Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Lovely , Today the thought leader in libertarian travel bloggers obsessed with butts and sex used the occasion of Labor Day to bash a union. Such a classy guy.
Well, the FAs union has come out against letting a passenger's family into the airport's food court or shopping area. Apparent logic: this might interfere with an FA's job of thwarting terrorists in the terminal building.

You know it is some place for FAs to be when TSA appears to be comparatively more compassionate towards the general public!

Anyway, I never thought that Labor Day or Any Day should be an occasion to defend or even tolerate idiocy.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Lovely , Today the thought leader in libertarian travel bloggers obsessed with butts and sex used the occasion of Labor Day to bash a union. Such a classy guy.
I'm just excited to *finally* get his feeling on viewing mens' toes.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aktchi
Well, the FAs union has come out against letting a passenger's family into the airport's food court or shopping area. Apparent logic: this might interfere with an FA's job of thwarting terrorists in the terminal building.

You know it is some place for FAs to be when TSA appears to be comparatively more compassionate towards the general public!

Anyway, I never thought that Labor Day or Any Day should be an occasion to defend or even tolerate idiocy.
They didn't make that announcement on Monday. And there was gratuitous union bashing. The timing was suspect.

As for defending or tolerating idiocy, if you read Gary's blog, you should see that every day.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm just excited to *finally* get his feeling on viewing mens' toes.
Just when you thought I had seen it all...he talks about his feelings...about...toes. ...!

No worries, it is a good break for post #345 ,678 on selling the CSP card #rolleyes
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EP
Over the last week -- I feel like VFTW is in cahoots with TMZ -- TMZ Travel brought to you by VFTW
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:41 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Can't deny Gary's a hardworking individual, but with more of his focus going on his "real job" the blog has really fallen of a cliff quality wise. No real analysis of anything, no detailed trip reports just a steady stream of credit card shilling, click bait and general s**tposting.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by chad75
Can't deny Gary's a hardworking individual, but with more of his focus going on his "real job" the blog has really fallen of a cliff quality wise. No real analysis of anything, no detailed trip reports just a steady stream of credit card shilling, click bait and general s**tposting.
I got sucked into his libertarian-lite 'unpopular take' on airlines capping prices for hurricane evacuees. It was certainly far more OMNi/PR than points, miles and travel.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Things got pretty spicy in the comments over here:

https://blog.wandr.me/2017/09/airlin...ve-profitable/
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Seems like the VFTW author's words there are what can be expected of an industry apologist opposed to consumer-friendly-regulation.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yesterday was comment/twitterfight day:

Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, at least he's admitting he's a 13 y/o boy at heart.... The Peter Pan syndrome is strong with this one.
There's something ironic in Gary referring to it as "the hobby" and making it better, given Gary's role in making it (1) not a hobby but a business, and (2) worse.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:15 am

So I have a few tiers of folders in my Feedly for blogs that I follow. The top one a read a few times a day. The lowest I hit maybe twice a week.

VFTW has been steadily working its way down the ranks until I fully dumped it this weekend. It joins TPG, MMS, FTG, etc. as blogs that just have no value to me - complete wastes of time.

Too many slap-dash posts with clickbait titles.

I'm sure I'm not Gary's target reader here, so he won't miss me.

I think it's ironic that I still keep the pathetic Rene's Points in my lowest-rung folder. That guy actually has marginally more valuable info than Gary.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

I'm sure I'm not Gary's target reader here, so he won't miss me.
Actually I'm not even sure who Gary's target audience is anymore.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Actually I'm not even sure who Gary's target audience is anymore.
Those who click through for a new credit card.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Those who click through for a new credit card.
On that basis, surely writing about credit cards would be more effective? Is there a correlation between wanting to read about drunken cabin crew and wanting to get a new credit card?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.