Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Boardingarea blogger asks would you give Ambien to your children?

Old May 16, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

If this isn't a big sign of what happens when Boarding Area hires way too many bloggers who struggle to write worthwhile daily content:

As I write this, it’s 10:30 at night here in California. I can hear my 11-year old daughter next door in her room. She’s awake. She won’t fall asleep for at least another half an hour, even though she’s been in bed, lights out, since 9 pm. She got a lot of me in her. Normally she just deals with it, but she can’t take naps, and of course once she wakes up she can’t fall back asleep.

I’m thinking about our trip this summer. Within 30 days, we’re going to Japan, then France and Spain, then back to the US. I’m going to be relying heavily on Ambien to keep me sane. Currently, my daughter doesn’t have that option.

However, I have to wonder: would you give Ambien to your kids?

Points and Pixie Dust's Blog Post
Old May 16, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
OMG. that is unreal. I think there are at any time only 3 bloggers at BA that have anything meaningful to write about. I have pretty much stopped reading there.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Lol, if BA was FlyerTalk that post would have been moved to OMNI!
Old May 16, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
If this isn't a big sign of what happens when Boarding Area hires way too many bloggers who struggle to write worthwhile daily content:

As I write this, it’s 10:30 at night here in California. I can hear my 11-year old daughter next door in her room. She’s awake. She won’t fall asleep for at least another half an hour, even though she’s been in bed, lights out, since 9 pm. She got a lot of me in her. Normally she just deals with it, but she can’t take naps, and of course once she wakes up she can’t fall back asleep.

I’m thinking about our trip this summer. Within 30 days, we’re going to Japan, then France and Spain, then back to the US. I’m going to be relying heavily on Ambien to keep me sane. Currently, my daughter doesn’t have that option.

However, I have to wonder: would you give Ambien to your kids?

Points and Pixie Dust's Blog Post
Clearly she should just pump her Barclaycard link instead.

Not sure what your problem is with her blog? She has a differnet perspective than a lot of the other people on BoardingArea - I've found a few of her posts very interesting:

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingar....VNTWFitt.dpbs

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingar....KcgTpN5I.dpbs
Old May 16, 2014, 3:53 pm

I've never visited this blog before.... and I can never have that back.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems like a lot that is not simply linking credit card signups? isnt that a good thing?
Old May 16, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't know why the blogger would post such a question - do you want random blog comments to guide your medication decisions? Must be a lack of CC links to push.

The prescribing information on Ambien is readily available or, I don't know, ask the pediatrician! (Ambien is not supposed to be given to anyone under 18, actually)

In fact this medication information cautions about using Ambien as a travel sleeping aid...

http://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

Avoid taking Ambien during travel, such as to sleep on an airplane. You may be awakened before the effects of the medication have worn off. Amnesia (forgetfulness) is more common if you do not get a full 7 to 8 hours of sleep after taking Ambien.
Having said all that, though, I'd conclude that Ambien is unnecessary... just read some of the BA blogs and be bored to sleep pretty quickly
Old May 17, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Having said all that, though, I'd conclude that Ambien is unnecessary... just read some of the BA blogs and be bored to sleep pretty quickly
+1

I suppose some blogs could use this as a marketing element.

How about:

"Do you have problems sleeping at night? Come visit my blog."

or

"Haven´t read enough stupid things today? Read my blog now."

Previously many of the blogs were written by people who actually knew what they were talking about, often were real experts and probably knew more than 99% of us.

Now it seems as if most bloggers are neither particularly knowledgable nor particularly talented at writing.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Points and Pixie dust is a garbage new blog that has no real business at BA, but was welcomed by Randy just to line his pockets without concern for quality.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Previously many of the blogs were written by people who actually knew what they were talking about, often were real experts and probably knew more than 99% of us.

Now it seems as if most bloggers are neither particularly knowledgable nor particularly talented at writing.
yes, now that can apply to most blogs now. although i would not word the first/former part quite that strongly. (re being experts originally.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 18, 2014 at 1:53 am
Old May 18, 2014, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
If the kid is screaming consistantly on the plane, which just happened to me last week from BZE-DFW...I say give them ambien, a couple shots of whiskey, and shut them the hell up

Obvisouly, and thankfully, I am not a parent
Old May 18, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

And now for the pity post.

Instead of admitting that she made a mistake.. she goes with the pity post. Most of the post dealt with her sleeping problems and how using sleeping medication has helped her... then she turns to her kid and suggests maybe they are suffering similar issues. So why not simply ask for comments from other parents who may have gone through a similar situation? The follow up post simply side steps the issue and suggests that people are being over critical in the comments section.

Last edited by Astrophsx; May 18, 2014 at 9:55 am
Old May 18, 2014, 10:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Controversial/edgy stuff gets you traffic. Blogging 101.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Instead of admitting that she made a mistake.. she goes with the pity post. Most of the post dealt with her sleeping problems and how using sleeping medication has helped her... then she turns to her kid and suggests maybe they are suffering similar issues. So why not simply ask for comments from other parents who may have gone through a similar situation? The follow up post simply side steps the issue and suggests that people are being over critical in the comments section.
Well, she has now warned us that the blog is not for everyone... in fact, I'm now scared enough that I've added an alarm system to my house, just in case her blog morphs into a sentient being and tries to murder me in my sleep...
Old May 21, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive

I chimed in on this blog opining that such behavior is dangerous and in no way should Ambien be given to a child. (I have the credentials to do so)

It was funny how she backtracked when many readers called her on this.

In a later blog she basically called out everyone that criticized her on the Ambien question.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.