Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Boardingarea blogger asks would you give Ambien to your children?

Boardingarea blogger asks would you give Ambien to your children?

Old May 16, 14, 7:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,468
Boardingarea blogger asks would you give Ambien to your children?

If this isn't a big sign of what happens when Boarding Area hires way too many bloggers who struggle to write worthwhile daily content:

As I write this, itís 10:30 at night here in California. I can hear my 11-year old daughter next door in her room. Sheís awake. She wonít fall asleep for at least another half an hour, even though sheís been in bed, lights out, since 9 pm. She got a lot of me in her. Normally she just deals with it, but she canít take naps, and of course once she wakes up she canít fall back asleep.

Iím thinking about our trip this summer. Within 30 days, weíre going to Japan, then France and Spain, then back to the US. Iím going to be relying heavily on Ambien to keep me sane. Currently, my daughter doesnít have that option.

However, I have to wonder: would you give Ambien to your kids?


Points and Pixie Dust's Blog Post
Astrophsx is offline  
Old May 16, 14, 7:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Posts: 4,195
OMG. that is unreal. I think there are at any time only 3 bloggers at BA that have anything meaningful to write about. I have pretty much stopped reading there.
cruisr is offline  
Old May 16, 14, 8:04 am
  #3  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 48,797
Lol, if BA was FlyerTalk that post would have been moved to OMNI!
kokonutz is offline  
Old May 16, 14, 8:23 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
If this isn't a big sign of what happens when Boarding Area hires way too many bloggers who struggle to write worthwhile daily content:

As I write this, itís 10:30 at night here in California. I can hear my 11-year old daughter next door in her room. Sheís awake. She wonít fall asleep for at least another half an hour, even though sheís been in bed, lights out, since 9 pm. She got a lot of me in her. Normally she just deals with it, but she canít take naps, and of course once she wakes up she canít fall back asleep.

Iím thinking about our trip this summer. Within 30 days, weíre going to Japan, then France and Spain, then back to the US. Iím going to be relying heavily on Ambien to keep me sane. Currently, my daughter doesnít have that option.

However, I have to wonder: would you give Ambien to your kids?


Points and Pixie Dust's Blog Post
Clearly she should just pump her Barclaycard link instead.

Not sure what your problem is with her blog? She has a differnet perspective than a lot of the other people on BoardingArea - I've found a few of her posts very interesting:

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingar....VNTWFitt.dpbs

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingar....KcgTpN5I.dpbs
Bulldog83 is offline  
Old May 16, 14, 3:53 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,128
I've never visited this blog before.... and I can never have that back.
jpetekYXMD80 is offline  
Old May 16, 14, 6:55 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
seems like a lot that is not simply linking credit card signups? isnt that a good thing?
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old May 16, 14, 6:59 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,143
I don't know why the blogger would post such a question - do you want random blog comments to guide your medication decisions? Must be a lack of CC links to push.

The prescribing information on Ambien is readily available or, I don't know, ask the pediatrician! (Ambien is not supposed to be given to anyone under 18, actually)

In fact this medication information cautions about using Ambien as a travel sleeping aid...

http://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

Avoid taking Ambien during travel, such as to sleep on an airplane. You may be awakened before the effects of the medication have worn off. Amnesia (forgetfulness) is more common if you do not get a full 7 to 8 hours of sleep after taking Ambien.
Having said all that, though, I'd conclude that Ambien is unnecessary... just read some of the BA blogs and be bored to sleep pretty quickly
84fiero is offline  
Old May 17, 14, 5:06 am
  #8  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,484
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Having said all that, though, I'd conclude that Ambien is unnecessary... just read some of the BA blogs and be bored to sleep pretty quickly
+1

I suppose some blogs could use this as a marketing element.

How about:

"Do you have problems sleeping at night? Come visit my blog."

or

"Havenīt read enough stupid things today? Read my blog now."

Previously many of the blogs were written by people who actually knew what they were talking about, often were real experts and probably knew more than 99% of us.

Now it seems as if most bloggers are neither particularly knowledgable nor particularly talented at writing.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old May 17, 14, 5:22 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere above the Mason-Dixon
Programs: DL Ham Samich
Posts: 1,574
Points and Pixie dust is a garbage new blog that has no real business at BA, but was welcomed by Randy just to line his pockets without concern for quality.
RFDMinnesota is offline  
Old May 17, 14, 6:36 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Previously many of the blogs were written by people who actually knew what they were talking about, often were real experts and probably knew more than 99% of us.

Now it seems as if most bloggers are neither particularly knowledgable nor particularly talented at writing.
yes, now that can apply to most blogs now. although i would not word the first/former part quite that strongly. (re being experts originally.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 18, 14 at 1:53 am
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old May 18, 14, 1:43 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Posts: 1,786
If the kid is screaming consistantly on the plane, which just happened to me last week from BZE-DFW...I say give them ambien, a couple shots of whiskey, and shut them the hell up

Obvisouly, and thankfully, I am not a parent
skibum7732 is offline  
Old May 18, 14, 9:47 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,468
And now for the pity post.

Instead of admitting that she made a mistake.. she goes with the pity post. Most of the post dealt with her sleeping problems and how using sleeping medication has helped her... then she turns to her kid and suggests maybe they are suffering similar issues. So why not simply ask for comments from other parents who may have gone through a similar situation? The follow up post simply side steps the issue and suggests that people are being over critical in the comments section.

Last edited by Astrophsx; May 18, 14 at 9:55 am
Astrophsx is offline  
Old May 18, 14, 10:38 am
  #13  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,112
Controversial/edgy stuff gets you traffic. Blogging 101.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old May 18, 14, 11:55 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,143
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
And now for the pity post.

Instead of admitting that she made a mistake.. she goes with the pity post. Most of the post dealt with her sleeping problems and how using sleeping medication has helped her... then she turns to her kid and suggests maybe they are suffering similar issues. So why not simply ask for comments from other parents who may have gone through a similar situation? The follow up post simply side steps the issue and suggests that people are being over critical in the comments section.
Well, she has now warned us that the blog is not for everyone... in fact, I'm now scared enough that I've added an alarm system to my house, just in case her blog morphs into a sentient being and tries to murder me in my sleep...
84fiero is offline  
Old May 21, 14, 2:03 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home Airports: CAE/CLT
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Posts: 5,437
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
And now for the pity post.

Instead of admitting that she made a mistake.. she goes with the pity post. Most of the post dealt with her sleeping problems and how using sleeping medication has helped her... then she turns to her kid and suggests maybe they are suffering similar issues. So why not simply ask for comments from other parents who may have gone through a similar situation? The follow up post simply side steps the issue and suggests that people are being over critical in the comments section.
I chimed in on this blog opining that such behavior is dangerous and in no way should Ambien be given to a child. (I have the credentials to do so)

It was funny how she backtracked when many readers called her on this.

In a later blog she basically called out everyone that criticized her on the Ambien question.
Gamecock is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread