Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Yup, it's me posting in this thread that is leading to luckys contributions... Who knew that my posts on one of the least viewed FT sub-board had that power.

Also, I'm not sure that directly linking to kickstarter with commercial intents is allowed by the FT TOCs... Though I could be wrong
Old May 7, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Not sure why he didn't contact their PR department to try and get it as a sponsored trip. Given his rep for reviewing this type of product I would've thought it'd be an easy sell.
I'm a huge fan of Ben's blog but I see no incentive here for Etihad's PR.

Ben helps people spend and collect miles, points, and status.

The Residence targets people for whom miles, points, and status are meaningless.

I think it's a fairly entertaining idea, but not enough that I'll donate any money. I'll let others donate for my entertainment! And I don't have a strong opinion on whether this is tacky/unethical/etc.

The only this action this thread might spur me to is adding a poster to my ignore list for the first time.

ETA: And I'm not talking about freeloader...
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by freeloader
Yup, it's me posting in this thread that is leading to luckys contributions... Who knew that my posts on one of the least viewed FT sub-board had that power.

Also, I'm not sure that directly linking to kickstarter with commercial intents is allowed by the FT TOCs... Though I could be wrong
Never underestimate the power of the Angrys! I am sure TBB the KING of the Angrys will post all about it and add to the totals quickly tomorrow!

update: 9:38PM ET

Backers
$6,372
pledged of $25,000 goal
days to go

Again txs for yet another bump!
Old May 7, 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by davie355

The Residence targets people for whom miles, points, and status are meaningless.
You think Etihad is not pleased with and partly facilitated the massive publicity this new product has generated lately for their overall image?
Old May 7, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cruisr
Very sad. Sadder that many think this is fine.
Indeed. And other words come to mind such as pathetic, disgusting, pitiful. I'm surprised OMAAAT doesn't stand outside SEA with a cardboard sign.

As to the folks donating to this, well, P.T. Barnum is proven right once again.

Originally Posted by Delta Points
Not if - when - I bet he get's the 25k by this time tomorrow!
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Never underestimate the power of the Angrys! I am sure TBB the KING of the Angrys will post all about it and add to the totals quickly tomorrow!
There is a remarkable disconnect with reality if you think any of this thread is impacting OMAAT's panhandling effort. If you want some free constructive criticism that applies to your blog writing, some simple grammar checking would help a little bit.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Indeed. And other words come to mind such as pathetic, disgusting, pitiful. I'm surprised OMAAAT doesn't stand outside SEA with a cardboard sign.

As to the folks donating to this, well, P.T. Barnum is proven right once again.

There is a remarkable disconnect with reality if you think any of this thread is impacting OMAAT's panhandling effort. If you want some free constructive criticism that applies to your blog writing, some simple grammar checking would help a little bit.

Another great bump!

10:14PM ET update:

Backers
$6,589
pledged of $25,000 goal
days to go
Old May 7, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im kind of amazed at the funding. why a 24 day funding period? is that a kickstarter thing?

we can question his starting of the kickstarter, but hes proving successful, so there is that standpoint

although he may not reach it, and then kick himself for not having a lower amount and then keeping the money, have to admit i would be highly amused by that (because its almost $4K over cost, and thats without him putting any money in, and he has spent on luxury hotels if not flights as well)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 7, 2014 at 8:57 pm
Old May 7, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
You think Etihad is not pleased with and partly facilitated the massive publicity this new product has generated lately for their overall image?
They've instilled in the public that the new product is classy and exclusive on an unprecedented level, so a blog review adds no value to their PR.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:31 pm

If you do a search for almost any first class or business class review, Ben's blog would be in the top few searches. A lot of wealthy people read his blog, they might not be subscribed to his rss feed but chances are they've read reviews before.

If their PR team was smart they'd wait till kickstarter fully funds, offer to comp him, donate his money to some charity and then match it. It's ALWAYS better to control the story than let the story control you.

Also this isn't a revenue play by Etihad, it's a PR play. They'll also make a bunch of money by comping people at this rate and then calling it a donation. It's like when you go to a hotel in Vegas and see rooms for several hundred thousand dollars, nobody pays cash for those.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:33 pm

Exactly.. that's more like the price you will pay if you aren't very important to them.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
They've instilled in the public that the new product is classy and exclusive on an unprecedented level, so a blog review adds no value to their PR.
Agreed. I'd think they would want their product to be reviewed by authentic sources, people who can relate to their high-end target customer - not a kid gamer who shows people how to fly for the least amount of revenue.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:06 pm

Beyond the obvious egotism at play here, I feel this violates the Kickstarter TOS.

He isn't producing anything. Kickstarter projects must produce tangible goods.
Secondly, they explicitly prohibit "fund my life" style projects, which a "buy me an expensive plane ticket" project seems akin to.
Also, it seems to violate copyrights, using Etihad copyrighted material without Kickstarter having prior consent (this is admittedly not that big of an issue).
Old May 7, 2014, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
20 OT personal comments and response thereto deleted. You get personal, it gets deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old May 7, 2014, 11:25 pm

Kind of shameful asking his readers to pay for his $20,000 first class ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.