Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Why am I not surprised that VFTW is one of the blogs trying to pump the pathetic new Barclay Arrival Premier like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread? Contrast to Rapid Travel Chai and even some other BA blogs that are more honest about calling it what it is.
I have to wonder when VFTW will just end up another abandoned blog. Maybe when it stops making money from hustling credit cards? Maybe when the blogger thinks it’s making him look bad?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Abandoned? I confess that I don't follow it anymore, but just looking now, Gary posted seven times yesterday. Doesn't seem like he's slowing down any.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Abandoned? I confess that I don't follow it anymore, but just looking now, Gary posted seven times yesterday. Doesn't seem like he's slowing down any.
It's the quality, not the quantity, that has declined dramatically. Lots of cut and paste click bait with a (very) few gems.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAway
It's the quality, not the quantity, that has declined dramatically. Lots of cut and paste click bait with a (very) few gems.
Right - which is why I stopped reading entirely.

I just don't see any signs leading to abandonment here. He's got to be one of the longest running players in this space even if the content has fallen off a cliff.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

I just don't see any signs leading to abandonment here. He's got to be one of the longest running players in this space even if the content has fallen off a cliff.
I think the commenter was using this as an opportunity to criticize those who critique the blog, saying it's successful and thus suggesting we don't have a "right" to criticize its content as immature and deceptive.
But perhaps he was genuine.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that.

It's like considering a person "successful" based on wealth.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I think the commenter was using this as an opportunity to criticize those who critique the blog, saying it's successful and thus suggesting we don't have a "right" to criticize its content as immature and deceptive.
If you are trying to refer to me, you are completely mistaken about me in your above words. As I know myself way better than you too.

“will just end up” is a reference to the future, not the present.

There was a time when VFTW was mostly worthwhile my reading. That time is not now and hasn’t been for some time now. The sooner the credit card issuers and applicants jump off the credit card bandwagon on such blogs, the sooner the blog cemetery may get further populated.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:19 am

Thanks for clarifying! In my original statement I acknowledged I might be wrong. Sometimes people's posts are hard to understand!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:00 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The sooner the credit card issuers and applicants jump off the credit card bandwagon on such blogs, the sooner the blog cemetery may get further populated.
If credit card kickbacks ended tomorrow, the bloggers who do it for fun would remain. Their blogs would become much more valuable to readers than they are now.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by nsx
If credit card kickbacks ended tomorrow, the bloggers who do it for fun would remain. Their blogs would become much more valuable to readers than they are now.
Gary and Ben did this for years with no money and indeed virtually no readers. That doesn't mean they would want to go back to that, but they are last people to claim have not paid their dues.
B747-437B, JonNYC and CodeAdam10 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Gary and Ben did this for years with no money and indeed virtually no readers. That doesn't mean they would want to go back to that, but they are last people to claim have not paid their dues.
It's not an issue of "paying your dues." It's not like having high-quality content 10 years ago immunizes you from deceptive tactics and garbage that you profiteer off of now. (And Ben has never made a living in his life off of anything other than selling credit cards.)
The Points Guy was also a much better website before it was sold and when Brian had a somewhat normal job.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's crazy to think back to those days, but once upon a time, FTG and TPG were my top blogs to check.

Both, now, useless.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:04 pm

Leading Thoughts on Travel: Man Uses Magazine Cover as ID for Airport Security
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have to wonder when VFTW will just end up another abandoned blog.
You're the only one wondering that, as there's not the slightest reason to.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're the only one wondering that, as there's not the slightest reason to.
Do you really think that the VFTW blog has an infinite life as an active business? Most businesses eventually die off one way or another.

And a person’s ability to perform a hobby is also finite. That is unless you believe VFTW’s principal to be immortal.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 6, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.