Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
No worries, no snark, he is back in form selling plastic

"7 Reasons You’ll Want the Best-Ever Offer for the IHG Credit Card"
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
[link deactivated]

[link deactivated[

Last edited by LyfeSaver; Sep 1, 2020 at 1:02 am
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Surely you jest. If BArea would exclude VFTW the overall revenue metrics will drop like a stone. Online petition? Write an email to Randy and ask him instead...
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Best way to respond is...not give a click to these blogs.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Snark" .... one of those newly-fashionable words in the miles and points world that are so subjectively applied as to be of questionable worth at times.

Originally Posted by Raffles
Grossing up my own current monthly (much reduced) blog income for Gary's increased readership and far greater US card commission rates (I average about Ł30 vs $200 per card) he should still be banking at least $200,000 per month. I doubt he's struggling too much.
Card approval rates for applicants in the US may have plummeted at a substantially different rate than they have for card applicants in the UK. I do wonder what percentage of VFTW's card applicants are being rejected by the banks. Applying for a card and getting rejected for the card is not good for credit scores and all that it means for the card applicant.

Originally Posted by josephstern
Since we aren't providing him revenue, I'm certain he won't miss us.
Some of the miles and points bloggers get their content by not missing us .... but by following some posters on FT. "Stalking" FT is not as useful as it used to be to get content, but more content = more potential eyeballs = more potential money.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 11, 2020 at 4:12 am
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:42 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Surely you jest. If BArea would exclude VFTW the overall revenue metrics will drop like a stone. Online petition? Write an email to Randy and ask him instead...
Lol.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by LyfeSaver
If you feel like boarding area needs to clean up, then fastest way would be to let people exclude certain blogs. I started a Change.org petition for it.

http://chng.it/mpRxQsXkMZ

I want to go back to loving BoardingArea again without having to worry about horrible bloggers.
The solution to stop “worrying” about “horrible” bloggers is to stop worrying about them and not click on them imo. Just keep scrolling and it’ll be ok.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
The solution to stop “worrying” about “horrible” bloggers is to stop worrying about them and not click on them imo. Just keep scrolling and it’ll be ok.
I haven't read this particular blog in years. But unfortunately bloggers' business model is based on new, inexperienced folks being readers, combined with flooding the internet with "content" that drives theirp to the top of search results. If you know enough to contribute Flyertalk and/or realize Gary's posts are garbage, he wasn't making much money off you anyway.
There is no incentive for Randy to care about quality control, as he has made very clear every six months when he comes onto this board to make spurious, self-serving accusations in a single post, and refuse to engage in any dialogue about his business practices.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Adam1222
But unfortunately bloggers' business model is based on new, inexperienced folks being readers, combined with flooding the internet with "content" that drives theirp to the top of search results.
I think that might vary -- I'm pretty experienced but I read Ben often -- while only occasionally useful in a practical sense, he's good at hitting issues I find interesting. I don't think he's getting cc money from me, but I suppose he's selling my eyeballs, and I'm fine with that. Gary, not so much -- I can't rememeber the last time I went there. I come here just for the gossip and snark.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I think that might vary -- I'm pretty experienced but I read Ben often -- while only occasionally useful in a practical sense, he's good at hitting issues I find interesting. I don't think he's getting cc money from me, but I suppose he's selling my eyeballs, and I'm fine with that. Gary, not so much -- I can't rememeber the last time I went there. I come here just for the gossip and snark.
Right, but you're not giving him the CC money, which is what the business model is based on. I'm not disputing that experienced people *read* the blogs, I'm saying that they are not the ones driving revenue.
bthotugigem05 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Right, but you're not giving him the CC money, which is what the business model is based on. I'm not disputing that experienced people *read* the blogs, I'm saying that they are not the ones driving revenue.
I enjoy reading VFTW often enough, but there is no way I'm providing VFTW any big buck contributions as I'm not in the market for new, blogger-peddled credit/charge cards.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I enjoy reading VFTW often enough, but there is no way I'm providing VFTW any big buck contributions as I'm not in the market for new, blogger-peddled credit/charge cards.
Yes, that's... what I said.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Best way to respond is...not give a click to these blogs.
I always thought the best way to respond would be to write a blog that primarily exists to gossip (buzz?) about other travel blogs, but what do I know?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:17 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by stuck720
I always thought the best way to respond would be to write a blog that primarily exists to gossip (buzz?) about other travel blogs, but what do I know?
Is that what this forum is for?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by stuck720
...primarily exists to gossip (buzz?) about other travel blogs, but what do I know? ...
Apparently, you have not been reading therefore you do not know as much as you think :-)

Of course the moderator took immediate action for off topic posts ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.