Reload this Page >

OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 4:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

When stories of this fundraiser were aired in UK media channels last week, several parallels were drawn to Stephen Sutton, a teenage cancer fundraiser fighting for his own life. Stephen passed away peacefully in his sleep today. The 19 year old from the UK raised more than US$5.36M for charity via social media. A true credit to humanity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27408818
Old May 14, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
In addition, he is requesting over $4000 more than the current cost of a AUH-LHR Residence ticket, which comes out to just over $20,900 at current AED-USD exchange rates. The AED is directly pegged to the USD, so it isn't a case of exchange rate fluctuations or anything like that. That's purely dishonest in my mind.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
In addition, he is requesting over $4000 more than the current cost of a AUH-LHR Residence ticket, which comes out to just over $20,900 at current AED-USD exchange rates. The AED is pegged to the USD, so it isn't a case of exchange rate fluctuations or anything like that. That's purely dishonest in my mind.
You have to remember that Kickstarter takes a cut. So he's probably compensating for that loss. Not to mention, he also probably wants some $$$ to get to AUH for that flight.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f0xx
You have to remember that Kickstarter takes a cut. So he's probably compensating for that loss. Not to mention, he also probably wants some $$$ to get to AUH for that flight.
KS takes 5%, which of $25000 would be $1250, leaving him with $23750. Subtracting $21000 for the ticket in the Residence, that leaves $2750. Ignoring for a moment that he has more than enough miles to get to/from LHR/AUH, he still claims it will cost a lot of money out of his own pocket. I don't see him needing $2750 to get to/from LHR/AUH, as he would certainly use miles to go to/from LHR/AUH. In addition, an economy ticket should not be more than $1200 for that routing if paying cash. If he is looking for business or first, a ticket should be way more in cash than $2750 for that routing, so the math continues to fail to add up to me. Is he paying for the person who joins him to go to/from LHR/AUH, or is that person expected to come up with those on their own? I'm ok with that aspect either way, just curious.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its official, the $25K is irrelevant

the publicity (and therefore also for etihad) is insane
Old May 14, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
KS takes 5%, which of $25000 would be $1250, leaving him with $23750. Subtracting $21000 for the ticket in the Residence, that leaves $2750. Ignoring for a moment that he has more than enough miles to get to/from LHR/AUH, he still claims it will cost a lot of money out of his own pocket. I don't see him needing $2750 to get to/from LHR/AUH, as he would certainly use miles to go to/from LHR/AUH. In addition, an economy ticket should not be more than $1200 for that routing if paying cash. If he is looking for business or first, a ticket should be way more in cash than $2750 for that routing, so the math continues to fail to add up to me. Is he paying for the person who joins him to go to/from LHR/AUH, or is that person expected to come up with those on their own? I'm ok with that aspect either way, just curious.
And on the KS page (I won't repeat the direct link here since it's posted upthread), he makes this statement:

...Otherwise the main challenges include finding reasonable positioning flights to Abu Dhabi, and home from London. If needed I can use my own resources for these flights though...
(bolding mine)

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
its official, the $25K is irrelevant

the publicity (and therefore also for etihad) is insane
Wait, you forgot about the publicity for Delta Points!!
Old May 14, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Prospero
When stories of this fundraiser were aired in UK media channels last week, several parallels were drawn to Stephen Sutton, a teenage cancer fundraiser fighting for his own life. Stephen passed away peacefully in his sleep today. The 19 year old from the UK raised more than US$5.36M for charity via social media. A true credit to humanity.

the only parallel is that social media was involved. In one case we have a young man helping others. In the other we have a young man helping himself. What a great person and what a great impact on people Stephen Sutton had during his life. He helped so many others and did so without trying to enrich himself. may he rest in peace. His parents can be so proud of what Stephen did with his life.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Wait, you forgot about the publicity for Delta Points!!
He hasn't posted his pom pom cheerleading posts in here lately.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:27 pm

One on hand you have a 19 year old terminal cancer patient raising money through social media to donate to charity and contribute to society before he died. On the other hand, you have a 25 year old blogger asking his readers to pay for his $21,000 first class ticket and other fees. I fail to see the parallels.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by lazard
One on hand you have a 19 year old terminal cancer patient raising money through social media to donate to charity and contribute to society before he died. On the other hand, you have a 25 year old blogger asking his readers to pay for his $21,000 first class ticket and other fees. I fail to see the parallels.
You pointed out the parallel.
One is using social media for his own personal/business gain.
The other was doing it to help others.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And on the KS page (I won't repeat the direct link here since it's posted upthread), he makes this statement:

(bolding mine)
Yes, but in one of his blog posts about it (perhaps the original?), or in the comments section somewhere, he mentions it will still cost him thousands of dollars out of pocket. I simply don't believe this, as it appears he would have well more than needed if he hit this target.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:59 pm

Yes, but in one of his blog posts about it (perhaps the original?), or in the comments section somewhere, he mentions it will still cost him thousands of dollars out of pocket. I simply don't believe this, as it appears he would have well more than needed if he hit this target.
you have to factor in his other expenses like his suites at the Four Seasons in Abu Dhabi and London.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lazard
you have to factor in his other expenses like his suites at the Four Seasons in Abu Dhabi and London.
there is no FS abu dhabi, FS dubai isnt open yet, dont think hes done many FS stays
(also there was a time when membership rewards had FS stay certificates)
only two aman stays, one as guest of travel agent on discounted rate, and one before a price increase

edit - forgot about maryah, following dated 4/16/2014 says 2016
http://www.cityscapeabudhabi.com/en/...essOnAlMaryah/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 14, 2014 at 10:37 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there is no FS abu dhabi, FS dubai isnt open yet, dont think hes done many FS stays
(also there was a time when membership rewards had FS stay certificates)
only two aman stays, one as guest of travel agent on discounted rate, and one before a price increase
no FS is Abu Dhabi...yet. It's scheduled to be finished next year.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

(bolding mine)
Oh I definifely agree with you on that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.