Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 6:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by GUWonder
gleff's been in the game long enough that I consider him someone that has a lot more expertise on the miles and points game than most FTers.

I don't read VFTW as often as I used to read it -- but that's because it's become less useful for me. It doesn't mean that its owner is any less of an expert in the area even as the blog is different than it used to be.
I don't think that past relevance is an indicator of current expertise. I acknowledge that Leff has previously helped the community. He was posting about sweet spots in the VS award chart as far back as 2014, and did post some trip reports.

That's long since ended, and has been replaced with his client advocacy. Which, I'll reiterate, he is free to do. There are plenty of folks (Mark Penn immediately comes to mind) who had prior accomplishments, but have become increasing irrelevant to an industry as they haven't contributed anything useful in ages.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I think it’s regretful that Gary (and Ben) abandoned Flyertalk as an active contributor.

I get get why they did it from a business perspective.

But it’s still lamentable. This forum made them what they are: ‘titans’ ‘thought leaders’ whatever.

To me it’s like never hanging out with or even calling your parents. Cat in the cradle and all that.

Lamentable.

Maybe with Milepoint/insideflyer gone they will come back.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I think it’s regretful that Gary (and Ben) abandoned Flyertalk as an active contributor.

I get get why they did it from a business perspective.

But it’s still lamentable. This forum made them what they are: ‘titans’ ‘thought leaders’ whatever.

To me it’s like never hanging out with or even calling your parents. Cat in the cradle and all that.

Lamentable.

Maybe with Milepoint/insideflyer gone they will come back.
Change in parentage of FT means this place isn’t what it used to be for them at least.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, IB owns FT since 2008 (?), which is longer than when it belonged to the HOM (1998--2008). Whatever happened to this site since the change of owners (internally as well as big changes in the external environment) certainly hasn't made it any less attractive.
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:53 am

But I don't really see what more to expect from his mix on topics on VFTW, even as I take issue with some of his positions and with his seemingly default opposition to any and all legal and regulatory efforts to have stronger consumer rights in place and enforced.
Not quite all. Last time I looked, Gary was in favor of government enforcement making airlines honor mistake fares.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader

Not quite all. Last time I looked, Gary was in favor of government enforcement making airlines honor mistake fares.
Is that currently his position when it comes to the US Government? Either way, then it would seem to be a move away from his default orientation.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
" 2 Year Old Bitten By Dog at the Centurion Lounge: Who’s Responsible? "

If only there was SHOCKING video in the headine!

smh
Old May 14, 2019, 11:57 am

Change in parentage of FT means this place isn’t what it used to be for them at least.
Gary chased the opportunity to do business with Randy on his new IBB after Randy's non-compete expired.

That venture failed. It's over

Come home, Gary! Come home!
Old May 14, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader

He mentioned that again recently. I guess his libertarianism is somewhat selective.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:53 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; May 14, 2019 at 9:56 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, IB owns FT since 2008 (?), which is longer than when it belonged to the HOM (1998--2008). Whatever happened to this site since the change of owners (internally as well as big changes in the external environment) certainly hasn't made it any less attractive.
There has been a sort of perverse change leading to increased patronage of FT. Bloggers sell notion of easy/free miles to sell credit cards. People sign up for cards and then realize they can't use their miles so easily, come to FT for advice because the blogs don't provide meaningful advice. If you spend any time in the Info Desk forum, youd see this pattern play out on the regular.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
There has been a sort of perverse change leading to increased patronage of FT. Bloggers sell notion of easy/free miles to sell credit cards. People sign up for cards and then realize they can't use their miles so easily, come to FT for advice because the blogs don't provide meaningful advice. If you spend any time in the Info Desk forum, youd see this pattern play out on the regular.
Gary and Ben both run 'book with points' businesses.

Get paid for selling the dream to the customer then make the customer pay to get the reality. Make money coming and going. Brilliant business plan!!! ^
84fiero likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Award booking is a messy business, the effort required is nowhere close to the return you get selling credit cards.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Award booking is a messy business, the effort required is nowhere close to the return you get selling credit cards.
Yet a number of people do find it worthwhile or else they wouldn't be operating award booking services.

It's not just the CC commissions. The award booking charges are an additional income. Obviously some itineraries will be challenging and time-consuming. Not all will be, though. Judging from some of the posts on FT from folks frustrated trying to book a simple award, who are either inquiring about award bookers or are recommended to use one by FT'ers, I'd bet that there are plenty of relatively simple itineraries that the award booker could do in his sleep.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:59 am
Suspended

Sure, but money coming in is money coming in. And isn't it a money-making time-filler for some?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.