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 2:00 pm
Original Member

The value of miles depends on how you use them. I have written an article on how to compute this. Go to my website, then click on Value of Miles in the left menu.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
That probably should read: "...which is what some prolific FT posters value."
I get my highest returns for airline program rebate currency when redeeming for economy class short and mid-haul flights.

But in this age of "look at me" characters, the money for bloggers -- much like the "fame" for some other characters -- comes from the use of "aspirational awards" to publicly or privately grab referral bonuses from peddling bank cards. So it's no surprise that they peddle "look at this amazing property/flight" rather than something that doesn't grab an audience's attention in such a way as to generate those card referral bonuses.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:57 pm
exp
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I get my highest returns for airline program rebate currency when redeeming for economy class short and mid-haul flights.

But in this age of "look at me" characters, the money for bloggers -- much like the "fame" for some other characters -- comes from the use of "aspirational awards" to publicly or privately grab referral bonuses from peddling bank cards. So it's no surprise that they peddle "look at this amazing property/flight" rather than something that doesn't grab an audience's attention in such a way as to generate those card referral bonuses.
Here's more about the tradeoffs of low-priced international business class awards.

https://viewfromthewing.com/the-trad...class-tickets/

The routing adds more than 3-5 hours. I've been checking both UA and AA in the last couple of days. How about 17 hours in Vancouver or similar number of hours in Tokyo? You might have a chance to check into a hotel and walk around a couple of hours, get a couple of meals.

But you have to spend at least $300 for that long layover.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:07 pm
exp
Suspended

Leff does another take on the valuations.

https://viewfromthewing.com/recalcul...les-are-worth/

Thinks TPG isn't accounting for the *A awards that MP miles can redeem, particularly the LH, Turkish and NH awards.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget that all of these blogs make money off credit card signups that come with bonus miles/points typically. So they have an incentive to inflate the value of said points to make the cards they hawk look more attractive.

I never find points to be worth what pretty much any bloggers says. Sure, 10% of the time my points might be used in a way where they're worth 3x the listed value, but generally, I find AA/DL/UA/AS points to be worth about a cent apiece - not these crazy numbers these bloggers like to flash around.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:54 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>Don't forget that all of these blogs make money off credit card signups that come with bonus miles/points typically.

Do NOT waste any time looking, let alone reading, such valuation posts for the reason stated.

This is a highly individualized subjective endeavor. Spend them as you wish, you earned them.

Let's move on.

Let's address more serious things, such as identifying the ghost writer who pumps these up for the two blogs:

VFTW: Flight Attendant Faked A Marriage Proposal Inflight. It Was Just The Credit Card Pitch
OMAAT:Spirit Airlines Flight Attendant Fakes Marriage Proposal For Credit Card Pitch

Every day this staffer pumps these up for both blogs...every day.

At least Gary does not insist he writes everything himself lol
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 6:21 am

Quite the obsession you have on whether they have other people writing for them or not. We've heard you the first 1,500 times you mentioned it.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:23 am
exp
Suspended

This is kind of a fun story, Robert DeNiro sues former executive assistant for embezzlement including over 7 million Delta Sky Miles.

https://viewfromthewing.com/robert-d...-cents-apiece/

He overvalues what the allegedly stolen SkyMiles were worth.

But given his reputed net worth, why is he even bothering flying commercial?

Any Delta SM elite ever see DeNiro on a DL flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.