Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I still laugh when John at Loyaltylobby.com deliberately transposed a few things in a hotel category list on his site to see who might copy it. Turns out Gleff did and without any attribution.
That wasn't exactly how it worked. IHG provided a list of 120 hotels which was, essentially, unformatted. John, possibly as he was in Asia, was the first person to format and post it.

You are then in a tricky boat. Should you spend an hour formatting the list - so it looks identical to one that is already online (so, effectively, a waste of an hour) - or just cut and paste? You can't copyright formatting!

Fine for John to tweak the list and call people out, but 99.9% of people would have done the same.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Raffles
That wasn't exactly how it worked. IHG provided a list of 120 hotels which was, essentially, unformatted. John, possibly as he was in Asia, was the first person to format and post it.

You are then in a tricky boat. Should you spend an hour formatting the list - so it looks identical to one that is already online (so, effectively, a waste of an hour) - or just cut and paste? You can't copyright formatting!

Fine for John to tweak the list and call people out, but 99.9% of people would have done the same.
Without the h/t? Um, no.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:09 am

Your continued attempts at justification of these things are getting pretty funny.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I remember that LL incident...I was shocked VFTW did not HT "Alan H." again
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Somebody just saved you an hour of work. You wouldn't acknowledge that? Poor form at the very least.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I miss the Thai restaurant reviews and occasional bootleg discount codes...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

LOL, um no. Not only did John spend the time to format the list, he purposely transposed a couple of words just to track anyone who plagiarized his formatting. @:-) Gary got caught, the creativity of your spin is good though.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I miss pancakes #notreally
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
MUST NOT BE ANY GOOD CHASE BA AFFILIATE OFFERS IN THE PIPELINE
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still laugh when John at Loyaltylobby.com deliberately transposed a few things in a hotel category list on his site to see who might copy it. Turns out Gleff did and without any attribution.
LOL, um no. Not only did John spend the time to format the list, he purposely transposed a couple of words just to track anyone who plagiarized his formatting. @:-) Gary got caught, the creativity of your spin is good though.
gary gave attribution which means not plagiarism
not sure who started those 2 false allegations
valid argument is regarding HOW it was done

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-leaked-early/
Head for Points published the full list.
http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/09...k-from-monday/
A big hat-tip to Loyalty Lobby who manually added the hotel names to the list, as the blog post produced by IHG did not include them!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not sure who started those 2 false allegations
I think we all know...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I think we all know...
Sounds like the PBB - the poster basher board.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I think we all know...
Who is we...both Renes ???
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no, i mean clearly/hopefully anyone who repeats it did not read his post. but who first posted it here.

IIRC all LL did was refer to people having copied (and nothing else) at least in LL's blog posts.

and people complain about accuracy and terminology and whatnot...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Whatever is strictly "required", I just think the classy thing to do would be to credit the original source (and a link back), not (or not only) a secondary source that also cited the originator. It's not really that much of an effort especially when the source saved the later person a bit of time and work.

Just a general comment but many people nowadays seem to think that a reference or a "H/T" alone immunizes one from the risk of plagiarism or copyright infringement - it doesn't, absent other appropriate permissions or applicable exceptions depending on the usage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.